• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Reader App Coming This Fall? [UPDATED]

Many people have been asking for official D&D PDFs, and WotC has been addressing the need for electronic reference materials at the table in various ways. According to Mashable, WotC is releasing a D&D Reader App this fall. It's not a PDF, but it's basically a D&D-specific Kindle-esque app for iOS and Android. Mashable reports that "Each book is broken up into different sections. So with, say, the Player's Handbook, you can tap on little thumbnails in your library to check out the introduction, a step-by-step guide to character creation, a rundown of races, individual sections for each character class, equipment, and all the other pieces that, together, form the D&D Player's Handbook."

Many people have been asking for official D&D PDFs, and WotC has been addressing the need for electronic reference materials at the table in various ways. According to Mashable, WotC is releasing a D&D Reader App this fall. It's not a PDF, but it's basically a D&D-specific Kindle-esque app for iOS and Android. Mashable reports that "Each book is broken up into different sections. So with, say, the Player's Handbook, you can tap on little thumbnails in your library to check out the introduction, a step-by-step guide to character creation, a rundown of races, individual sections for each character class, equipment, and all the other pieces that, together, form the D&D Player's Handbook."

DD-Transparent.png

It's possible they are just referring to D&D Beyond (some of the details below correspond very closely with that), but it may be that a separate D&D Reader is in the pipeline.

UPDATE -- EN World member TDarien asked Adam Rosenburg (the author of the article) whether this was different to D&D Beyond, who replied "Yup. Beyond is more activity-oriented, so it can handle stuff like dice rolls. Reader is basically Kindle, with good, clear chapter divides."

UPDATE 2 -- EN World member kenmarable has spotted that Polygon also has an article about this. It is a separate app called D&D Reader - not D&D Beyond - being made by Dialect, the company which does Dragon+ for WotC. They tried a beta version, although it wasn't complete at the time.

Other items from the report include:

• You can favourite specific pages.
  • Some of it is free, and the rparts of books are paywalled. "If, for example, you'll only ever care about rolling a bard, you can just buy that. Prices for individual sections are $3 or $5 (depending on what you buy) and the three full rulebooks — Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide — are $30 apiece for everything."
  • If you buy parts of a book then buy the full thing, the cost is pro-rated.The free sections include "character creation, basic classes, gear, ability scores, combat, spellcasting, and all the other sort of ground-level features that everyone needs to understand in order to play."
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

DM Howard

Explorer
First, I think wanting to use PDFs of a version of a game from many years ago already makes someone an outlier. Second, emulators are free.

True, but I'd say in the tabletop gaming hobby, this trends more towards the norm.

Emulators are free.

Very true, if you can find them, and double experience if you find the correct one, that works with your current system AND isn't riddled with malware and trojans. Not everyone is as tech savvy as others are.

It's not really more a pain in the butt than constantly updating to the new version of my PDF readers. Which seem to update all the friggen time due to the new viruses they keep finding that takes advantage of some of that technology.

Being able to update my PDF reader of choice is going to be much easier than having to actively search for an emulator that works for what you are wanting to do.

But you know, the Internet, and outrage, and we want what we want when we want it and damn any who disagree, and all that. But I think most people will get what they want out of an app as much as they'd get what they want out of a PDF.

I agree with you here, Mistwell, I think people are getting a little too bent out of shape. I have been guilty of this in the past, specifically with my frustration with WotC's release schedule/content choices so I'm just as guilty as anyone. :)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I have to side with Remathilis here, and point out that the problem isn't 3rd parties offering the content in different formats, but offering it in the same format for the same price with fewer features.

We are scratching our heads because DDB (D&D Beyond) is working on an app for iOS and Android that will allow offline access to the books.

If you buy the PHB from DDB for $30 you also get a rich desktop solution with all the content you bought along with a character builder, and homebrew monster builder at no extra cost.

If you buy the PHB from DDR (D&D Reader) you don't get anything else, just the PHB.

If DDR cost less, it would make sense, but at the current listed price it just doesn't make sense. Before someone says "But maybe someone will want it in that different format, please remember that D&D Beyond will have the same format coming out!

In the end, yes, it doesn't hurt me one little bit for DDR to exist, but part of me is annoyed that people who read about DDR, but don't know about DDB, will be ripped off.

