D&D Player Accused in Sword Killing *why is the game a factor?*

MerakSpielman

First Post
See? This is why you should study martial arts. So you can take swords away from psychos at your workplace before they hurt somebody. Of course, this presumes they're not actually proficient in swordplay, which would make the disarming significantly more difficult.

cjyoung1 said:
I am from the Detroit area and it makes Detroit look even worse, and it paints roll players in a bad light.
And are you signed up for the Detroit gameday then? :heh:

But yeah, the very idea that black fingernails and liking games "like D&D" deserve being mentioned in the first paragraph, if they even have a place in the article at all, is completely absurd.

Aaron L

Hero
I think that games where people strap on protective armor and attack each other in a psuedo military tactical excersize is much more dangerous and violence inducing than any type of roleplaying.

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Elder-Basilisk pretty much said what I was thinking!

The DnD link is pretty fair. The guy did chop off someones head with a sword - which is definitely not an uncommon think in most RPGs I've played.

The OJ golf/wife similarity could only really be drawn if frenzied stabbing attacks were some part of the average round of golf. Last time I checked, I don't think they were?

Still more ammunition for the various naysayers, I guess...

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Aaron2 said:
"Man Uses Samurai Sword To Foil Robbery"
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/3859023/detail.html
Meh. Some samurai.

Not only did he SURVIVE the encounter (lame), he didn't kill either of his opponents.

And he failed to commit suicide upon realising his tremendous failure.

And there's no mention of him pushing his three-year-old son around in a bullet-proof baby carriage.

Sheesh. They give out katana to just anyone these days, don't they?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
news article said:
Flemons walked past his coworkers and sat outside by his car, calmly drinking a 40-ounce bottle of beer, and waiting for police to arrive. Schwartz said Flemons later confessed.

Wonder how many of those he had before the killing? :\

I can understand why D&D was mentioned BUT I would'VE liked to have known exactly what games this guy was playing - big difference between D&D and say, FATAL. D&D will always be under the microscope, so to speak, simply because it is a small niche hobby that can be hard for the non-gamer to understand.

I no longer let it bother me. I lived through the anit-D&D hysteria of the early eighties without losing a single D&D book or ever having my hobby curtailed (except when I let my grades slip in grade 9), censorship is always a bad thing - and yes I do mean always.

Last edited:

Clearly we should ban swords..... and candles.... If that doesn't stop these freaks we'll have to do something drastic like banning black finger nail polish!

rowport

First Post
smetzger said:
What do you want to do? Censor the media so that they can't report the types of games a killer plays?

LOL How about just ensuring an acceptable level of competance in journalism for local news reporters. I expect this type of rag sensationalism in TV news, but would hope to see better in print.

Still, in fairness, if a soccer player killed his co-worker with his cleats, his hobby may have been mentioned, too... :\

Remove ads