D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

Alby87

Adventurer
"Working" as proof reading/getting the first test book from the printing facilities for last time checks and product quality? If the book is not content-closed by June, Christmas release will be a rush job.

0 day errata would be catastrophic for anniversary release

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
If my notes are correct, there were seven things they announced at Pax Unplugged. Immediately afterward, they said the dates given were wrong, but they'd all still come out in 2024. But it's hard to imagine them releasing seven books in, say, the Sept - Dec timeframe. Unless maybe the Vecna book comes out before the new rulebooks? IDK. I'd love to get an official update.

• 2024 Player's Handbook
  • 2024 Dungeon Master's Guide
  • 2024 Monster Manual
  • Vecna: Eve of Ruin
  • The Making of Dungeons & Dragons (1970-1976)
  • Quests From the Infinite Staircase
  • Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
"Working" as proof reading/getting the first test book from the printing facilities for last time checks and product quality? If the book is not content-closed by June, Christmas release will be a rush job.

0 day errata would be catastrophic for anniversary release
Would it be?

We would care, but Aunt May buying "that game that Peter likes" won't care.

That said, I won't be shocked if the 2024 releases fall flat, or become the 2024 releases only on a technicality.

Osgood

Adventurer
"Working" on them can mean a whole lot of things. If they are still hammering out design in May, then yeah, I'd say the PH releases pretty late in year. If they are working on the final approvals with the printers, a late summer/early fall release probably isn't out of the question. I guess we'll see.

What I need to know is: A) are we seeing simultaneous or staggered releases? and B) Will there be a 3 book boxed set with FLGS covers?

For A, I would prefer to have simultaneous release, with a clear date, so I can budget now. I am a DM and would just prefer to get them all at once. If it is staggered, month by month would be ok, but the rumors of larger gaps between them would be a real momentum killer.

If the answer to B is "Yes" then I am likely to wait on said release to buy physical copies, but could see buying on DnDBeyond to have rules access when they drop.

Remove ads

Remove ads