• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the Implied Setting

ruleslawyer

Well, you don't need to "depower" spellfire; just make it so that only Shandril (or your friendly neighborhood PC) can use it, and you'll do just fine. (Incidentally, in a world with less magic, spellfire is correspondingly *less* powerful, not more.)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Rule,

On what planet are you living on? Sure they might not be like super-saiyans, but they are darn close. Hell Shandril blew up a draco-lich and not just any old one, but Sammaster's finest! :p You tell me, how broken is that? Now if you say "Well I'd get rid of draco-liches." I might see that but then you have to elminate the Cult of the Dragon and that kind of weakens the setting to me. But there you are.

Fenes

First Post
Oh, yes. We have a spellfire wielder in our campaign, and it's not really that useful or powerful compared to his sorcerer spells.

Lucias

First Post
Mallus said:
Out of curiosity, which systems? I'm tempted to adapt/run my homebrew using different rules (T20 and M&M 2nd ed. are mighty tempting), but neither project strikes as less work than using D&D. Just different work. Plus, I sorta like when D&D doesn't fit my homebrew, when its built-in assumptions knock up against or flat-out intrude on my conception of the setting. The results of the collision have proven interesting, like a Reece's peanut butter cup.

Like Savage Worlds. It's my holy grail. It's the system that completly caters to how I run a game and it's phenomenally easy to adapt to vast variety of settings.

Like D&D, it has its own assumptions (mostly that it's very cinematic), but Savage Worlds' assumptions and my own match up very well.

It's not good for running everything, though. It can't give you the feel of D&D, which I'll add, is because of the baggage D&D carries with it. It works great for fantasy, but it doesn't work well for D&D.

D&D is it's own beast with all the ups and downs that come with it.

fusangite

First Post
Nightfall said:
It's only finite as your imagination.
No. there are all kinds of worlds I can imagine that I can't express in D&D terms, starting with the one we're inhabiting right now.
ruleslawyer said:
Depends on your definition of the "D&D system," I guess. Given the number of house rules and campaign tweaks I had in my 1e/2e games, I feel like most d20 heroic fantasy variants are basically as "D&D" as my previous-edition games were "D&D" games. It's hard for me to see games like Iron Heroes as stand-alones so much as rules variants.
Let me put it this way. I understand the rules of the game to be the physics of the universe. By virtue of being a game system, any set of rules will exclude certain kinds of settings because physical laws are an aspect of setting.

The D20 skills mechanic is certainly one I have used in other systems I have designed. I guess you could define these settings as OGL by virtue of my use of it. But I would not hold with the belief that all settings can be represented by OGL systems any more than I would with the view that BRP or GURPS can represent all settings.
Mallus said:
Doesn't that depend, more or less completely, on the specific group of player's specific set of expectations?
No. You can't represent a Christian system, for instance, in D&D because in D&D, evil is an active principle not simply the absence of good. You can't represent settings where people suffer and are motivated by permanent maiming or deformity as a result of specific battles, if you use the D&D damage mechanic. And so on.
I agree with your statement, in theory. But it doesn't jive with what I've experienced in practice. People find ways to make a of wide variety of worlds work for D&D. Attribute that to whatever you will; gamer creativity, ignorance, pure mule stubborness.
What I have seen is a lot of shoehorning of worlds that should be run under other systems into D20. What I have seen are a lot of worlds where the physical laws of the universe work one way near the characters but increasingly differently, the more remote from the party the event is. It's kind of like an amateurish graft of quantum physics/postmodernism onto the system to try and bridge the gap between the actual physics of the world and those prescribed by the rules.

This was brought into sharp relief in a game in which I played where our characters witnessed the hamstringing of an enemy war captive, a fate that the PCs could neither inflict nor suffer because of the game's damage mechanic. Nothing, in my opinion, is more corrosive to suspension of disbelief is forcing people to confront events that can only be caused by NPCs and only happen to NPCs because they exist outside the rules.
Take a look at some of campaign worlds described in the Story Hours, created with D&D 3.x. SepII's Wyre, Destan's Valus, my own beloved CITY.
I'm not arguing that there exists no range in what D20 enables. You should see some of my D&D settings. What I am arguing is that just like the sonnet form, or cartouche painting, D&D radically circumscribes and structures creativity. Is this good or bad? I have no opinion. It is good for some things and bad for others, I guess.
I can see how extrapolating a world out of the ruleset can be enjoyable (thought its not my thing). But you shouldn't overstate the case regarding the difficulty of "shoehorning" all manner of wildly different campaign worlds into some reasonable facsimile of the current D&D rules.
I'm not overstating the point at all. Some people can tolerate high levels of dissonance between their empirical experience of the universe's laws and the theory of universal law in which they purport to believe. But that tolerance doesn't mean there is not profound dissonance.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Well, you don't need to "depower" spellfire; just make it so that only Shandril (or your friendly neighborhood PC) can use it, and you'll do just fine. (Incidentally, in a world with less magic, spellfire is correspondingly *less* powerful, not more.)

Yup. It's not as if it's something every second character, npc, and farm animal can use.

It's like saying "artifacts are overpowered". Yeah, of course, stuff like the Head of Vecna has truly awesome powers, but they're not exactly commonplace (not even in the Realms. The Aurora Realms Shop doesn't sell artifacts)

Nightfall said:
On what planet are you living on?

What tsunami of anger are you surfing on?

Hell Shandril blew up a draco-lich and not just any old one, but Sammaster's finest!

They do that.

Give a commoner 1 a tactical nuke and he can kill a great white wyrm with no problems. But since you don't hand them out along with potions of cure light wounds, you can't really call them overpowered.

Spellfire is meant to be powerful. And rare. That's why it's not a happy event to possess it. You might be able to blast a couple of dracoliches away, but what about a couple of dracoliches and half of Faerûn (the power-hungry half)? That's what will probably hunt you.

If you find yourself being one of the Spellfire Wielder, by all the gods, make sure noone ever finds out about it.

I think I'll grant spellfire to the next powergamer's character who displeases me. I can't think of a more cruel punishment for a powergamer: Having the Ultimate Power and but being forced to hide it, not to use it, lest you're as good as dead.

Nightfall

Fung,

Why would you want to create the real world? I mean doesn't reality bite enough without trying to make it into a game?

Tactical nuke... :p Now there's an image that goes a long well with "low-medium magic".

Point of such powers is no one uses them because it kills them as well as their enemies.

Sorry but if you want to inflict that on a player, I'm sure they'll love you for it. I know a couple friends that would too.

But hey it's your call Kae'yoss.

Fenes,

Maybe if he had like many more Con points than Cha scores...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nightfall said:
Fung,

Why would you want to create the real world? I mean doesn't reality bite enough without trying to make it into a game?

Tactical nuke... :p Now there's an image that goes a long well with "low-medium magic".

Point of such powers is no one uses them because it kills them as well as their enemies.

Sorry but if you want to inflict that on a player, I'm sure they'll love you for it. I know a couple friends that would too.

But hey it's your call Kae'yoss.

Fenes,

Funny. Bye. I'd say "be seeing you" but I won't.

Fenes

First Post
Nightfall said:
Fenes,

He has a constitution of 16. However, between the need to keep spellfire secret and the limited variety of it, his spells (level 9 sorcerer) are vastly more useful and powerful. It's not as if he'd get targetted a lot with spells, and readying an action to absorb a spell is inefficient most of the time compared to simply blasting the enemy with a spell.

Fung, I think you take the rules a bit too literally. Just because the combat system is abstract and uses hitpoints does not mean someone can't lose a hand to it getting hacked off. Especially not if it is done not in combat, but as punishment.

Nightfall

Still if I were him I'd concentrate on using up more spells on himself, and then get blasting away. Maybe have only a CHA of 16.

Remove ads