• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Blog. Should Fighters get multiple attacks?

Stormonu

Legend
Yes, but only the fighters (and fighter subclasses - Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin) should get extra attacks (at full BAB). Giving other classes extra attacks was like giving the wizard's spells to everyone after a few levels.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Multiple attacks are good but none of that fractional attack mess or diminishing attack garbage.

They should do Fighting styles/stance to mimic multiple attack.

At the X level and every Y levels thereafter, the fighter learns a fighting style/stance.

Slayer Stance:The fighter gains bonus to damage equal to his level.
Lion's Style: The fighter can make two attacks per round
Whirlwind Strike When the fighter attacks with a melee weapon, he can attack every enemy with range.

Etc.

Someone

Adventurer
So they have not figured yet that the best and surest way to slow combat is to increase the number of dice thrown? You may not know, but it takes a lot of skill to type while you're hitting the desk with your face as I'm doing right now.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I think multiple attacks all with the same bonus is the way to go.

Me too. But there's a danger, mathematically, of seriously throwing off the expected damage output of the system

To counter this I've houseruled in my games that Fighters have multiple attacks with the same BAB, but they only get their second, third, etc. attacks if the previous attack was also successful.

I've found this keeps things under control fairly well, and even adds an extra element of suspense to the rolls.

:)

JohnSnow

Hero
Multiple attacks are good but none of that fractional attack mess or diminishing attack garbage.

They should do Fighting styles/stance to mimic multiple attack.

At the X level and every Y levels thereafter, the fighter learns a fighting style/stance.

Slayer Stance:The fighter gains bonus to damage equal to his level.
Lion's Style: The fighter can make two attacks per round
Whirlwind Strike When the fighter attacks with a melee weapon, he can attack every enemy with range.

Etc.

I would actually endorse choosable "stances" like this as the proper way to build a more complex fighter. Of course, you could probably do it quite effectively using a re-tuned feat system.

The standard low-option fighter simply gets a given (pre-chosen) "stance" at the appropriate level.

Combine taking the different stances with the ability to stack 2 (or more) as the fighter goes up in level, and we have an adjustable, and potentially very powerful, fighter who doesn't use a system anything like what the wizard does.

I think that would satisfy 3e and 4e players alike. And I think the "pre-chosen option" would make the Basic and 1e crowd happy.

Then all we have to do is make sure the wizard's magic doesn't get TOO nuts. And slot all the other classes into the middle somewhere.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads