D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Are you talking about the characters mentioned in the article linked to by the OP?
The article doesn't mention Urgala Meltimer from Storm King's Thunder, which is who I was thinking of. Urgala "is a retired adventurer who bought the inn from the Phorndyl family a little over a year ago, after her wife (a wizard) vanished in the Underdark on an expedition" (p. 56).

EDIT: I was wrong, the article does mention her.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Only 10 years behind Paizo.

I have had a grand total of 1 lesbian, 1 gay and 1 maybe gay players. I don't ask as peoples sex lives do not interest me that much and they get bonus points for good personal hygiene.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
Maybe at some point they'll start including monotheists and atheists in their adventures as well!

I could imagine a 'the gods don't deserve our worship' type character, or a "so-and-so should be worshiped alone, the others are pretenders", but a true atheist or monotheist in the standard D&D setting doesn't fit the world.

And it's not like monotheists are lacking representation in media ...

And it's not like monotheists are lacking representation in media ...

Quick, name three monotheists from recent movies.

Honestly, it's probably easier to find gay characters in media than monotheists (Christians, Muslims, religious Jews, whatever).

Anyway, there are an awful lot of monotheists and atheists in the world, and if nothing else the Manichean paradigm is perfectly-suited to D&D adventuring, so if they're really trying to be inclusive we should at some point see the return of clerics as quasi-Christian "holy men" instead of poorly-rendered "polytheists" who are actually one-dimensional henotheists. Some days I'd even settle for seeing some genuine polytheism, just because I'm so sick of D&D henotheism! The diversity of human religious belief is far, far broader than what you see rendered in WotC-era D&D materials.

Hussar

Legend
Does Daredevil on Netflix count? Here's a character whose Catholicism is repeatedly referenced.

That's the first one that came to mind mind.

But, hey, mad props for teaching me a new word. Never heard henotheism before.

Xeviat

Hero
Captain America ("there's only one god"), Dom from "Fast and the Furious" (wears a cross), Julius (John Wick, very concerned about John going after the Pope), anyone whose funeral or wedding is held at a church ...

Daredevil in the Netflix series is more blatant, and all of the followers of The Lord of Light in Game of Thrones, but you did say movies.

Do you mean specifically characters who profess a religion or could it be as simple as every Christmas movie in existence? I just want to know where your line is.

I'll settle for a character who identifies or shows signs of identifying as an adherent of any monotheistic religion: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Deism, Bahai, Yazidism, Zoroastrianism, whatever. If you can even spot a character who kisses a menorah or wears a crucifix or goes to church, I'll settle for that too. Just any of the things that millions of Americans do on a regular basis, and Hollywood moviemakers apparently never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads