D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 Self-Calculating Character Sheet (Excel 2000)

RiTz21

Explorer
Pasus Nauran said:
Nice sheet. This actually has one of the cleanest layouts I've ever seen in an Excel character sheet. How long did it take you to create?

Thank you !!
I've been working so long on it, that I decided the quality justified the request for payment.

Pasus Nauran said:
I'm curious: what kind of reception have you had regarding payments and donations? I'm thinking of setting up for donations regarding my character sheet, but I'm somewhat wary of the concept that having recieved payment of some sort I would be expected to provide support and updates. I do these things anyway, but don't want to feel forced into doing it.

Good luck on the shareware concept, BTW

I got both sides of the coin - Some people think it's a steal with all the features/quality/time saving the Sheet gives them, while others prefer to point out they can create a Character Sheet like this in 10 minutes... (yeah right...). Initially, it was Donationware, but I received many suggestion/opinions that it more shareware, so I switched it to that. And indeed it is ALOT of work simply updating every registered users with New versions of the Sheet... Of course those bitching about the "high price" have no idea about that... But you know what, It's preferable to have a small user base of Quality people than having a bunch of those bitching people... And I receive many suggestions from my registered users to help improve the Sheet...

On a last note, when I saw that thousands of people were downloading my sheet, and having received very very little "donations", I asked myself: "Why should they reap the rewards of my hard work??? - I don't OWN them anything..." - That was the final straw that pushed me to go Shareware - After spending MONTHS of work on it, I saw no reasons to be Santa Claus for the Masses... (And the fact that I'am Jobless because of the 9/11 events is'nt helping either...)

RiTz21

MarauderX

Explorer
RiTz21 said:
Thank you !!
... others prefer to point out they can create a Character Sheet like this in 10 minutes... (yeah right...)...

I guess I will put mine together with some pretty pictures and try to update it for dual classes. If there's money to be made, I think it's time for some competition... heheh... just give me a few months to make some time.

Let me take a look at yours for a bit, but don't worry I won't be stealing a bit of it, just want to set up mine differently from yours. BTW, do you have a PDF version yet?

Pasus Nauran

First Post
RiTz21 said:
...while others prefer to point out they can create a Character Sheet like this in 10 minutes... (yeah right...).

HAHAHA!!! Yeah, I've never had anyone suggest this to me, I have had some feature suggestions in which the user clearly didn't understand the magnitude of implementing what they were suggesting. Even I didn't really grasp the work involved in creating a auto-calculating character sheet until I had already embarked on the project.

A registered user database is a great idea though! Hope you don't mind, but I think I'm going to steal that concept.

MarauderX said:
BTW, do you have a PDF version yet?

Not likely. There's no way I've heard of to convert Excel spreadsheets into PDF forms, and the coding languages used in Excel (spreadsheet calculations and VBA) are VERY different from Javascript (which is used in Acrobat).

If you want something in PDF to work from, feel free to check out my sheet (in my signature). I don't mind if you steal the code, though I haven't documented it fully.

RiTz21

Explorer
MarauderX said:
I guess I will put mine together with some pretty pictures and try to update it for dual classes. If there's money to be made, I think it's time for some competition... heheh... just give me a few months to make some time.

Don't hold your breath for cash... if I calculate the time I put in the sheet, versus the registered users, I get a salary of 5 pennies an Hour... Not much to pay the rent I'am afraid... You'll see when you release yours... (and let me say "I told you !" right now !! ehhehe)

MarauderX said:
Let me take a look at yours for a bit, but don't worry I won't be stealing a bit of it, just want to set up mine differently from yours. BTW, do you have a PDF version yet?

I use PDF versions only to make printouts. Not to be fillable. It *is* an Excel sheet... not a brain dead PDF :)

Pasus Nauran said:
HAHAHA!!! Yeah, I've never had anyone suggest this to me, I have had some feature suggestions in which the user clearly didn't understand the magnitude of implementing what they were suggesting. Even I didn't really grasp the work involved in creating a auto-calculating character sheet until I had already embarked on the project.

VERY few people understand how much work this is... The rules are so darn VAST... with lots of exceptions and variations !! But when you go Shareware, you get lots of these "know it all" kiddies who can't hold their "expert" opinon on the subject... Oh well.

Pasus Nauran said:
A registered user database is a great idea though! Hope you don't mind, but I think I'm going to steal that concept.

hehe hold off buying that 100Gig HD for that Database ... You will not need it :D

Pasus Nauran

First Post
RiTz21 said:
hehe hold off buying that 100Gig HD for that Database ... You will not need it :D

LOL. Oh, I know. ;) I've had roughly 20,000 downloads of my character sheet (throughout it's numerous revisions). And of all those potential users, I've only had feedback from maybe 30 people.

However, I got decent response to my request for beta testers. I got 14 testers in two days.

RiTz21 said:
It *is* an Excel sheet... not a brain dead PDF :)

Hey, don't knock the PDF! ;) PDF is my friend. And it's not always brain dead (take a look at my sheet for proof). :p

Last edited:

Greylock

First Post
Another bump

GAK! I'd a swore I'd never pay for something like this online, but I've been using your program for 6 weeks and finally figured you were due ;)

That, and I need the warhorse info and am considering taking a UA class ;p. Ya got me. Thanks again. And I'm sure my DM thanks you as well, for helping me straighten out the kinks in my char.

Greylock sends...

Asmo

First Post
This is exactly what I´ve been looking for for a long time and I would gladly pay for it. I have one problem: our group never switched to 3.5 so I wonder if this product will be avaible for probably quite a lot of 3.0 players?

Asmo

RiTz21

Explorer
Greylock said:
Another bump

GAK! I'd a swore I'd never pay for something like this online, but I've been using your program for 6 weeks and finally figured you were due ;)

That, and I need the warhorse info and am considering taking a UA class ;p. Ya got me. Thanks again. And I'm sure my DM thanks you as well, for helping me straighten out the kinks in my char.

Greylock sends...

THANKS !!!
If you have registered for the Sheet, you've probably received the newer version 4.20 I sent out yesterday... I'am sure you guys (and gals !!) will like the integrated feats ... !!

RiTz21

RiTz21

Explorer
Asmo said:
This is exactly what I´ve been looking for for a long time and I would gladly pay for it. I have one problem: our group never switched to 3.5 so I wonder if this product will be avaible for probably quite a lot of 3.0 players?

Asmo

I've been thinking about this some more (after I replied to your EMAIL) and I was wondering - Why can't you use the Sheet for D&D3.0 ? Since you can customize almost everything, you can probably get away with creating a D&D3.0 compatible character !!

Skills: You can re-create the "old" skills, like Innuendo.
Classes: If the 3.5 class is different from the 3.0 class, you can simply create a NEW class (Call it "Ranger3.0") and redefine everything about it to make it 3.0 compatible !!

Did I miss something that the sheet can't do to support D&D3.0 characters ? (a multi-class 3.0 character would probably the biggest obstacle since I don't (yet) allow defining 2 classes...)

RiTz21

Remove ads