D&D (2024) WotC D&D Comunity Update for June 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darjr

I crit!
As we continue playtesting and discussing materials for the upcoming Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual, and even release updates on the D&D Virtual Tabletop and evolving D&D Beyond toolset, it's important to clarify the language we use around these projects. One D&D is the overarching initiative shaping the future of the game. The updated fifth edition rulebooks, VTT, and D&D Beyond updates are housed under this initiative. When talking specifically about the revised fifth edition core rulebooks and their predecessors, we'll identify them by their year of publication. So, if we're talking about the barbarian class in the upcoming Player's Handbook, we'll refer to the book as the “2024 Player's Handbook.”

When the 2024 core rulebooks release, we'll drop the “2024” and simply refer to them by their title. (e.g., the 2024 Player's Handbook will just be the Player's Handbook). At that point, we will only clarify the publication date of the books when we're comparing the 2014 and 2024 versions, or simply referring back to the older version.

We recognize that the term “One D&D” has caused confusion around the updated rulebooks. The 2024 core rulebooks aren't ushering in a new edition of the game; the books you enjoy today will be compatible with the updated core rulebooks, because it's all the same edition of D&D. If you're a casual reader, though, this may not have been clear with how we've used the One D&D term in the past. That said, we'll be updating the language we use here on D&D Beyond and elsewhere so as to eliminate confusion around our continuing support for fifth edition.

darjr

I crit!
Hey @darjr this may be relevant to the OP:

"As we continue playtesting and discussing materials for the upcoming Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual, and even release updates on the D&D Virtual Tabletop and evolving D&D Beyond toolset, it's important to clarify the language we use around these projects. One D&D is the overarching initiative shaping the future of the game. The updated fifth edition rulebooks, VTT, and D&D Beyond updates are housed under this initiative. When talking specifically about the revised fifth edition core rulebooks and their predecessors, we'll identify them by their year of publication. So, if we're talking about the barbarian class in the upcoming Player's Handbook, we'll refer to the book as the “2024 Player's Handbook.”"

"When the 2024 core rulebooks release, we'll drop the “2024” and simply refer to them by their title. (e.g., the 2024 Player's Handbook will just be the Player's Handbook). At that point, we will only clarify the publication date of the books when we're comparing the 2014 and 2024 versions, or simply referring back to the older version."

"We recognize that the term “One D&D” has caused confusion around the updated rulebooks. The 2024 core rulebooks aren't ushering in a new edition of the game; the books you enjoy today will be compatible with the updated core rulebooks, because it's all the same edition of D&D. If you're a casual reader, though, this may not have been clear with how we've used the One D&D term in the past. That said, we'll be updating the language we use here on D&D Beyond and elsewhere so as to eliminate confusion around our continuing support for fifth edition."

darjr

I crit!
Stating the intent, again, is nice.

I think though at this point people get what they are saying, but it's weather they agree that's what's happening is the issue.

Also I think any change they make will be one persons completely compatible change and another persons game fracturing diff.

Finally I also think there are folks that are not arguing in good faith. Not many thankfully.

Edit: I wasn’t talking about people here in that last paragraph.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Stating the intent, again, is nice.

I think though at this point people get what they are saying, but it's weather they agree that's what's happening is the issue.

Also I think any change they make will be one persons completely compatible change and another persons game fracturing diff.

Finally I also think there are folks that are not arguing in good faith. Not many thankfully.
I think there has been some general confusion, hopefully that will clear up as intentions turn into actions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wish they would ask "Tell us what changes breaks compatibility for you and why".

I further wish people would approach this in that way.
Both would be pretty great. Reading between the lines, I think that the backtracking on a universal progression fir Subclasses is happening because people were seeing that as a rupture in the compatability intended, no matter how many times WotC said otherwise. Now, it will be more easy to see how to mic and match options without having to do any conversion work.

Remathilis

Legend
So, even "Player's Handbook 2024" is conditional, and after being published theybwill just refer to the PHB, MM, and DMG, full stop, except in instances when they are directly comparing older books.

And they have firmly disavowed OneD&D branding as confusing.
I get the feeling they are going to start backtracking on the amount and nature of changes from "overhaul" to "errata ++"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads