• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the Implied Setting

Fenes

First Post
Nightfall said:
Still if I were him I'd concentrate on using up more spells on himself, and then get blasting away. Maybe have only a CHA of 16.

And what do you gain? A flame attack. It's really not that impressive, especially against multiple targets. Spending a level 3 spell on charging yourself for a 3d6 flame attack late also is not too efficient - that could be spent on casting a 9d6 fireball instead.

Fenes

First Post
Nightfall said:
That's why I use multi-charge stuff as well as spells.

You'd need to have the spellfire channeler prestige class to absorb charges from charged items. And I am not really sure how a spellfire wielder could absorb his or her own magic, given that you need to ready an action to absorb a spell, which would be lost if you do something else - like casting a spell.

So, on its own, spellfire is not really that powerful. How often do you get targeted by a mage specifically, so you can act as a rod of absorption? And how often is it really better to ready an action to absorb a possible spell instead of casting a spell yourself, or attacking?

And for all that you gain the ability to send out ranged touch attacks that do Xd6 fire/magic damage, reflex save for half, or to heal 2 hitpoints per level spent.

At level 9, that's not really much.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Exactly, which is why I would have done Spellfire Wielder at my earliest convience. That plus epic spellfire wielder is very helpful. Spellfire Wielder is why if you do get spellfire, you should go Spellfire Wielder as soon as possible.

fusangite

First Post
Nightfall said:
Try reading my handle one syllable at a time.
Why would you want to create the real world?
I don't. You argued D&D could be used to represent "all kinds of worlds." I demonstrated that it cannot. I don't need a motive to prove your assertion is dead wrong. I use D&D to make worlds compatible with D&D. This is a radically circumscribed subset of possible worlds.

Fenes

First Post
Nightfall said:
Exactly, which is why I would have done Spellfire Wielder at my earliest convience. That plus epic spellfire wielder is very helpful. Spellfire Wielder is why if you do get spellfire, you should go Spellfire Wielder as soon as possible.

Our player found that continuing as sorcerer was more beneficial. Spellfire channeler ends up, after 10 levels, a one-trick pony. Can heal some, and fire some fire blasts, and fly. A level 16 sorcerer can be equally good at blasting and flying, yet offer a lot more utility - and that's without the whole roleplay disadvantage of half the continent hunting you once you are discovered as a spellfire wielder.

I was pretty sceptical, but in actual play, spellfire seems not powerful.

ruleslawyer

Thread derailment alert!

A favor, guys: Do we mind taking the spellfire discussion to another thread (hint, hint)? I think the OP and the posters before I brought up the spellfire thing (my fault!) might like to continue their discussion of implied settings without interruption.

Odhanan

Adventurer
fusangite said:
Spot on! There is a limited range of worlds you can run in D&D. So you might as well make/pick one that fits with the system. Otherwise, use another system.
Agreed. I love D&D's implied world. The picture of the barkeep with a "No Spellcasting" sign behind him was one of the art pieces I instantly liked when I first read third ed's DMG. I wanted a world that was D&D, embraced it while making its whole scope of unrealistic assumptions believable. I've been searching for that setting for a long while, and I found it. It's name is Ptolus.

If I want to play something else than a setting using D&D's core ideas, then I play using another (d20 or non-d20) system. Problem solved.

00Machado

First Post
Odhanan said:
It's name is Ptolus.

I was thinking just this when I read the opening post.

I think building the setting around the rules can add to the fun of the game in play.

For anyone without the time or not inclined to do this home brew style, I think Ptolus is the answer you're looking for.

I've also read that Bard's Gate is a less expensive alternative to Ptolus, but have no first hand knowledge of it.

I have Ptolus, and from what I've read, this is excellent, and immensely pillagable for ideas and inspiration, even if you want to run a home brew.

Remove ads