D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

Retreater

Legend
I haven't been following the playtests, but have we seen any stuff for the DMG/MM yet? (I never get to play, so player options aren't interesting me.)

mamba

Legend
I don't know why, but up until I saw the "May 2024" date on the promo piece I just assumed that the PHB would be released in August, the MM a month or so after that, and then the DMG eventually.
I expected all three in 2024, no particular dates, but then they started talking about how the anniversary extends into 2025 and started getting doubts about that…

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Or they are just not telling the truth.
Possibly hoping to keep it as more of a surprise launch? (which doesn't make much sense either as it wouldn't be a secret when books start arriving at their distribution points)

Also, what neat surprises might they have in store for D&D's 50th anniversary? I'd like to think they have something planned.

Possibly a slipcase set of converted modules from previous editions, in their original format? (Not a collected hardcover)

If they don't have big events, surprises, special products, etc for their 50th anniversary, what a missed opportunity that would be.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I expected all three in 2024, no particular dates, but then they started talking about how the anniversary extends into 2025 and started getting doubts about that…
I actually wouldn't be surprised if the DMG doesn't come out until 2025. I fully expect it to be the last book to come out again because it's the book you only barely need to play the game. I do think they'll get the MM out before the end of the year.

The Monster Manual of all the books probably needs the least amount of work - revise the monster stats to the new format, get some new art, maybe include a few new monsters in it (but you can't do too much - because you don't want to cut any of the core monsters). It doesn't sound like they're making major changes to the back end of the system, so the PHB seems to be the book that needs the most mechanical work while the MM is more of a tweaking.

What I need to know is: A) are we seeing simultaneous or staggered releases? and B) Will there be a 3 book boxed set with FLGS covers?

For A, I would prefer to have simultaneous release, with a clear date, so I can budget now. I am a DM and would just prefer to get them all at once. If it is staggered, month by month would be ok, but the rumors of larger gaps between them would be a real momentum killer.

If the answer to B is "Yes" then I am likely to wait on said release to buy physical copies, but could see buying on DnDBeyond to have rules access when they drop.
No. They already said it needs to be staggered for printing reasons. They also said there will not be a boxed set / alt covers versions at first release

Albucat

Explorer
Keeping in mind that they announced 5th edition January of 2012 and the basic rules were available in July of 2014 (PHB on shelves August 2014), this is taking much longer to create than a full edition. They announced 5.5 in September of 2021 and at this point there's no release date in sight.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Keeping in mind that they announced 5th edition January of 2012 and the basic rules were available in July of 2014 (PHB on shelves August 2014), this is taking much longer to create than a full edition. They announced 5.5 in September of 2021 and at this point there's no release date in sight.
‘Announcing’ isn’t the same as ‘starting work’. They usually announce stuff 3 months in advance of release after something has been in development for a year or more. 5E was certainly underway long before they announced it.

Remove ads

Remove ads