• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D minis Harbinger complete set - still wanted by people?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
As Joe said, many of the Harbinger ones have been replaced by better-looking figures in later sets.

I would not be interested in a Harbinger complete set at this time (though a few years ago it would have been tempting). I only use the figs for RPG, though.

Xyxox

Hero
Why are you amazed? The set consists of 80 miniatures, so it works out to be about $3 per mini. That's hardly amazing, even unpainted minis go for that much (or more). Add to that the fact that this set hasn't been available for purchase for several years, and that it has some very nice and sought-after minis, and $250 looks like a bargain.

I doubt it will go for less than $500, actually, and I've seen sealed Harbinger sets go for $1K.

I've seen the Harbinger minis. Personally, I wouldn't spend three cents per mini for them.

Sammael

Adventurer
It's a matter of taste, then. While some Harbinger minis are certainly hideous (and not in a good way), I find many Harbinger minis to be as good as (or even better than) their later replacements. I still use the following Harbinger minis very frequently:

Cleric_of_Order_tn.jpg

Cleric_of_Yondalla_tn.jpg

Hound_Archon_tn.jpg

Sword_of_Heironeous_tn.jpg

Jozan_tn.jpg

Centaur_tn.jpg

Cleric_of_Corellon_Larethian_tn.jpg

Elf_Pyromancer_tn.jpg

Nebbin_tn.jpg

Azer_Raider_tn.jpg

Lizardfolk_tn.jpg

Wolf_tn.jpg

Bearded_Devil_tn.jpg

Goblin_Sneak_tn.jpg

Human_Blackguard_tn.jpg

Human_Thug_tn.jpg

mind_flayer_tn.jpg

Wraith_tn.jpg

Human_Warrior_Skeleton_tn.jpg

Cleric_of_Gruumsh_tn.jpg

Drow_Archer_tn.jpg

Drow_Cleric_of_Lolth_tn.jpg

Drow_Fighter_tn.jpg

Gnoll_tn.jpg

Orc_Archer_tn.jpg

Orc_Berserker_tn.jpg

Orc_Spearfighter_tn.jpg

Orc_Warrior_tn.jpg

Umber_Hulk_tn.jpg

Worg_tn.jpg

That's 30 out of 80 minis. Percentage-wise, I think that's the highest percentage of any DDM set so far - when it comes to stuff I use on a regular basis.

Xyxox

Hero
It's a matter of taste, then. While some Harbinger minis are certainly hideous (and not in a good way), I find many Harbinger minis to be as good as (or even better than) their later replacements. I still use the following Harbinger minis very frequently:

<clipped photos for brevity>

That's 30 out of 80 minis. Percentage-wise, I think that's the highest percentage of any DDM set so far - when it comes to stuff I use on a regular basis.

I bought a Harbinger Starter set and a Dragoneye booster pack way back when.

I opened the boxes, saw the quality, left them all in their little plastic bags, threw the boxes into a bigger storage box, and haven't look at the things since.

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm really not sure what you were expecting. I first bought an Archfiends booster (heavily discounted from Amazon) and was pleasantly surprised when the minis didn't look like total crap. The second booster I bought was Dragoneye and came with a Large Red Dragon - which is still unmatched in terms of sculpt and paint quality when it comes to large dragons.

RedSwan78

First Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I didn't know that they had re-issued some of the minis in newer sets, so that could be part of the reason. It still seems there's enough minis that where never re-issued that are still wanted though, so that's good.

As for the quality of the minis, I for one think they are excellent. I remember back in the day of pewter painted minis that had to be carried around in a boxes with little foam cut-outs for them to protect them.. what a P.I.T.A.! lol

These are great to game with, and I still have a bunch that I use for that, but I guess the whole "complete set" thing would only appeal to a collecter now. (well.. I guess that's all it ever really appealed to?)

JoeGKushner

First Post
I bought a Harbinger Starter set and a Dragoneye booster pack way back when.

I opened the boxes, saw the quality, left them all in their little plastic bags, threw the boxes into a bigger storage box, and haven't look at the things since.

e-Bay.

Or send 'em to me for free. I'll give 'em a good home. :)

I've been considering opening up our comicbook eBay store (YetiMoose) to international buyers, and we do get inquiries from overseas.

But the shipping is SUCH a pain in the butt, with added paperwork, and the amount of damage a package can take in overseas shipping means way upping the packing material (and the weight) as well. I am just not sure it is worth it.

Do you find it to be worth it?
I live in Europe and I buy all my minis from the US. It's very well worth it.

Comics and such? Not so much but that it mainly because most sellers of comics etc. look more like 'a commercial business' compared to some minis sellers... What I mean is their packages look more "store" like which again means the chances of the package getting stuck in customs for weeks and being hit with a $30+ fee plus tax suddenly makes the whole thing much less attractive.

Remove ads