D&D and Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humanophile

First Post
*sighs*
First, about the drug references in whatever media...

People will push their agenda and see what they want to in any case. In this case, drug users will be more than happy to point out any bit of druglore they can find. It's like the marajuana user who can tell you about papermaking, history, mythology, textiles, and medicine, but only as it pertains to pot. Some hints might be there, some not, but don't take the opinion of "some guy on the internet" too highly.

Second, KingThrovar especially, "realistic" rules for drugs and druglike effects in game are probably good, especially from a more official source. (I haven't seen LoD, doubt if I want to, but that's because it's a FR book.) There are rules for D&D drugs out there, there'll always be some stoner making his own rules and kids thinking they're hot stuff, so it's best that the rules show drugs as overall detrimental. Preferably even showing that ones with a correspondence in real life have no tangible benefit. (Do any of them help other than painkilling/tranquilizing properties?) And as for magical drugs, some would have good effects, some might even give the high with none of the downs (except killing your free time and your treasury). Like I said, it's worth at least some thought, since gems like the Stoner Warrior are already out there.

JLXC

First Post
I have to laugh. Drugs are Evil! Drugs are Bad!

I don't feel I'm going to off topic to laugh at this. Coffee is a Drug. Nicotine is a Drug. Chocolate is a Drug. Alchohol is a Drug. It's all in D&D and real life. Just because a "FEW" people have decided what Is and Is NOT illegal in the real world (OT - Which is a joke really) does not mean that there cannot be a SAFE and FUN drug in D&D. I see many spells and alchemical potions that would just bring pleasure with NO PAIN. That's what really will stick into peoples craw about it and will get them on the bandwagon of how "Drugs is Bad" even in an imaginary place. Just because some people are weak in this world and other worlds, does not mean Drugs is Bad. People are bad. People are dumb. Drugs don't change that.

Also, since Alchohol exists in fantasy... isn't it a little late in the whole process to scream "NO DRUGS!"

OT - My dad is a cop and I was in the Army. You know what is REALLY bad? NOT DRUGS. Alchohol. This "Legal" Drug kills more people every year than Every other thing combined, especially is you count accidents and all... but you know who has more Alchoholics than any other jobs? Cops and Soldiers. So the war on Drugs is merely the War on YOUR Drugs. Their Drug is ok. So is smoking. WHAT a joke. Take your rhetoric somewhere else, most people on this board have an IQ of over a 100 and more than a high school education. The Lie is more damaging than the truth.

mmadsen

First Post
There are rules for D&D drugs out there, there'll always be some stoner making his own rules and kids thinking they're hot stuff, so it's best that the rules show drugs as overall detrimental. Preferably even showing that ones with a correspondence in real life have no tangible benefit. (Do any of them help other than painkilling/tranquilizing properties?)

There are obviously many real-world drugs that have positive effects, when used correctly, for soldiers and athletes. Pilots during the Gulf War used amphetamines to maintain alertness, and they're presumably using them now in Afghanistan. A medieval warrior would obviously benefit from modern "strength potions". An adventurer climbing at high altitude could continue his trek with the help of coca leaves.

The fact that a drug has recreational uses does not mean that it cannot have positive uses; it just means that "druggies" are more likely to rationalize that their use isn't harmful.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Greetings:

On tobaco:
I'm an occasional smoker, and I have smoked cuban cigars and "sheesha" (a form of traditional flavored arabic tobaco, smoked with a waterpipe), and nicotine does have a certain kick, a kick that I haven't found in cigarettes.

On potions:
I think the notion of characters being addicted to potions (or spells for that matter) that increase abilities is pretty interesting. My cleric casts an extended bull's strenght on himself almost every day...

Ancalagon

Vaxalon

First Post
There's a player in my campaign whose character is ALWAYS seeking out mind-affecting substances. I have made most drugs in my game stat-damaging poisons; hallucinogens affect Wis, Euphorics affect Int, that kind of thing.

In spite of that, this character is always collecting up every herb and mushroom.

KingThorvar

First Post
JLXC said:
Alchohol. Their Drug is ok. So is smoking. WHAT a joke. Take your rhetoric somewhere else, most people on this board have an IQ of over a 100 and more than a high school education.

That's why I don't drink or smoke either... so you're off base, pal.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I think that if you were to include drugs in a campaign world - magical drugs, that is - you should have some kind of addiction mechanic. I'm thinking about doing this for all potions in my game world. Chewing on "gursnip root" (Endurance potions) may make you ignore pain and feel like you can go on forever, but then you crash hard. (Maybe once the effect of the potion wears off, you take 1 point of temporary Con damage?)

Each applicaton of a potion neccesitates a Fort (or Will) save. The DC is set by the individual potion. Each extra use of the same potion over a set time period raises the DC by 1. If the Fort (or Will) save fails, the user is Addicted.

Addiction, along with its role-playing effects, means that twice as much potion must be consumed to gain the same effect. As well, while Addicted, Con and Wis are reduced by 1.

It is possible to have multiple states of Addiction to the same substance. If you fail two "gursnip root" addiction checks, Con and Wis will be reduced by 2 and four times as much gursnip root will be necessary to gain the normal effects.

Whether or not you believe that drug use should be included in a campaign world is up to the individual DM. I don't see how discussing such an issue would be problematic.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Stepping Behind the Moderator's Podium in a Nifty Looking Sweater vest and black glasses, holding a pointer, Nemmerle points to an overhead projection behind him on the wall. He points to the following sign:

Discussion of Drugs and their physical and social effects to characters and a game world: OKAY!

Debate on drugs and drug policy in the real world: NOT OKAY

Thank you.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Maybe when a wizard or sorcerer casts a spell, runes appear in the air before him/her saying "Winners Don't Use Drugs"? ;)

This is an interesting topic. The cliche for adventures is " you all meet at an inn..." and the bar room brawl was a classic 1e pastime, and dwarves were/are renowned for their ability to imbibe. Heck, in 3e we have the Drunken Master in Sword and Fist.

It seems that the use of alcohol is more accepted in society, and therefore less controversial. I mean, you'll likely never see the "Heroin Junkie" Prestige Class, but we can have the Drunken Master. Sure, alcohol is legal, but I've personally seen it ruin more lives than any other drugs. Yet there is implicit alcohol abuse right in the game, and few, if any, object.

Note: I'm not criticizing or espousing use of anything. That's not my point. It just struck me that alcohol appears in D&D quite a bit, yet even the mention of drug use in-game is close to taboo. It's a strange dichotomy.

Oh, and as for Tolkien and his "pipe-weed" - I'm certain he meant tobacco, but if it hadn't been for the perception it was something more, the popularity of the Trilogy - which really exploded in the mid-to-late 60s - may have been a bit less enthusiastic amongst college students. Just a bit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads