D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

T

TDarien

Still no PDF release... that's literally all they need to do.
Maybe it's just me, but I think that having the full text of the PHB in flowable, linked hypertext is about 1000x more useful than a PDF. PDFs are nice to have, but they're a pretty terrible format, IMO.

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
Maybe it's just me, but I think that having the full text of the PHB in flowable, linked hypertext is about 1000x more useful than a PDF. PDFs are nice to have, but they're a pretty terrible format, IMO.

Modern pdfs have all of that. Bookmarks, hyperlinks, and quick search. And easily editable. Fantastic format that can be viewed anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

fantasmamore

Explorer
Is 5e so complicated you really need a character builder?

I manage all of my players' characters so it doesn't really matter how complicated or simple the character creation / level up process is, I need a character builder because it always ends up being time consuming and complicated in the sense that it's hard to remember specific things for 5 different classes and races, sometimes I don't have access to my books (like when I level up the characters from work, the evening before our game) etc.
Unfortunately the lack of a cb was the reason I stepped away from equally simple systems like 13th Age.

darjr

I crit!
Yea, WotC with one bookshelf has gotten much better with PDFs. So much effort. Just sell me the PDF, please? This is getting ridiculous.

I mean dndbeyond sounds cool and all.... But I really don't need it. The PDF I could use. Especially in super crowded conventions were wifi or tethering might be an issue.

It was good enough for WotC staff at GenCon.

T

TDarien

Modern pdfs have all of that. Bookmarks, hyperlinks, and quick search. And easily editable. Fantastic format that can be viewed anywhere.

They certainly don't have text that will flow to fit my screen, which is HUGE to me. I'm stuck pinching and zooming so I can make the text a size I can see it. I REALLY don't want to do that. If I'm referencing the material, flowable text is orders of magnitude better than a PDF. If I'm just reading, the physical book is better.

Search is also more versatile. You can't really do advance search in a PDF. Show me all the weapons with the versatile property or spells with that do fire damage. You can't really do that. You can search for the terms, and you'll just have to cycle through pages until you find what you're looking for. This give you a search results page that show actual items/spells etc.

D&D Beyond will eventually have standalone mobile Apps with the content available offline. Once that happens, the only reason do prefer a PDF over the D&D beyond format is if you want the full-page art layout digitally. I have zero desire for that

Last edited:

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
They certainly don't have text that will flow to fit my screen, which is HUGE to me. I'm stuck pinching and zooming so I can make the text a size I can see it. I REALLY don't want to do that. If I'm referencing the material, flowable text is orders of magnitude better than a PDF. If I'm just reading, the physical book is better.

Search is also more versatile. You can't really do advance search in a PDF. Show me all the weapons with the versatile property or spells with that do fire damage. You can't really do that. You can search for the terms, and you'll just have to cycle through pages until you find what you're looking for. This give you a search results page that show actual items/spells etc.

D&D Beyond will eventually have standalone mobile Apps with the content available offline. Once that happens, the only reason do prefer a PDF over the D&D beyond format is if you want the full-page art layout digitally. I have zero desire for that

Most people don't have your idiosyncratic issues.

xanstin

Explorer
At this point the only thing I'll repurchase the books all over again for are legal wotc high quality pdfs on DMsG for paizo level pricing that I can carry around on my tablet without concerns of reception and internet access

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for £3-6/m

At this point the only thing I'll repurchase the books all over again for are legal wotc high quality pdfs on DMsG for paizo level pricing that I can carry around on my tablet without concerns of reception and internet access

And PDFs are yours even after a service ends. These Beyond books are dead once it's done.

darjr

I crit!
They say it won't be. But it's not there yet. And an app that doesn't get updated eventually is useless. A PDF isn't.

Most people don't have your idiosyncratic issues.

Well, I do, for one...

Give me an integrated system with searchable, sort-able, and collate-able monsters, spells, etc over an inert PDF any day...

My big pet peeve, as stated above, is having to deal with combats with multiple monster types. I love having them in game; I hate all the page-turning to deal with them. Even with a PDF, I would be scrolling and/or tabbing continuously to run such a combat. This will give me the ability to have all the monsters in such a combat on one screen...

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads