• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape - In Through the Out Door

Unsung

First Post
The mezzoloth drives the man-catcher into the left shoulder of Shard's gleaming armor-- hard enough to dent and bruise if not yet draw blood. Unfortunately for it, the force of landing the blow causes it to lose its footing on the lake of conjured grease, and it tips back and slams to the floor again, spreading the grease further up the walls.

Behind it, the two Torch refugees look like they're having their share of trouble navigating the spell as well, but they're crawling away down the hall, away from the fiend.

OOC: So that's a hit against Shard for 9 damage, but the mezzoloth fails its save and falls prone again. That means advantage on all attacks against the prone beastie from within 5 feet of it.

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
OOC: I like to imagine a grease spell doesn't cover an area in a perfect circumference, but Graydon should feel free to correct me on this. But however that works, I'll say one of you can find a spot that's not quite covered in grease but is still within 5 feet of the monster.

Quickleaf

Legend
The floating spellbook glances back down the stairs nervously. Forgetting he cannot cast spells in the heat of the moment, Shandrizar begins to utter an incantation. "Lubracious Expulsion! Damn it!" When nothing happens he curses under his breath, and then raises his papery brows to Graydon, "Well, I guess we'll learn whether a spellbook's binding is considered a magical threat..."

Hurtling forward, the spellbook batters the prone glistening black mezzoloth's face with his thick leather cover and spine.

OOC: Making 3 attacks, thanks to Martial Arts and 1 ki point on Flurry of Blows. With advantage because within 5 feet of prone mezzoloth and making melee attack.

All three hit AC 18 for total of 24 bludgeoning damage.

Rolling "1d20 +5 >=AC 18" 2 times
1: 8 + 5 = 13 ... failure
2: 16 + 5 = 21 ... success

1: 20 + 5 = 25 ... success (critical hit)
2: 6 + 5 = 11 ... failure

1: 15 + 5 = 20 ... success
2: 4 + 5 = 9 ... failure

Rolling "1d4 +5" 3 times for damage
1: 4 + 5 = 9
2: 2 + 5 = 7
3: 2 + 5 = 7

Rolling "1d4" for critical hit damage

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Shard reeled under the force of the monster's attack, and when she brought her shield back up to bear her arm throbbed in tempo with her shoulder. This thing was strong! Despite the fear, or maybe because of it?, she felt a fierce exhilaration flare up within her.

"Come, unclean thing," she whispered with a slowly spreading grin. "Would you spar with me?"

Light blossomed from her forehead again, this time enveloping the hallway almost entirely. It seethed and writhed like a living thing; wrapping itself around Shard and wreathing her with a fierce countenance. Against those she called ally, it was a warm and welcome feeling, like the first day of summer hitting one's face. To the demonic creature before her, the light burned and seared...etching pits into its carapace and cauterizing the wounds in its flesh.

The flare faded, leaving Shard standing in the center of a larger figure, a translucent thing made of light that stood half again as high as her and mimicked her movements as she made them. It was too indistinct to see clearly, but the implication was plain; something greater than she had her back now.

(Channel Divinity for [roll0] radiant damage to any hostile target within 30' of Shard for an action, and Shield of Faith for +2 to AC as a bonus action. Constitution save DC 15 for half damage)

Pembinasa

First Post
Speaking scathingly to his book, Graydon answered "Or, you could try NOT following everyone else's bad example and- ngh." He sighed, shaking his head. NO idea why everyone is prizing slow inefficient murder over a quick and clean escape. Even the purported ARCHMAGE would rather knock him back in a brawl than try to swoop around and push him down the stairs and away! Am I the only one who's ever been taught 'a battle avoided is a battle won- or more importantly, survived'? Well, on their heads be their folly, I guess.

A mystic pass of his hand, and the grease disappeared; Graydon hustled forward to the monstrous creature, gave it a vigorous WHACK with his quarterstaff, and kept hurrying past.

OOC: 1d20+2=7, advantage 1d20+2=18
Damage 1d6=4

Upon managing to get out of the thing's reach, the wizard called back "Rusty, could you please hit the shiny black thing with your sharp bits? He wants to take away your parts, and we want to stop him."

Probably won't work, but should be worth a try.

OOC: Grease is pretty consistently shown to be a contiguous puddle of Slip 'n Slide a few inches thick and 10 feet wide, or as close as can be achieved when in tight quarters. It's a hazard for OCS as well as monsters, and rightly so; otherwise, the monsters could just step on the dry spots and make the spell pointless!

That said, how is the monster able to stand up, move through difficult terrain, AND attack all in one round? Oh, well; it's down, we're up, floor's clear, everybody get their Advantaged licks in while you have the chance!

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Haha, [MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] that was my thinking precisely. But I figured narratively a little book pushing a prone mezzoloth was stretching credulity. Plus I'm phenomenally bad at shoving (low strength) until I get a monastic tradition and then I can mega-whack monsters back 15 feet!

As for the mezzoloth standing, moving, and attacking, it makes plenty of sense. In 5e, standing only requires half your movement. So if it's speed was 30, then after standing it would be able to move 7.5 feet thru difficult terrain.

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
OOC: What Quickleaf said-- it's using a reach weapon, too. But to be clear, I wasn't meaning that grease left empty spots within its area of effect, just that it doesn't necessarily form a perfect circle or square at its edge. Theatre of the mind means this is abstract, but generally I let this kind of descriptive advantage work in the party's favour. I figure that's fair, since NPCs typicallyget the edge in in numbers, be that ability scores, number of attacks, hp, or raw damage or just getting to come into an encounter fresh while the PCs are at the end of their adventuring day.

Rusty, don't forget you get advantage on your attack roll. :)

Remove ads