• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D: mostly a boys game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander123

First Post
To what extent do you all think that D&D is a boys game?

I say this because traditionally in our society the role of women has been as wives and mothers and the role of men has been one of protector and provider for the family.

It has traditionally been the man's job to protect his family and we know that soldiering has always been considered a man's job.

Even in traditional fantasy it is the princess who is captive and the handsome knight whose role it is to battle giants and ogres, vanquish the dragon and rescue the fair maiden. Things are never the other way around with the prince being captive and having to be rescued by the lady. And how many woman can respect a man whom they have to rescue anyways?

And even what we consider virtues are manly virtues (I'm not a feminist by the way.) such as the British Army ethos which I will list below:

Selfless commitment (although Ayn Rand would probably change that to selfish commitment)
Courage
Discipline
Integrity
Loyalty
Respect for others

It seems that since D&D is to a certain extent about war, it is going to be in some ways mostly a boys game.

The evidence for this is partly in the monsters of D&D who are big, ugly and scary. A game designed for girls and women usually does not have big, ugly and scary monsters (but princesses and unicorns instead, which I just remembered D&D also has but you get my meaning I'm sure.) and it usually does not involve much fighting either.

So what do you all think?

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Ok, seriously, this is a forum for rules. If you want general discussion, go to general discussion.

Also, stop being sexist.

Alexander123

First Post
Ok, seriously, this is a forum for rules. If you want general discussion, go to general discussion.

Also, stop being sexist.

Yes, it probably was posted in the wrong forum. I have just gotten in the habit of posting in this forum and not participating in the general discussion forum, my mistake.

Why may I ask though do you say that I am being sexist?

Alexander123

First Post
I don't know what womanly virtues are but since men and women have traditionally had different roles in society it would make sense for society to come up with two sets of virtues, one for men and one for women.

Take courage for example, courage is a virtue that is praised in men because soldiering has traditionally been a man's job and a soldier without courage is certainly not going to be a very effective soldier.

Now a woman does not need the same kind of courage because she is not going to be soldiering.

Alexander123

First Post
I certainly do think that men and women are different from one another, equal but different and that may come off as sexist to you because the culture has been feeding men and women on a steady diet of feminism which makes them deny their differences and it makes women try to imitate men (I'm not of course saying that women shouldn't have careers or anything like that.) and it makes men deny their own masculinity because that is considered evil by feminists.

Alexander123

First Post
Oh dear Gods. 'Tis the season?

Eh, never mind, the sig says it all.

It's almost like a CM plot for extra ****s and giggles. If I was paranoid or something... :uhoh:

'Tis the season for what?

I'm not sure what how my sig says it all.

What does CM stand for? and what does ****s mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads