• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Basic question

Daedalus

Explorer
Could anyone tell me which box set had the elf as both a race and a class? IIRC all elves were essentially fighter/mages or something.

I played it a looooong time ago and now I can't for the life of me remember which set it was. The mind's the first thing to go I guess :D

In Basic D&D the elves were basically fighter/mages. The basic through master sets took you through the whole progression, and the cyclopidia had full progressions.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Originally posted here - http://rdushay.home.mindspring.com/Museum/Fantasy/DDrevw.html
There were only three character classes (Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric) and four races (Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Hobbit). Yes, the original version of D&D had hobbits. TSR brought down the wrath of the Tolkien estate when they got bigger. One could imagine that TSR's infamous litigious nature was born of their legal troubles with the Tolkien estate. Dwarves and Hobbits were limited to being Fighting-Men, while Elves could be Fighting-Men or Magic-Users, switching roles from adventure to adventure, but not doing both at once—except that they were permitted to wear armor while serving as a Magic-User.

Hope that helps! :)

Daedalus

Explorer
<g> I had forgotten that they originally used hobbits.

Thanks for all the help!

Anyone remember the old "Dungeon" board game? For some reason I've had a hankering to get my hands on a copy of that lately...

Remove ads