D&D 5E [D&D 5e] It's a Brand New World [FULL]

industrygothica

Adventurer
World-Building time...

Phoenix8008 recently messaged me about finding a church of ... (honestly, I can't remember who at the moment) in Silverport. It raised some questions for me.

For me, I'm picturing Silverport as a loose collection people from everywhere... Kind of a wild-west type of place where you wouldn't be really surprised by anything you saw. This is the main docks and bazaar districts that I'm talking about. The locals would live out of the area on their various farmlands and whatnot. I'm envisioning the Elven nobles living in some historic walled section separated from the rest of the city, being fairly aloof as to the ongoings of the city proper. As long as the land is tended and the economy is thriving, the pretty much keep to themselves.

That being said, I don't envision a large church dedicated to any particular deity, but maybe smaller sects scattered throughout the bazaar, tucked away in their respective corners to practice whatever it is they're going to practice. Maybe followers of a particular deity have squatted in an abandoned building and are trying to gain a foothold in the city?

Thoughts?

Also, not sure if I said this before or not, but as far is this particular game goes, we're using the default Forgotten Realms pantheon. If I ever manage to get our notes organized into a formal document of some sort, I'll try to write it as generic as possible so that someone can just plug in whatever pantheon they feel like using.

As for my lack of posting, I apologize. My intent was to give you all time to work out the details of why you'll be travelling together and whatnot. I've also been working on the story a little bit. There are some pieces that just aren't coming together for me... more than likely pieces that you'll never see, but just elements I need to have in my mind in order for it to make sense for me. I think I might be a little overly-anal about certain details that, in the end, probably won't much matter. Anyway, I just want you all to know that I have not abandoned you in any way, and that this game is still constantly on my mind. I just want to put out quality work, so I'm taking my time to think it through. I hope that's understandable. And, more importantly, I hope it's effective! :)

I think I've got it worked out enough in my head to start putting something together and hopefully get a post out in the next few days. Until then, please carry on with the role playing, and give me your thoughts about the above.

-IG

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For me, I'm picturing Silverport as a loose collection people from everywhere... Kind of a wild-west type of place where you wouldn't be really surprised by anything you saw. This is the main docks and bazaar districts that I'm talking about. The locals would live out of the area on their various farmlands and whatnot. I'm envisioning the Elven nobles living in some historic walled section separated from the rest of the city, being fairly aloof as to the ongoings of the city proper. As long as the land is tended and the economy is thriving, the pretty much keep to themselves.

That being said, I don't envision a large church dedicated to any particular deity, but maybe smaller sects scattered throughout the bazaar, tucked away in their respective corners to practice whatever it is they're going to practice. Maybe followers of a particular deity have squatted in an abandoned building and are trying to gain a foothold in the city?

Thoughts?

I think part of the issue is that you've got an idea in your head already -- all this (above) seems great and workable, but I don't have strong enough feelings to argue otherwise (in part because I don't know how invested in Silverport to get, esp. if we're just passing through).

I do think in a world where deities can objectively express power and where there is actual competition for exclusive allegiance (and so very different from Greek polytheism, for example) there would be lots of temples actively out-doing one another; that at the dog races people would place bets based on the religion of its owner, etc. But that's more religious-intense than (I think) most moderns want.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I have been absent the past couple of days due to not being able to get on EN World at all. :p So, I'm playing catch-up.

I like the idea of the various gods having small cults as opposed to huge temples and such. Gives the setting a sort of secret society/intrigue spin which could be nifty. :)

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'm okay with either option. Maybe religion is frowned on by the higher ups (they don't want competition for people's devotion!) and therefore the religious types keep it small and private to keep from getting in trouble with the local authorities. I'm not even certain Justice can declare himself a Paladin even if he found a church now. He could tell them what happened to the priest he found on the island (I know, I still haven't finished that part of my origin story, but it's in my head!) so that they are aware in case they knew of him.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Some of you may recall me mentioning the town of Bjorah's Cliff (on the Central Marches map in the first post of this thread). I've decided to enter it in the monthly challenge over at the Cartographer's Guild. The theme for the challenge is to make a village map complete with demographics. Seems appropriate since we already know a little about that area. Anyway, if you want to follow the progresss, here's the link: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=30097

Check out some of the other maps while you're there. Those guys are amazing!

-IG

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: IG: How carefully do you want us to track food? What's the shelf life?
Garrison has 5 days rations in his burglar's pack, but that was bought before the sea voyage, and so probably is no good. He's got 5gp (I think he has made no purchases since character creation, and so that's 10 days' food if he spends it all. I think he's also received no severance pay from the ship, or share of treasure, etc.)

Are you also measuring encumbrance (do you want us to tally up weights carried)? Have those who have been drinking been spending coin? If so how much? (According to our character sheets, we each have between 1.5 and 25 gp each, but I think none of that's been updated in any way).

We've been at this game for five months now, and we're for the first time heading out on an expedition as a group. I know I'd appreciate being told what specifically you are expecting from us as players, what do you want us to keep tally of.

If us buying and keeping track of rations is important to you, please let us know. we all might have some updating to do.

Thanks.

Good Lord.. has it been five months already? Wow..

I think it's safe to ignore the shelf life and assume it's safe to eat for as long as you have it. For the most part I'm not worried about encumbrance either, unless it gets ridiculous. Obviously you're not going to be lugging around an anvil and a few greataxes with no penalties.

The only one that has specifically spent any coin is Nissa to pay off the innkeeper.

As for treasure from the ship's encounter... oops. :) I can't imagine the Captain was terribly concerned about any severance pay, given the circumstances. However, after looting the pirates of their belongings, we'll say everyone walks away with about 50 gold each.

I am going to try to pick up the pace a little bit here. I won't promise that I'll be successful, but I am definitely going to try.

industrygothica

Adventurer
If you're interested, the Bjorah's Cliff map is coming along nicely. Voting starts on Tuesday, so it'll be done for sure by then. Take a look and read the text... there is some minor stuff in there that'll be added to the big maps when I get time.

-IG

Remove ads