For what it's worth, here's a handy chart:

View attachment 88915

First, it won't be the same format. It will be on the same platform, but that's quite different.

Also, I still haven't seen/read any actual announcement from the companies outlining all of the features of the product. Maybe I missed something.

Your handy-dandy chart simply identifies what little information we have from an interview. To start with, since it's being produced by the same company that produces Dragon+ which has a desktop website that is searchable, it would lead me to believe there would be the same capabilities for the D&D Reader.

I'm not looking for a character builder, so both look like they'll meet my needs based on the small amount of info in your chart. Comparing an available product to one that you haven't even seen screen shots or a full list of features is pointless. We don't have enough information to declare one better than the other.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
It's always a mistake to buy content with proprietary locks on it, unless you're happy with the risk of not being able to access that content five or ten years in the future. DVDs are mostly OK, because the locks have been fully cracked. Of course, it's not legal to download the software necessary to watch a DVD you have legally purchased on hardware you own... but that's the US copyright regime for you. If you really want to *own* the RPG books you buy, if you want to be able to crack them open in 40 years (like I did the other day with my 1e PHB), you need them in an open format that is supported by lots of different readers. They can't be a format that's only viewable by a set of proprietary readers, or that's locked behind DRM. Track record shows that PDF is probably the best format to bet on.

Well, mistake or not, you're limited to the options available.

First, if you really want to own the RPG books you buy, then buy the books.

As for being the "best format to bet on," it really depends on the what the company is trying to accomplish. Considering that WotC has released a lot of material via PDF in the past, and I'm sure they are well aware with the folks that are requesting it, I'd have to guess that WotC has decided that releasing the core books in PDF format doesn't meet their goals. That is, it's not the best format for them.

Note that you being able to open the document in 40 years isn't a money maker for the company 40 years from now. Their concerns isn't probably aligned with yours in terms of what you can do with it 40 years from now.

I have a bunch of those PDFs, and you know what? They aren't the best format. If it's a book I'll reference regularly, then I buy a hard copy.

So far, they have "bet" on at least five companies now. The first didn't come through. Three of them have released their products, and are selling product. Another one sounds like they'll be releasing another option in the near future.

So right now a 75% success rate out of released products (assuming I haven't missed one), is pretty darn good. The fact that other companies are still jumping in with new products is another good sign. Obviously they see an opportunity to make money with their product.

Also note that with a product like D&D, the usual rules of competition don't apply. For example, you can complain that they haven't released PDFs, but if you want to play D&D with the PHB, DMG, and MM, then you have to purchase one of the options they provide (unless you want to pirate a copy).

So WotC makes money no matter which app you choose - including the physical books. For the individual companies making the apps, that's a different story, they are competing amongst themselves. But there are similar situations out there. By this point there have probably been thousands of programs and apps that provide a digital copy of the Bible, for example. A great many of those programs don't work on the newest technology, and those who like such programs have often purchased them several times. This is also similar to music, where in many cases people have purchased the same music multiple times over their lives as well.

I still go back to the same suspicion. I don't think WotC cares at all what the digital solution looks like. They aren't in the business of designing and selling digital solutions, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to be. They are in the business of selling the content. So they would naturally be most interested in having as many companies producing digital solutions, and letting the market decide which ones rise to the top. The chance that a single digital solution will appeal to everybody and meet everybody's needs is pretty much nil. But multiple solutions cater to different audiences, and also have the advantage of selling more content.

rknop

Adventurer
First, if you really want to own the RPG books you buy, then buy the books.

Yes... buy the physical books, or buy a non-DRMed ebook in an openly defined and widely supported format (such as PDF).

If you buy something DRMed, or in a format that requires a proprietary app, then, even if "they'd never do that", your continued ability to legally read the book you bought depends on the continued permission of the company that controls the DRM scheme or the app.

EternalRain

First Post
This whole conversation seems to be much to do about nothing to me.

PDFs would be great, but they are not going to give them to us while this is the current edition. So the reader is a similar option that you can have now, or you can wait until some time in the undetermined future when the next edition comes out and they offer it in PDF. If you don't want to support a proprietry reader option, don't. You are no worse off than you are now.

fantasmamore

Explorer
So far, they have "bet" on at least five companies now.

You are right, there are more than 5.

1. Dungeonscape / Trapdoor (defunct)
2. Fantasy Grounds / Smiteworks
3. Roll 20 / Roll20 (?)
4. D&D Beyond / Curse
5. Dragon +, D&D reader (?) app / Dialect
6. DM's Guild, drivethrough / OneBookShelf
7. D20Pro / Mesa Mundi (why everyone forgets about that?)

Are there any other companies that sell official D&D products through apps or websites?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Yes... buy the physical books, or buy a non-DRMed ebook in an openly defined and widely supported format (such as PDF).

If you buy something DRMed, or in a format that requires a proprietary app, then, even if "they'd never do that", your continued ability to legally read the book you bought depends on the continued permission of the company that controls the DRM scheme or the app.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. But that's only valid if they actually provide non-DRM PDFs, which they aren't.

And my point is, that as a consumer, what you are saying is absolutely correct. You want to choose an option that will be available forever, and without limitations. But when there are multiple options, then the feature set is another factor. Each person then has to decide if the feature set is worth being tied into a proprietary system, or if they should spend their money elsewhere.

But WotC, or any company, has other considerations. While they obviously want it to be the best experience for the customer, selling something permanent and perpetual means you won't ever have to purchase it again. I've purchased the same music on vinyl, CD, remastered CD, and sometimes in an expanded box set CD, not to mention a music subscription that lets me access it online. That means the company (and hopefully the artists, although that's an entirely different issue), got paid several times by me. That's a business model that companies love.

WotC is also looking for as many sales channels as possible. So every new app that is released is a new sales channel for them. Again, I purchased Fantasy Grounds and some content, expecting that I might use it. I haven't. Not even once. But that's not preventing me from looking at the next options. D&D Beyond is cool, if a bit clunky. But it doesn't allow me to include my home-brew content in things like the rules, classes, races, etc. If they do, then it's more likely to be a good option for me. Otherwise, the only use it has for me is a digital reference for the RAW. So if D&D Reader has the same price, with a better user experience, since I don't need all of the other stuff D&D Beyond has, it's probably the one I'd buy. Proprietary format or not.

Rygar

Explorer
So far, they have "bet" on at least five companies now. The first didn't come through. Three of them have released their products, and are selling product. Another one sounds like they'll be releasing another option in the near future.

So right now a 75% success rate out of released products (assuming I haven't missed one), is pretty darn good. The fact that other companies are still jumping in with new products is another good sign. Obviously they see an opportunity to make money with their product.

I think we need to be very specific here, the first company failed, the next four are all low revenue companies most of which are all trying to sell products in the exact same market to the exact same 0 growth consumer pool. So I don't think "success" is the word I'd use to describe anything other than maybe DriveThruRPG since it's print on demand is driving down Ebay prices.

Meanwhile...WOTC refused to license Planescape to InXile to make a sequel to a highly respected video game, which would've actually made money unlike their current strategy. IIRC they also refused Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman's pitch for a new Dragonlance trilogy, which again would've actually made money.

Honestly, this is ridiculously bad marketing strategy. Who thought giving PDF/Digital licenses to three or four companies all on the same platforms, most of whom have 0 name recognition was a good idea?

Also note that with a product like D&D, the usual rules of competition don't apply. For example, you can complain that they haven't released PDFs, but if you want to play D&D with the PHB, DMG, and MM, then you have to purchase one of the options they provide (unless you want to pirate a copy).

As we saw with 4th edition, the usual rules of competition very much apply and if WOTC doesn't pull it together and actually start releasing a smattering of content that is basically the same products they released 40 years ago almost all set in a single setting that isn't universally liked, the Paizo is going to take their market away from them again. If they want to succeed, they need to actually try to make money.

I think we need to be very specific here, the first company failed, the next four are all low revenue companies most of which are all trying to sell products in the exact same market to the exact same 0 growth consumer pool. So I don't think "success" is the word I'd use to describe anything other than maybe DriveThruRPG since it's print on demand is driving down Ebay prices.

Cool, I didn’t realize they had all released their sales numbers, revenue information, and market reports. I’m curious how much Curse has made from the release of D&D Beyond. Do you have a link to that revenue information?

Remove ads

Remove ads