• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next weekly art column!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the big question. Would you pay an extra $1 per book to get more art? Figure they sell 5000 copies of everything, at least. That gets them a couple thousand extra bucks for illustrations.

Would you be okay with spending $3 to $40 extra over the course of an edition, per person, to have more art?

Also, would you be willing to spend that much extra on EN Publishing products too? Because I'd love to hire more artists. :)

Oni

First Post
I don't know... out of proportion art doesn't appeal much to me... it's my impression, and I may be wrong here, but nostalgia speaks loudly over 1E art... :erm:

I've always been under the impression that that was a dwarf and a very evil looking halfling, consequently I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with the proportions.

Komarck, on the other hand, would fit very well...

Komarck at his best is quite good, as the picture you posted shows, but I find that a lot of his work looks very fake and staged, I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of his past D&D work.

Here's the big question. Would you pay an extra $1 per book to get more art? Figure they sell 5000 copies of everything, at least. That gets them a couple thousand extra bucks for illustrations.

Would you be okay with spending $3 to $40 extra over the course of an edition, per person, to have more art?

Also, would you be willing to spend that much extra on EN Publishing products too? Because I'd love to hire more artists. :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you ASKED someone this, they'd say No, but if you put the book in front of them with $1 more art, they'd be $1 more likely to buy it.

Dausuul

Legend

"More art?" Depends on the art.

I would be willing to pay an extra $1 per book to go from 4E-style art to what I described. For the core books, I'd probably go as high as $5, maybe even $10. And yes, that's per-book.

On the other hand, if the extra art is going to be done by Wayne Reynolds in the 4E vein, I would pay $1 per book to have less art.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post

That depends a great deal on the quality and aesthetic of the art, as well as its affect on space for actual game content. I love art, but I think it's possible to over illustrate a book, you don't want to break up the smooth flow of reading.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

Absolutely!

Nebulous

Legend
I don't know... out of proportion art doesn't appeal much to me... it's my impression, and I may be wrong here, but nostalgia speaks loudly over 1E art... :erm:

Easley is kinda clumsy sometimes and may look outdated for today's generation, who is probably going to buy more DDN than some of us who already got their fave editions or retroclones.

Komarck, on the other hand, would fit very well...

e0213cb225b8fc4615399bdf9da.jpg

Easley was good, but not my favorite by far. THIS guy....this guy makes me happy. I wish he could do a lot with 5e...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads