D&D Game Table not Mac-Compatible at launch

Xyxox

Hero
Shawn_Kehoe said:
Hi,

I took this:

From Ashockney's excellent R&D seminar post here: http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3707358&postcount=22

So it sound like us mac users won't be able to play online initially, unless we use Boot Camp of course. Pretty disappointing, if it means we'll be paying full price for limited functionality.

Of course, this quote may mean that they are working on Windows first, and the Mac compatibility may still be ready by launch. Interpret as you will.

That tells me definitely, there will be a client component.

Watch for it. There will be the CDs attached in a cardboard case in the back cover of each of the books. Turning on the online content will be tied to the CD serial number. I'd bet on it being this way.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
This is pretty dumb of WotC. If millions of Web firms can make cross-platform Web-based applications and Blizzard has been producing hybrid games for more than a decade, what on earth would possess them to hire someone who couldn't do the same for the virtual tabletop?

Note that Blizzard is a software shop - that's really all they do, so they're going to be comparatively rich in developer resources. WotC is not primarily a software shop. And RPGs aren't even the biggest moneymaker at WotC - so you're looking at far more limited resources.

Never, in the history of software development, has a project gone out the door with all the functionality the team could think to put in. There are always compromises on features. This is the nature of the beast.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Well, I think that it is a polite way of saying "no native Mac support, ever".

Disappointing, but not surprising. I'll just have to get used to Parallell, or Boot Camp.

Well, that's life. No hard feelings on my part.

/M

John Morrow

First Post
Shawn_Kehoe said:
Of course, this quote may mean that they are working on Windows first, and the Mac compatibility may still be ready by launch. Interpret as you will.

That's useful to know, and not entirely unexpected.

They should at least make sure that their software works with WINE and related products. That would help them cover the Linux world, too.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
This TOTALLY sucks!!! I've been stoked about all of the announcements on 4e so far and I figured that there was going to be a rub somewhere. I am so sick and tired of Mac users getting the shaft with software. This makes D&D Insider pretty much useless for me as most of my friends are on Macs. :(

Last edited:

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Clearing a little space on the front page by moving this to Computers.

And how ironic is it that D&D edition wars will intersect with the Mac-vs-PC "edition" war.

- Eri-"uses both all the time"-danis ooi

Kesh

First Post
I'm just hoping that I can afford one of the new Intel Macs by May. I don't mind rebooting or running Parallels/VMWare Fusion for the apps until a native version comes out… but I will be annoyed until it does.

Why the hell couldn't they do this as an AJAX website?

Remove ads