• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Brand Manager of Fluff

3catcircus

Adventurer
Tinner said:
The Art of the Deal - One activity that players like almost as much as "Killing Things" is "Getting Stuff". Take the old Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog, mix in the Mercane, and produce an entire book about buying and selling goods, and becoming a wealthy capitalist pig. What types of trade goods are welcome throughout the D&D worlds? How are these goods moved? Aurora's catalog mentioned Ring Gates, Teleporting couriers, and all sorts of other great plot hooks for adventurers. Recent books have covered how to simulate a PC owned business, let's expand upon that. Give the players more than a random profession roll to simulate their bar making a few GP. Let's have details on how to become a shipping magnate, monopolize a trade route, and corner the market on a commodity. Let's have some details on war profiteering, arms dealing and smuggling. Let's have a list of literally hundreds of dangerous to procure, but always in demand luxury goods. Let's talk about financing colonies to take advantage of the natural flora and fauna (ie. The New World). Getting rich is a popular PC goal. Let 'em have it in spades with this book.

Hmm - I wonder - MMS:WE pretty much everything you need to know mechanics-wise about buying and selling items. Power of Faerun has a lot of stuff on merchant-princes and things like that. Perhaps this book could adapt these concepts for use with determining business loss/profit? I'd also like to see stuff in here about avoiding the "Magic-Mart" syndrome that some people complain about, when talking about luxury goods, arms dealing, etc.

Moggthegob

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Oriental Adventures is very iconic for D&D and has strong potential.
If this does happen do everyone a favor and DO NOT MAKE IT ROKUGAN.
Set it in the original Greyhawk, elsewhere on Oerth thing or else set it in the other part of Toril(ugh oh how I hate FR)

joshhg

First Post
Jumping on the bandwagon:

Cities of the Planes: While I love Sigil to death, there are a lot of big planar cities out there that could use some loving. There is a big list put together by Boz somewhere around here, but I would insist on the City of Glass, Sigil, and a chapter on each of the gate-towns, then add three to five more chapters on that many cities.

Fiendish Codex III: What everyone else said. Plus some.

Mysterium Manual: Book on how to pull off mysteries in a campaign. Something along the same lines as Heroes of Horror.

Elemental Enemies: Something focused on the elemental planes and their lords, good, evil, and neutral.

Fey/Giant book: Again, as before.

Swamp based book along the lines of Frostburn, ect.

Maure Castle adventure book: Yes, crunch I know, but I want it. Almost as good would be a compiled Savage Tide AP.

Celestial Codex: For the goodie-goodies out there.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
Faiths of Faerun: You know of the gods, their plans, their hopes and dreams. But what do you know about their churches, followers, rituals, and myths. This sourcebook focuses on the various churches of Faerun, the separate orders of the churches, the most infamous heresies, and presents initiate feats and prestige classes for all of the major churches of Faerun (many adapted for the first time from the specialty priests of Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. 160 pages; 29.95

Giantcraft: Adventurers come to fear the dreaded thundering footsteps of the Joten, and the tile of Giantslayer is a great honor, but is there more to giant society? This sourcebook deals with the societies of the giants, their gods, their magic, and the secrets of antiquity. From the Titan's War to the All Father's Exile, from frost giant jarls to fire giant khans, learn the secrets of Giantcraft. 224 pages; 34.95

The Codex of Vecna: Secrets of the Planes: Ancient mysteries of the worlds of D&D revealed! How can travelers from Faerun find the Abyss, but not enter portals to Limbo? Why did the mysterious Mercane seek refuge from the Sea of Night they once called home? What is the Demiplane of Dread, and how can it reach into dispartiate realities to spread its nightmares? And were the legendary worlds of Krynn or Athas ever really connected to the multiverse? Answers to questions about the very multiverse of D&D, some of these issues have yet to have been clarified, but all the secrets will be revealed, thanks to the hand of the god that nearly unraveled them all. 224 pages; 34.95

Beyond Faerun--Kara-Tur, Zhakara, Maztica, and Beyond: Take a whirlwind tour of the rest of the world of Toril, from the sands of Zhakara, to the jungles of Maztica, to the isle of Kara-Tur, and with stops on continents not yet explored in any Forgotten Realms product. With details on the explorers, trading companies, and portals that connect Faerun to the rest of Toril, and with an emphasis on supporting campaigning in Faerun while exploring the vast reaches of the world, this sourcebook is your guide to what has transpired Beyond Faerun. 160 pages, 29.95

Wind and Fury, A Guide to the Fey: From the plane of Faerie to the old back woods, from the Crossroads and Backroads to the Fey Mounds, the Seelie, the Unseelie, and the fey in between. This is a guide to the wild, passionate, primal beings known as the fey, from the court intriges of the Queen of Air and Darkness to the primal guardians of the world. The the mysterious sidhe and all of their cousins reveal there secrets to you in this sourcebook. 160 pages; 29.95

Heartlands of Fearun: Cormyr, Sembia, and the Dalelands . . . these are the nations that spring to mind when adventurers think of the Heartlands. They seem so familiar, but in recent years, all of them have known war, strife, and great change. And never have they yielded up all of their secrets. Not only does this sourcebook bring recent events in adventures and novels up to date in this sourcebook, but there are also detailed sections on the nobility of Cormyr, the merchant houses of Sembia, and the trading coasters of the Dalelands, and this sourcbook also presents this information in two parts . . . the general knowledge that adventurers would know, and the secrets that will challenge them. 224 pages; 34.95

Volo's Guide to Neverwinter: The first in an exciting new series of guides to the independant and infamous cities of the Realms, Volo's Guide to Neverwinter presents information that the fearless traveling sage presents to the masses of Fearun, with a second section with the "real story" from the Sage of Shadowdale, Elminster. This first guide looks at Neverwinter, and details and updates the famous city of the North, from its waterclocks and intricate glasswork, to its deadly catacombs and the nearby Neverwinter Woods. Softcover, 32 pages; 9.95

Elements of the Eternal: A Guide to the Elemental Planes: Adventurers hear tales of the City of Brass and the war between the Efreet and the Djinn. Legends of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa survive to the present day. But how much do they know about the Elemental Princes of Good and Evil? Cities within the Great Dismal Delve and the vast Skysea await adventurers bold enough to travel to the planes that the gods themselves used to create reality. 160 pages; 29.95

Greg K

Legend
KnightErrantJR said:
Faiths of Faerun: You know of the gods, their plans, their hopes and dreams. But what do you know about their churches, followers, rituals, and myths. This sourcebook focuses on the various churches of Faerun, the separate orders of the churches, the most infamous heresies, and presents initiate feats and prestige classes for all of the major churches of Faerun (many adapted for the first time from the specialty priests of Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. 160 pages; 29.95

I wouldn't want prcs for specialty priests. I'd want class variants done in the manner of the cloistered cleric to show more distinction at the start among priests of various deities.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Greg K said:
I wouldn't want prcs for specialty priests. I'd want class variants done in the manner of the cloistered cleric to show more distinction at the start among priests of various deities.
I think you'd be hard-pressed to do that for all the gods of Toril, I think. A low level priest who conducts community rituals and the like isn't going to be that much different beyond another priest, beyond what god he worships.

One might be baptizing children in forest streams and the other in the blood of slain enemies, but at the end of the day, they're mostly the face of ritual and scripture for their community.

Moggthegob

First Post
tihnk it would be interesting for domains to determine your spell list. I do not know if I would ultimately want to live with that for every cleric i play(being a cleric-only guy for the most part). But certainly very interesting. Like nature cleric to be a non-broken to hell druid class and a social cleric having aocial skills, higher skill ponts and less hp/spells per day or a thief cleric who gets sneak skills and skill points in exchange for spells and hp. I think it would be fun.

I remember playign with one industrious DM who orchestrated an entirely cat themed spell list for our cleric to Bast.

Remove ads