WotC WotC Removes Release Dates From Promo Images For 2024

Official promo images replaced by images without release dates.

On Friday, WotC shared a bunch of images of 2024's D&D releases, which included release dates for each book.
The images were initially shared during a panel at PAX Unplugged, and were shortly after shared widely on the official D&D social media outlets.

However, a few hours later, all those images were removed from WotC's social media, and were later replaced by images without the release dates.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

Additionally, the '2024 Core Rules' image was replaced with a caption saying '2024 Player's Handbook'.

It's not clear why they were removed, whether those release dates are incorrect, or if they simply weren't supposed to be shared yet. But since we shared those images too, we should note that it's possible the dates we shared might not be set in stone. More info if and when we have it!

ECMO3

Hero
For those who dont know, the Encyclopedia Magica error happened when they cut-and-replaced "mage" with "wizard". Except, it also replaced it in words, causing "damage" to be replaced with "dawizard" in all four volumes. It was puzzling when you first read it, but after a few times it was funny (and frustrating) as you figured out what had happened. It was a big black eye for TSR though.

And, yes, those who state that TSR didn't produce whole swathes of terrible, sub-par products either weren't there in the '90s when we were buried under an avalanche of products both good and bad, or are looking back at the time through rose-tinted glasses...

There was a Chult book they printed during 5E, which they shipped without the adventure map ..... an entire adventure, they expected people to buy, but no map.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They didn’t state the dates at the con. Only via social media. I think that’s the thing that leads many to think it was simply a mistake.
I think it was a mistake because it doesn't jive with the fact that they said previously that it was impossible to line up all the core books to release at the same time. Because of the large print runs, they would have to hold the first book for months for it to be out at the same time as the last printed book.

It just makes more sense to release them one at a time.

I believe 100% that the date was meant for Vecna and got copied onto the core book promo by mistake.

I doubt that it is even the date for the PHB and ABSOLUTELY NEVER was correct for all 3 core books. To me, it was always obviously a mistake.

I have no doubt whatsoever. I thought all of this BEFORE they took it down, and that they took it down only made me more sure.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think it was a mistake because it doesn't jive with the fact that they said previously that it was impossible to line up all the core books to release at the same time. Because of the large print runs, they would have to hold the first book for months for it to be out at the same time as the last printed book.

It just makes more sense to release them one at a time.

I believe 100% that the date was meant for Vecna and got copied onto the core book promo by mistake.

I doubt that it is even the date for the PHB and ABSOLUTELY NEVER was correct for all 3 core books. To me, it was always obviously a mistake.

I have no doubt whatsoever. I thought all of this BEFORE they took it down, and that they took it down only made me more sure.
Yeah, this is the most sensible explanation.

Stormonu

Legend
My copy of the 2e Chult book has the map. Of course I got it so long ago that I have no idea if it was a second printing.
Must be another product, because me 2E Chult has it's map, as does my Tomb of Annihilation. Most of the 2E books, with the exception of the core rulebooks were only one printing, especially something like the Chult book.

However, with as fast as 2E was pumping out product, I find it difficult to believe that it was tested (or edited) very thoroughly (same would be true of 3E, though). For every gem back in the day of 2E, there's about five to ten stinkers to go with it.

For 5E, it is looking like the latest Phandelver module has suffered from quality control as there's several issues between the map of some areas and the text. Maybe the D&D team is distracted with the upcoming 2024 work on the core books, but it does feel like they're slipping in quality with recent books.

Remove ads

Remove ads