D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase Coming July 2024

An adventure collection coming next summer with updated versions of classic adventures. Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2050.png

An adventure collection coming next summer with updated versions of classic adventures.

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

My guess is this will be largely Dungeon adventures. There just aren't that many iconic planar adventures from previous editions that aren't, frankly, too large to fit into an anthology without gobbling up a ton of pages.
Why would they be limited to planar adventures? The whole point of the Staircase is that its doors can lead to anywhere, so any and all setting (and setting agnostic) adventures are possibilities.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Why would they be limited to planar adventures? The whole point of the Staircase is that its doors can lead to anywhere, so any and all setting (and setting agnostic) adventures are possibilities.
Because "hey, here's a bunch of random adventures" isn't the way they've been doing it in the past. Everything so far has been themed. At the moment, the only apparent theme is the planes.

If they want short adventures of any sort, planar or non-planar, from any time more recent than 2e, then they'll almost have to delve into Dungeon. (Thanks @Parmandur, i didn't realise that about the publication rights). There hasn't been official 32-page adventure modules published for D&D for a loooong time. It's been long-form or Dungeon or nothing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They seemed to make a good point of how good Shadows of the Last War was, a low Lwvel Eberron 3E 32 page Adventure. Seems a plausible candidate for inclusion, oddly enough.

Stormonu

Legend
Because "hey, here's a bunch of random adventures" isn't the way they've been doing it in the past. Everything so far has been themed. At the moment, the only apparent theme is the planes.
I don’t quite know about that, Tales from the Yawning Portal was basically “popular blasts from the past”.

My guess is it will be a mix, 1E to 3E adventures, and a couple Dungeon adventures. I’m kinda hoping to see The Mud Sorcerer’s Tomb, the multi-dimensional library from Dungeon (I forget the adventure’s name - it had abishai in it), The Crystal Cave, Ghost Tower of Inverness, and maybe any other adventure that involves travel to reach, a remote location or extra dimensional space might be select - somewhere between 5-7 adventures.

I’d really laugh (and enjoy it) if Chis Perkins convinced the team to include Beyond the Magic Mirror (he seems to be the one in love with whimsy).

As someone who believes that shorter adventures tend to be better ones, I'm highly in favor of this.

Adventure paths have their place, and I've enjoyed both playing them and running them. But D&D was built on shorter adventures and I'd love to see more of that for 5e.

(edited to fix spelling)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don’t quite know about that, Tales from the Yawning Portal was basically “popular blasts from the past”.
They burned through most of the classics in that book. Even if they decided to issue their versions of the OAR books, now that Goodman has apparently lost the rights, that only gets us six adventures. It's not impossible, but I doubt this is meant to be Yawning Portal II. For one thing, I'd expect them to name it in such a way to tell the people who liked Yawning Portal that this is more of the same.
My guess is it will be a mix, 1E to 3E adventures, and a couple Dungeon adventures. I’m kinda hoping to see The Mud Sorcerer’s Tomb, the multi-dimensional library from Dungeon (I forget the adventure’s name - it had abishai in it), The Crystal Cave, Ghost Tower of Inverness, and maybe any other adventure that involves travel to reach, a remote location or extra dimensional space might be select - somewhere between 5-7 adventures.

I’d really laugh (and enjoy it) if Chis Perkins convinced the team to include Beyond the Magic Mirror (he seems to be the one in love with whimsy).
Mud Sorcerer's Tomb is legendary and I've never laid eyes on it. If that's in this book, that would make this an insta-buy for me.

And Dungeonland/The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror are great candidates for Domains of Delight in the Feywild and would be great, whether the theme is planar or classic adventures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They burned through most of the classics in that book. Even if they decided to issue their versions of the OAR books, now that Goodman has apparently lost the rights, that only gets us six adventures. It's not impossible, but I doubt this is meant to be Yawning Portal II. For one thing, I'd expect them to name it in such a way to tell the people who liked Yawning Portal that this is more of the same.

Mud Sorcerer's Tomb is legendary and I've never laid eyes on it. If that's in this book, that would make this an insta-buy for me.

And Dungeonland/The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror are great candidates for Domains of Delight in the Feywild and would be great, whether the theme is planar or classic adventures.
I mean, they did name check Yawning Portal in the event, and there are more than enough older Edition Adventures to put 7 in abook.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, some unhinged speculation on possible inclusions.

There were 4 prior Edition Adventures they used in their slides for the event that aren't in print from WotC (Tomb of Horrors and Castle Ravenloft, as the text of I6 is included entirely Curse of Strahd):

• City of the Spider Queen, 3E, original was 160 pages
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, OD&D/AD&D, 64 pages including a 32 page bestiary in the original
  • Shadows of the Las War, a 3.5 low Level Eberron Module, 32 pages in the original
  • S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, OD&D/AD&D, 64 pages in the original including a booklet of handouts

While interesting, I tend to doubt this book will very half City of the Spider Queen. The other 3, though, seem like possibilities: we know they are doing a truncated Tsojcanth for their new OP format, but thst does not preclude the whole enchilada from being in this collection: it is already tied to planehopping Wizards.

In 2003, Dungeon Magazine ran a "Top 30 Adventures of All Time"list, and Chris Perkins and James Wyatt were involved in picking those.

Remove ads

Remove ads