D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

Dire Bare

Legend
Most people don't have your idiosyncratic issues.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Man, some folks are starting to be jerks about this.

You want PDF format ebooks. Other folks don't. None of you speak for or have knowledge of what "most" people want.

Sheesh.

The format D&D Beyond is using has it pros and cons. PDF format has it pros and cons. Personally, I'd love it if WotC released both formats, but it's very unlikely that they will.

If you are in the "PDFs or Nothing!" camp, keep speaking out in hope that WotC will change their policy. But let's lay off insulting those who don't agree with you or have the same desires.

guachi

Hero
I don't see why you couldn't have both. A feature that let you type in, say, 'lock picking' and gave you all the rules relevant to using thieves tools would be great. I'd be shocked if they gave you a tool this nice, but I'd be tempted to get a book if they did.

On the other hand, I play mostly at my FLGS and if I can't access the document offline I won't buy it. I'm not looking up stuff on my phone and I don't have wireless access for a laptop in the store.

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for £3-6/m

I'm interested in seeing your polling!

(I may truly be in the minority, but even so, I believe you're underestimating our numbers).

Polling? You think most people don't use PDFs?

The facts are if a company doesn't provide a solution the community will take matters into their own hands. WotC refuses 5E PDFs. 5E PDFs are now simple to acquire for free and WotC mAkes $0.

This is a niche business with many solutions available, many character builders free. If there isn't a all in on this Beyond is done before it starts, and the digital.books trapped on the service.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't think that there are people who are dissatisfied with the PDF format, and want something less rigid and more customizable when it comes to their gaming wants and needs?

But as Dire Bare has said, it's probably just best to agree that both sides simply want what they want, and to respect that decision...

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for £3-6/m

You don't think that there are people who are dissatisfied with the PDF format, and want something less rigid and more customizable when it comes to their gaming wants and needs?

But as Dire Bare has said, it's probably just best to agree that both sides simply want what they want, and to respect that decision...

I do. I think that they lie in a minority and will be disappointed when they find their purchases worthless once Beyond ends.

Fact is WotC isn't providing for my wants and needs and instead is pursuing another proprietary (hilariously overpriced) dead end.

Last edited by a moderator:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
On the other hand, I play mostly at my FLGS and if I can't access the document offline I won't buy it. I'm not looking up stuff on my phone and I don't have wireless access for a laptop in the store.
They've said that there will be offline functionality. I haven't yet seen exact specifics but the gist I got was that anything you purchased would be useable through the app, basically, forever. Subject to limitations like the world blowing up in a fiery explosion, of course.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that having the full text of the PHB in flowable, linked hypertext is about 1000x more useful than a PDF. PDFs are nice to have, but they're a pretty terrible format, IMO.
PDF's are so overrated. I mean, I use them, because I do a lot of my prep and research on the computer and love to use all sorts of tools and want to keep my books in as pristine condition as possible, but as soon as DDB drops, I'm pretty much done with them as far as D&D 5e is concerned.

fantasmamore

Explorer

I use them because I can't do otherwise. There are no alternatives. I would really like to be able to buy my favourite AD&D or 4e books in .epub or similar with a .zip file containing all artwork and handouts. Even pdfs designed for mobile devices with one column of text would be better. The actual print file exported with lower quality and resolution images is a pain. It's like visiting a website designed in the '90s with your mobile. It works, you can search the text, tap on the links etc but it sucks.

Remove ads

Remove ads