D&D (2024) D&D 5.11 - the time of big change is over

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wanted a new edition and exciting changes to make the game better.
Oh well. We don't have game designers in charge of D&D anymore.
Well, there are still game designers, and they explicitly limiting all changes to those that excite people. 5E rules as they stand are extremely popular, and any change has to excite people more than ehatalrready in place while maintaining compatibility. That actually requires a lot of design work and data collection.

Results haven't been commented upon yet, we donknow who represents "most people" yet. There's still a significant shot that will make it through.
That’s my hope. I also understand that just because I like something doesn’t mean most people do. So ultimately I am sure I will be fine. I do really dislike the current Warlock and my work around is I just don’t play it.

Yeah I kind of feel this way too. I hoped this was an opportunity to make an already good game great. Will seem like a waste if after all this things are almost exactly the same. If they decide against things like weapon masteries I wish they could add them to an optional rules section.

I can imagine that WotC is having a heck of a time balancing survey feedback and their desire to drive sales. Even with their product diversification efforts, like VTT, generating hype around the need to "upgrade" to the latest "edition" has to be part of their strategy.

In other words, there needs to be enough upgrades to make buying the revised books (for the "same" edition of the game) worthwhile. I suspect they are working hard on the messaging for that campaign, as well as perhaps adding in options for some of the things we've seen in UA to sweeten the offering.
Yeah they are trying to thread a very fine needle indeed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I kind of feel this way too. I hoped this was an opportunity to make an already good game great. Will seem like a waste if after all this things are almost exactly the same. If they decide against things like weapon masteries I wish they could add them to an optional rules section.
I have a good feeling about weapon masteries, actually. Slow and steady changes were always the name of the game, here. Honestly, just the change from Rave to Species is probably the radical refresh the game needs to maintain cultural relevance all by itself. But in the end, theybwill no doubt put out new variation on all the Classees that appeal more strongly to people.

aco175

Legend
My hope is that the discussion process has inspired and will continue to inspire other developers and homebrewers to try the more interesting ideas that have been discussed. I've certainly been putting a lot of design work in because of it.
If there are no big changes, then I would be more interested in what the 3pp are doing. I'm assuming that most of the others will be just as compatible.

HammerMan

Legend
Yeah my first choice was through out back comparability and make a better core game. But roll back so it is fully the same game with minor tweeks is the other way of handling the complaint.
Yeah they are trying to thread a very fine needle indeed.
Yeah they are in danger of standing in the middle of the road and getting hit by cars going both ways. This may be them deviating what lane to stay in.

Remove ads