D&D Player Accused in Sword Killing *why is the game a factor?*

Orius

Legend
barsoomcore said:
Meh. Some samurai.

Not only did he SURVIVE the encounter (lame), he didn't kill either of his opponents.

And he failed to commit suicide upon realising his tremendous failure.
Yeah, how dishonorable.

Sheesh. They give out katana to just anyone these days, don't they?
Katana my foot. It's probably one of those cheap knock-offs you can buy from some mail-order catalog or other.

mythago

Hero
Henry said:
No, more like, ask for a fair standard of journalism, and not aim for sensationalism in reporting. I might as well also ask for world peace and a cure for old age, but it's nice to aim for. :)
On the other hand, we can all choose to spend our money (or ear-time for advertisers) on non-sensationalist media.

Altalazar

First Post
I think it gets mentioned because Journalists, and many others, don't understand the concept of gaming, so it sticks out as something "unusual" and anything unusual gets reported in a story like that.

Like others have said, if he was a football fan, it wouldn't be mentioned, because reporters understand that - and also know that many people are, so they'd alienate readers if they tried to imply anything with that fact.

What we really need is some sort of site where we can list all the celebrities and famous people who play RPGs, and then perhaps include statistics about the general population as well. To show that it isn't just some fringe thing.

Which reminds me of a funny story about Kurt Schilling - I don't know anything about baseball - but I do play something called Advanced Sqaud Leader - to me, Schilling was big in ASL - I had no idea he even played baseball, until someone else heard me talking about it and pointed it out.

MEG Hal

First Post
I am in law enforcement and have not encountered any on my caseload and only one from someone else's who was a gamer, so it was a weird factoid. I think it should have been mentioned but not in the lead paragraph.

Side note, I own a set of Peerless handcuffs for work and he worked at Peerless Metal, do they hire ex-cons to make handcuffs?

Weird.

Angcuru

First Post
OFG that link was hilarious, Krieg!! :lol:

"We may need emergency surgery in the studio."

Anyways, the only thing that gets me riled up is that the fact that this guy played RPGs was mentioned before ANYTHING ELSE, even that someone decapitated another guy. So people think like this:

D&D? What?

Murder? Oh my! But what about D&D?

Decapitation! JEEZ! He did it because he played D&D!

Grab your torch and pitchfork! Time for a witch hunt!

All sensationalist journalists should be drug out into the street and ground into a fine powder with 10 grit sandpaper. But then there would be only about a dozen or so left. And maybe about 3 honest ones. At the most.

Remove ads