• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Story in Entertainment Weekly

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Bleh. Just went and read it. What a %$£"%4. He needs to get his head out of his own self-important [censored] and stop writing rubbish like that.

If you don't like D&D, fine. I don't care. But don't then write an article about how "It's OK to take orcs seriously as a threat" and then spend the whole thing taking the mickey out of gamers. Idiot.

And it's not like it's even funny, or anything. Bah. :mad:

Krug

Newshound
Boy what a lump of :):):):). i guess that's the way he's used to writing. From a superior point of view like he's a know-it-all.

And Mr Tweet has the financial resources NOT to sell Elijah Wood's player sheet thank you.

Sheesh. I'm never buying a copy of that mag again. Vin Diesel should kick the guys face in.

Kai Lord

Hero
robaustin said:
Then write EW a nasty letter.

And then they can just print it and make fun of you. Let it go. You think if Vin Diesel read that he'd give a rat's ass what some idiot writer on the back page of a weekly magazine had to say?

If the guy wants to pretend D&D is the reason he's a virgin, let him.

Last edited:

cbatt

First Post
Oh man... I actually got a kick out of that. If anything, Elijah Wood should be way more pissed off than the legion of DnD geeks. He's quoted s saying "Let's loot the bitch. Can I slit her throat?"

Uh... homeland (in)Security and all that stuff going on down there... not to mention it sounds insane when taken completely out of context. It makes Johnathan Tweet seem quite normal.

I'm assuming that the whole article was a, more-or-less, tongue in cheek fluff piece. Funny in that "Look at me. I'm so witty, clever, and cool" kind of way.

Stone Angel

First Post
Part of me wants to be offended, but the other doesn't want to take it that seriously either. I don't know playing one game especially with so much riding on it (the publicity). I'll admit I am a dork, but I am an average looking guy, most the guys I play with and even at the game shop are too.

But that is what is so cool about the game right, a person from any walk of life can play.

It's kind of like pepsi blue. It's for anyone but not for everyone.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, it's tough to get angry at such a thing. I don't read EW, but I get the impression that this column is meant to be more flippant than informative. The easiest (not best, but easiest) way to be funny when talking about roleplaying games, especially with a mostly non-gamer audience, is to point out the false, but widely assumed, stereotypes of RPGs and roleplayers.

Just a guy looking for a cheap laugh in the wake of LotR's popularity. Pay it little mind.

DDK

Banned
Banned
Well, it was a 'little' funny, lol.

And EW in general is flippant and uninformative. It's pretty much the Hollywood version of Hollywood. If you want real movie industry news, get Variety or hell, even Hollywood Reporter (although, even then there are better mags than they). EW is fluff, what do you expect?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Originally posted by Kai Lord If the guy wants to pretend D&D is the reason he's a virgin, let him.

Anyone who ADMITS to a mullet, being bad in bad, and listening to Bruce Hornsby has NO PLACE blaming D&D for any of their issues...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads