• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D with "alt film" stars: the WotC interview

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I subscribed to Zak's blog. I actually signed up to blogger.com just so I could comment on his various posts. I wish I could articulate the passion of the game as well as he does. I'm no poor writer by any stretch, but I just don't have as many strong opinions about the game or gaming as this feller. I guess that's why my own blog has, what, three entries over two months. *lol*

Hussar

Legend
I was suggesting that the average age of the designers at WotC is a hefty bit above their target audience age, and also a bit above that of the guys making Robot Chicken for instance, and mine.

Heh, kinda like:

James Jacobs born 1974
Erik Mona born 1975
Monte Cook born 1968
James Wyatt born 1968

Funny enough, couldn't find Andy Collins birth date or Rob Heinsoo's.

Just a comparison though:

Mathew Senreich Producer Robot Chicken Born 1974
Doug Goldstein Writer Robot Chicken Born 1971
Dan Milano Born 1972
Kevin Shinick 1969

One wonders just how old Shemeska thinks Andy Collins really is. But, then, of course, that would require pesky things like facts, and one must never let facts get in the way.
And this is where you go from discussing the issue to making personal attacks. That pretty much says "ignore my post, as I just wrote it to be a jerk to someone." No more of this, please. ~ PCat

Last edited by a moderator:

Shemeska

Adventurer
One wonders just how old Shemeska thinks Andy Collins really is. But, then, of course, that would require pesky things like facts, and one must never let facts get in the way.

I gave the ages of the primary Robot Chicken and the two Penny Arcade guys above, and they're around 10 years younger than what I would assume the average age of the 4e team is. I was making a point about WotC's age and their marketing strategy to a younger audience a generation removed, so unless you're looking to spark some sort of edition war, or just be a douche for the heck of it...

Admin here. See this? This is a great example of how to post if you really want to annoy your moderators. Stop trying to pick a fight, guys. If you have any misunderstanding of why this post is a problem, PM me. ~ PCat

..., I'm not sure why you're pulling up the Paizo guys ages or Monte Cook's age.

And I would hazard a guess at Collins being in his late 30s, given that he started working for WotC in 1996 as I recall.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllisterH

First Post
Shemeska, anything from 1961 to 1981 is considered the same generation - Generation X.

Exactly what gives you the impression that the WOTC designers are older and not simply targetting people in their OWN agegroup with things like Robot Chicken?

Indeed, if anything, one of the complaints usually lodged against WOTC is that there are no members of the old guard left around like Skip Williams.

Hussar

Legend
I gave the ages of the primary Robot Chicken and the two Penny Arcade guys above, and they're around 10 years younger than what I would assume the average age of the 4e team is. I was making a point about WotC's age and their marketing strategy to a younger audience a generation removed, so unless you're looking to spark some sort of edition war, or just be a douche for the heck of it, I'm not sure why you're pulling up the Paizo guys ages or Monte Cook's age.

And I would hazard a guess at Collins being in his late 30s, given that he started working for WotC in 1996 as I recall.

Ahh. Interesting. You start out by slamming WOTC for trying to "hipsterize" their aging selves, claim that the target audience for 4e is much younger than the designers but I'M the one trying to start edition warring here.

Nice.

The ironic thing is, if ANYONE else posted this interview, you'd be trumpeting from the rooftops how any other edition is gathering attention away from stodgy old WOTC. But, it's bad because WOTC did it.

But, hey, I'm the one being a douche trying to start edition wars. Little things like the fact that pretty much every D&D designer in the industry today, at least the big boys, are all pretty much the same age, that doesn't matter. Totally not important.

Hell, Mike Mearls was born in 1975. He's practically the baby of the bunch.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Enough. Do you really need the "report problematic posts, don't continue the dumbass argument" statement again?

When you start arguing AT another person instead of just discussing the topic, it's usually better to leave the keyboard and go get a drink instead.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I'll just "me too" the comments that the most surprising thing about this is that WotC highlighted a non-4e oriented blog and linked to a non-4e D&D product. I've always admired Goodman's ecumenical take on D&D and would be pleasantly surprised if WotC were ever to follow suit to some small degree.

Now, when does the James Maliszewski interview come out? :)

Scribble

First Post
Feels to me like they're trying to take D&D into the general Geek Cool area, and out of the "dorks destined to never get laid" niche it seems to have fallen into.

I'm all for it.

darjr

I crit!
I think the last actual podcast they highlighted and talked about the old school adventures 'Stone Hell' and 'Death Frost Doom'.

I think people have this impression that WotC hates old school, it isn't so. There is at least one interview with a WotC employee at Grognardia for his old school interview project.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads