D&D General D&D Luminary Jim 'Drawmij' Ward Passes

Legendary TSR alumni passes away at age 72.

6990003.jpg.png

James M. Ward, writer of Metamorphosis Alpha, co-writer of Deities & Demigods, author of Greyhawk Adventures, and veteran of TSR, has passed away at the age of 72.

Ward was one of the first players in Gary Gygax's early Dungeon & Dragons games in the 1970s--the wizard Drawmij is 'Jim Ward' spelt backwards--and worked for TSR until the mid-1990s. He co-founded Fast Forward Entertainment in the early 2000s. Ward also worked with Troll Lord Games for several supplements.

Jim wrote a column right here at EN World, dealing into various aspects of D&D's genesis and development, and the early days of TSR in the 1970s and 1980s. Amongst the many things he shared with us is a wonderful article where he introduced himself (as if he needed to!) to EN World. I can't think of a better person to summarise Jim's career than the man himself.

Our thoughts are with his friends and family.

432853584_10161929948918296_1042404990675859307_n.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
1.jpg
Gamma_World_Book.jpg

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This makes me sad. Prayers to the family and I know that the many people who gamed with and played the creations he made will be thinking of him. I was lucky enough to game with him once, and I remember it very fondly. A very sad day, but lots of happy memories.

I am thankful for his work and his influence. I love his work. And even in that picture, he looks like The Best Uncle, yknow, the one who secretly taught the kids to play D&D or let them sit in at a probably-age-inappropriate game session when he wasn't sneaking them beers behind the garage at the cookout.

@Morrus -- thank you for having provided a place for not just us gamers, but also a place that allowed Jim Ward and Gary Gygax, etc, to pass through here and tell us THEIR sides of history. What happens is we lose these people and their memories, and we lose context - we lose the context about Gary and the Blumes, we lose the nitty gritty details that Lorraine sweeping in wasn't just the same old corporate takeover.

Quarex

Explorer
I've heard rumors that he'd recently had heart surgery, but I can't confirm that.
I was signed up to play in his Founders & Legends game on Sunday, and while I do not know how appropriate it is to repeat things people said since those could have also been light speculation, the fact that he was replaced at the last minute by the very game and wonderful Harold Johnson certainly suggested he had been feeling well until extremely recently.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
If anyone knows of a way to send a message to Stephen Colbert of The Late Show, someone should let him know of this moment. Metamorphosis Alpha was Mr. Colbert's first RPG, according to his appearance for the Red Nose Day event with Matt Mercer. RPGs and Drama are a two-way street gateway drug, so we may never have had the contribution of such gems as "truthiness" without it.

Last edited:

Working for Jim when he was the Director of Creative Services at TSR was my first job when I got out of the Navy and was very young, about a thousand years ago. I was never more than a bit player in the gaming industry and didn't stay in it for very long, but Jim always made me feel welcome and part of the team. We didn't stay in each other's lives very closely, which is to say we chatted briefly at conventions through the years. But he never made me feel less than him. He was a good and decent man and I remember him fondly.

Roll many nat 20s in heaven, Mr. Ward.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads