D&D General D&D Worth "23 Billion"?!?!

Clint_L

Hero
According to this article from ABC News, anyway: Dungeons and Dragons' latest wave of adventurers roll with the punches

However, they cite "some sources," so...anyone know what they are talking about, or what these sources might be?

On the other hand, this is one of the few news stories that correctly cites WotC's original claim that "more than 50 million people have interacted with D&D" over the past 50 years. This claim commonly gets misrepresented as 50 million active players today, so getting it right gives me some hope for the journalism of this piece. But I wanna know more about the $23 billion because that seems very optimistic to me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah it just says "which some studies value at more than $23 billion" but doesn't cite any of them. Hard to tell where they're getting their figures from. Hasbro itself--as a whole--has a worth of under half that number, IIRC. A quick google tells me about $8B. But I am not the person to ask about company valuations!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Gaming is big business, so I suspect the numbers are accurate. I'm hardly a market analyst, however.

Especially for video games. According to this article from the BBC, "the (video) games industry is still a $223bn industry, and will grow by approximately another $78bn by 2030...For context, that's more than the current size of the whole global recorded music industry."

They're saying that D&D is worth about as much as 1/10th of the video game industry. My gut says that's pretty close--but my gut is a liar.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Gaming is big business, so I suspect the numbers are accurate. I'm hardly a market analyst, however.
I dunno. In 2017 (a while ago admittedly) the entire TTRPG market was with about $35M. $23B would be about a 700 times increase since then.

The hobby game industry in total (inc board, games games) was about $1B back then. And TTRPGs are about 3% of that market. At least, they were.

I guess they're talking about the brand rather than the TTRG though. So if that includes the movie and BG3 I guess that pushes it up an awful lot.. but at that point we're not talking about the game any more.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
According to this article from ABC News, anyway: Dungeons and Dragons' latest wave of adventurers roll with the punches

However, they cite "some sources," so...anyone know what they are talking about, or what these sources might be?

On the other hand, this is one of the few news stories that correctly cites WotC's original claim that "more than 50 million people have interacted with D&D" over the past 50 years. This claim commonly gets misrepresented as 50 million active players today, so getting it right gives me some hope for the journalism of this piece. But I wanna know more about the $23 billion because that seems very optimistic to me.
OK, big game of telephone here: first off, this is $23 Billion AUD, not USD.

They are quoting this thinkpiece:

And the $16.8 billion USD number is actually clearly for the entire board game industry for the next 8 years estimated by this study:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

And the $16.8 billion USD number is actually clearly for the entire board game industry for the next 8 years estimated by this study:

Wow. Yeah. Totally different. Thanks for finding that!

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Now THAT makes a whole lot more sense!

Remove ads