[D&D4E] Path of Enlightenment [OOC]

covaithe

Explorer
Here's a first take of Leng's character sheet. After some thought, I built him around a halberd instead of a single sword, since it fits his theme of lower-than-average dexterity better. 14 AC, ouch!

[sblock=Lucky Leng, Human Fighter 2]

Initiative: +2
Senses: Perception +2
Alignment: Lawful good
Languages: Common, ?

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 10 (+0)

HP 37; Bloodied 18; Healing Surge 9 (12/day)
AC 14; Fort 18, Ref 13, Will 13
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Skills:
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +1, Athletics +10t, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +9t, Heal +7t, History +1, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +6t, Thievery +2
t = Trained Skill

Feats:
  • Human perseverance: +1 to saving throws
  • Power attack: can choose to trade -2 to attack for +2 (+3 for 2-handed) damage
  • Potent challenge: add con mod to opportunity attack damage.
  • Innate martial arts: allows unarmed basic melee attack, see below. Also, +1 when attempting to grab.
  • Martial arts training: Treat your fists as weapons. Allows the use of weapon powers while unarmed.

Gear:
Code:
Cost   Weight   Item
 n/a   15       leather armor
 n/a   12       halberd
???g    ?       gold

Racial and class features:
  • Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale, light shield, heavy shield, simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged
  • Human Bonuses: One extra feat, one extra trained skill, one extra at-will power
  • Combat challenge: Can mark an enemy with attack. Marked enemy takes -2 to attacks that do not include you. When adjacent marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include you, make a basic melee attack as an immediate interrupt.
  • Combat superiority: Add wisdom mod to opportunity attack rolls. If the OA was provoked by a move and hits, that enemy stops moving.
  • Fighter weapon talent: +1 to attack with 2-handed weapons

Powers
-----------------------------------------------------------------
:bmelee: basic melee attack (halberd) (standard; at will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1d10+4 damage.

:bmelee: basic melee attack (unarmed) (standard; at will, martial)
+8 vs AC; 1d4+4 damage.

:melee: Cleave (standard; at will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1d10+4 damage and an adjacent enemy takes 4 damage.

:melee: Reaping Strike (standard; at-will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; Hit: 1d10+4 damage Miss: 4 damage

:melee: Sure Strike (standard; at-will, martial, weapon)
+10 vs AC; 1d10 damage

:melee: Spinning Sweep (standard; encounter, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1d10+4 damage and you knock the target prone.

:melee: Comeback Strike (standard; daily, martial, weapon, reliable)
+8 vs AC; 2d10+4 damage and you can spend a healing surge

Boundless Endurance(minor; daily, personal, healing, martial, stance)
Effect: you gain regeneration 5 when you are bloodied

[sblock=Appearance]Lucky Leng is tall and bony, with callused hands and slighly lumpy features. He moves awkwardly and tends to duck his head a lot when speaking or entering buildings. He often has food stains down the front of his simple brown tunic.
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
[sblock=Zweischneid] Yes and yes, you will be a man of around 35 years, and that I took in consideration. There will be some heavy role playing plots, involving you and the third character and the different ages are necessary for that to take place. Your back-story looks great so far, keep the good work ^.^[/sblock]

About swords: Excellent info, I like the idea of “stating” oriental swords. We could use this as an tentative table. There will be small chances of getting your hands over any other weapon than these, excepting axes or katars.

Bastard Sword= Mio Dao http://www.learn-chinese-martial-arts.com/images/Miao-dao-sword.gif
Long sword= Jian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian
Scimitar= Dao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_(sword)
Spear and long spear= Qiang http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~msb46/qiang.gif
Staff= Gun http://beifan.com/shaolin-monk/059album03/sxd-2eg22.jpg
Dagger= Baat Jaam Do http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Butterfly_Swords.gif

Apart from this, I must make some notes about the usage of weapons: If you carry a sword or another military weapon at sight, you will be treated either as a mercenary, bandit, or warrior not aligned with the imperial army (if you don’t have an imperial suit of armor that is).
There will be times when using a weapon will not be a possibility, there are certain creatures immune to normal weapons, also, you cannot channel chi through weaponry so you won’t be able to combat spirits. That is the reason for which I put much emphasis on unarmed attacks. Most of the trainings will be useful with unarmed attacks.
About the stone palm technique, or the open palm defense or about the possibility of using your hands as shields, that is not a bad idea at all. That is precisely my idea with trainings, to perform special feats with a given trainings, and combining the trainings (yours and the ones of your peers) in such way you get a nice combat tactic. But trainings require time and patience, they are not a “pay and use” thing, you need time to train the technique and get familiar with it before you can use it. Training itself won’t require nothing from you, but at the end of each training phase, you’ll be tested and will be required to succeed in your test in order to get the technique and be able to use your training.

That takes me to another point:

Channeling Chi: Any person related with martial arts learns to channel their chi, through meditation and training. Controlling this energy will allow the characters to make some feats out of ordinary. Channeling Chi will allow you to harm ghosts and spirits with your unarmed attack. If you attack living beings, you get a +1 force damage to your damage rolls. Channel Chi is an encounter power that you can use if you are not bloodied, since it requires great amount of concentration. It last 1 minute per level, or until you get bloodied

Covaithe: Lucky Leng looks good! You may want to list your class features also with unarmed strike, if that’s more comfortable for you.

EQUIPMENT:
The first 2 start with a Gun (the staff, not the firearm) a special leather armor (+3 AC) and a bag with surviving equipment (rope, bedroll etc).

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
This is my first 4e character...... so please check it over for me. :) Thanks.

[sblock=Shen Rui, Human Warlord 2]

Initiative: +4
Senses: Perception +5
Languages: Common

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 14 (+2)

HP 30; Bloodied 15; Healing Surge 7 (8/day)
AC 14; Fort 18, Ref 15, Will 16
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Skills:
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Athletics +10t, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +2, Heal +5t, History +8 t, Insight +0, Intimidate +8 t, Nature +0, Perception +5 t, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +2, Thievery +1
t = Trained Skill

Feats:
  • Tactical Assault: Ally gains bonus to damage equal to your Int modifer
  • Power attack: can choose to trade -2 to attack for +2 (+3 for 2-handed) damage
  • Skill Training: add perception to train skill list
  • Innate martial arts: allows unarmed basic melee attack, see below. Also, +1 when attempting to grab.
  • Martial arts training: Treat your fists as weapons. Allows the use of weapon powers while unarmed.

Gear:
Gun (staff)
Leather Armor
Standard Adventurer's Kit

• Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, light shield, simple melee, military melee, simple ranged
  • Human Bonuses: One extra feat, one extra trained skill, one extra at-will power
  • Combat Leader: You and each all within 10 squares who can see and hear you
    gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.
  • Tactical Presence: When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an
    extra attack, the ally gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to one-half your Int modifer.
  • Inspiring Word: You can use this power 2x per encounter (1x per round). Close burst 5
    Target: you or one ally in burst
    Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

Powers:[sblock]
  • Viper's Strike:
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Target: one creature
    Attack: Str vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + str mod damage
    Effect: If the target shifts before the start of your next turn, it provokes an opporunity
    attack from an ally of your choice.

• Wolf Pack Tactics:
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Special: Before you attack, you let one ally adjacent to either you or the target shifts
    1 square as a free action
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage

• Commander's Strike
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target
    Hit: Ally's basic attack damage + your Int modifier

• Warlord's Favor
    Encounter
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Target: One creature
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength Modifier damage. One ally within 5 squares of you gains
    a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn.
    Tactical Presence: The bonus to attack rolls that you grant equals 1 + Int mod

• Lead the Attack
    Daily
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage. Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally
    within 5 squares of you gain a power bonus to attack rolls against the target equal to 1 +
    Int modifier.
    Miss: Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a
    +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target.

• Knight's Move
    Encounter
    Martial
    Move Action, Ranged 10
    Target: One ally
    Effect: The target takes a move action as a free action.

• Channeling Chi
    Any person related with martial arts learns to channel their chi, through meditation and training. Controlling this energy will allow the characters to make some feats out of ordinary. Channeling Chi will allow you to harm ghosts and spirits with your unarmed attack. If you attack living beings, you get a +1 force damage to your damage rolls. Channel Chi is an encounter power that you can use if you are not bloodied, since it requires great amount of concentration. It last a number or rounds equal to your wisdom score, or until you get bloodied. All martially trained PC get this free. Other characters added later could gain once trained in a martial style.
[/sblock]

Basic Attacks:
Gun: +7 1d8+4 damage
Unarmed: +5 1d4+5 damage
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Character looks good, just list you channel chi power.
That goes for Covaithe too.
Its my first time Dming 4E, so you'll have to be patient too =).

covaithe

Explorer
Channeling Chi: Any person related with martial arts learns to channel their chi, through meditation and training. Controlling this energy will allow the characters to make some feats out of ordinary. Channeling Chi will allow you to harm ghosts and spirits with your unarmed attack. If you attack living beings, you get a +1 force damage to your damage rolls. Channel Chi is an encounter power that you can use if you are not bloodied, since it requires great amount of concentration. It last 1 minute per level, or until you get bloodied

Covaithe: Lucky Leng looks good! You may want to list your class features also with unarmed strike, if that’s more comfortable for you.

EQUIPMENT:
The first 2 start with a Gun (the staff, not the firearm) a special leather armor (+3 AC) and a bag with surviving equipment (rope, bedroll etc).

Some questions. For "surviving equipment", can we just call that an adventurer's kit? If not, can you list out what we get and what we don't?

I'm not sure I understand when you say "You may want to list your class features also with unarmed strike". Do you mean that I should put unarmed strike in the class powers list instead of the feats list? I dont' care either way; you just described it as a feat.

For Channel Chi, it sounds like it's only unarmed attacks that can hit spirits/ghosts. Is the +1 force damage to living creatures also only with unarmed attacks? What kind of action is it to channel Chi? I've assumed standard, but minor would also make sense. The 1 minute per level duration bit feels a bit 3.5-ish to me; 4e durations are usually "until the end of your next turn" or "until the end of the encounter" or whatever. From a quick glance through, it looks like most of the "to the end of the encounter" powers are daily, not encounter, powers.

I've got to get going; I'll update Leng later.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I'm assuming he means the Standard Adventurer's Kit. I do have a question though...

Is the gun the only weapon we get? Or is the longspear okay to carry. I would think that if they were worried about attacks they would want to restrict most weapons. It makes me wonder if they would care if they were wrapped (securely) or concealed. I do know that some Chinese (or maybe it was Japanese) weapons were made to look like a simple staff or a walking stick.

I'm not trying to give you a headache, just trying to figure out would be a good idea to have, or rather not have.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Some questions. For "surviving equipment", can we just call that an adventurer's kit? If not, can you list out what we get and what we don't?

I'm not sure I understand when you say "You may want to list your class features also with unarmed strike". Do you mean that I should put unarmed strike in the class powers list instead of the feats list? I dont' care either way; you just described it as a feat.

For Channel Chi, it sounds like it's only unarmed attacks that can hit spirits/ghosts. Is the +1 force damage to living creatures also only with unarmed attacks? What kind of action is it to channel Chi? I've assumed standard, but minor would also make sense. The 1 minute per level duration bit feels a bit 3.5-ish to me; 4e durations are usually "until the end of your next turn" or "until the end of the encounter" or whatever. From a quick glance through, it looks like most of the "to the end of the encounter" powers are daily, not encounter, powers.

I've got to get going; I'll update Leng later.

Yes I mean adventurer's kit.

I saw you listed your powers using the halbred [W] (1d10) you don't actually have a halberd now, or won't have it until later on in the game. Since you can use your powers unarmed, I just happen to think it would be convenient for you to list them with the unarmed [W], but now I think it more carefully, its quite unnecessary, so never mind :p

Good questions: Yes, only with unarmed hit. You can channel your chi only through your body, not to your weapons.
About the kind of action, I think it will be a minor action, so you'll be able to activate it and use it in you turn.
I forggot to change the duration in my last post, but I already modified it in the first. It will last as many rounds as your wisdom score, ending at the end of the last round.

I'm assuming he means the Standard Adventurer's Kit. I do have a question though...

Is the gun the only weapon we get? Or is the longspear okay to carry. I would think that if they were worried about attacks they would want to restrict most weapons. It makes me wonder if they would care if they were wrapped (securely) or concealed. I do know that some Chinese (or maybe it was Japanese) weapons were made to look like a simple staff or a walking stick.

I'm not trying to give you a headache, just trying to figure out would be a good idea to have, or rather not have.

Yes you can conceal them to not call unwanted attention. You start with no other weapon than the gun, but you'll get to have your choosen weapon. At a time. ;)

covaithe

Explorer
Yes I mean adventurer's kit.

I saw you listed your powers using the halbred [W] (1d10) you don't actually have a halberd now, or won't have it until later on in the game. Since you can use your powers unarmed, I just happen to think it would be convenient for you to list them with the unarmed [W], but now I think it more carefully, its quite unnecessary, so never mind :p

Good questions: Yes, only with unarmed hit. You can channel your chi only through your body, not to your weapons.
About the kind of action, I think it will be a minor action, so you'll be able to activate it and use it in you turn.
I forggot to change the duration in my last post, but I already modified it in the first. It will last as many rounds as your wisdom score, ending at the end of the last round.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards just saying 1[w]+4 and leaving it at that. I'll update for the Chi changes.

edit: and AC from the superior leather, and add the gun.

[sblock=Lucky Leng, updated]

Human Fighter 2
XP: 1000
Initiative: +2
Senses: Perception +2
Languages: Common, ?

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 10 (+0)

HP 37; Bloodied 18; Healing Surge 9 (12/day)
AC 15; Fort 18, Ref 13, Will 13
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Skills:
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +1, Athletics +10t, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +9t, Heal +7t, History +1, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +6t, Thievery +2
t = Trained Skill

Feats:
  • Human perseverance: +1 to saving throws
  • Potent challenge: add con mod to opportunity attack damage.

Gear:
Code:
Cost   Weight   Item
 n/a   33       Adventurer's kit
 n/a   15       superior leather armor (+3 AC)
 n/a   12       gun (staff)

• Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale, light shield, heavy shield, simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged
  • Combat challenge: Can mark an enemy with attack. Marked enemy takes -2 to attacks that do not include you. When adjacent marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include you, make a basic melee attack as an immediate interrupt.
  • Combat superiority: Add wisdom mod to opportunity attack rolls. If the OA was provoked by a move and hits, that enemy stops moving.
  • Fighter weapon talent: +1 to attack with 2-handed weapons

Powers
:bmelee: basic melee attack (halberd) (standard; at will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1[w]+4 damage.

:bmelee: basic melee attack (unarmed) (standard; at will, martial)
+8 vs AC; 1d4+4 damage.

:melee: Cleave (standard; at will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1[w]+4 damage and an adjacent enemy takes 4 damage.

:melee: Reaping Strike (standard; at-will, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; Hit: 1[w]+4 damage Miss: 4 damage

:melee: Sure Strike (standard; at-will, martial, weapon)
+10 vs AC; 1[w] damage

:melee: Spinning Sweep (standard; encounter, martial, weapon)
+8 vs AC; 1[w]+4 damage and you knock the target prone.

:melee: Comeback Strike (standard; daily, martial, weapon, reliable)
+8 vs AC; 2[w]+4 damage and you can spend a healing surge

Boundless Endurance(minor; daily, personal, healing, martial, stance)
Effect: you gain regeneration 5 when you are bloodied

Channel Chi (minor; encounter, martial)
Effect: Your unarmed attacks can damage spirits and ghosts. Also, your unarmed attacks against living creatures gain a +1 force bonus to damage.
Duration:12 rounds (equal to wisdom score)[/b]
Special:cannot be used when bloodied[/b]

[sblock=Appearance]Lucky Leng is tall and bony, with callused hands and slighly lumpy features. He moves awkwardly and tends to duck his head a lot when speaking or entering buildings. He often has food stains down the front of his simple brown tunic.
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
(revised)

[sblock=Shen Rui, Human Warlord 2]

Initiative: +4
Senses: Perception +5
Languages: Common

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 14 (+2)

HP 30; Bloodied 15; Healing Surge 7 (8/day)
AC 16; Fort 18, Ref 15, Will 16
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Skills:
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Athletics +10t, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +2, Heal +5t, History +8 t, Insight +0, Intimidate +8 t, Nature +0, Perception +5 t, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +2, Thievery +1
t = Trained Skill

Feats:
  • Tactical Assault: Ally gains bonus to damage equal to your Int modifer
  • Skill Training: add perception to train skill list

Gear:
Gun (staff)
Leather Armor
Standard Adventurer's Kit

• Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, light shield, simple melee, military melee, simple ranged
  • Combat Leader: You and each all within 10 squares who can see and hear you
    gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.
  • Tactical Presence: When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an
    extra attack, the ally gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to one-half your Int modifer.
  • Inspiring Word: You can use this power 2x per encounter (1x per round). Close burst 5
    Target: you or one ally in burst
    Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

Powers:[sblock]
  • Viper's Strike:
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Attack: Str vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + str mod damage
    Effect: If the target shifts before the start of your next turn, it provokes an opporunity
    attack from an ally of your choice.

• Wolf Pack Tactics:
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Special: Before you attack, you let one ally adjacent to either you or the target shifts
    1 square as a free action
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage

• Commander's Strike
    At Will
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target
    Hit: Ally's basic attack damage + your Int modifier

• Warlord's Favor
    Encounter
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength Modifier damage. One ally within 5 squares of you gains
    a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn.
    Tactical Presence: The bonus to attack rolls that you grant equals 1 + Int mod

• Lead the Attack
    Daily
    Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action
    Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage. Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally
    within 5 squares of you gain a power bonus to attack rolls against the target equal to 1 +
    Int modifier.
    Miss: Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a
    +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target.

• Knight's Move
    Encounter
    Martial
    Move Action, Ranged 10
    Target: One ally
    Effect: The target takes a move action as a free action.

• Channeling Chi
    Any person related with martial arts learns to channel their chi, through meditation and training. Controlling this energy will allow the characters to make some feats out of ordinary. Channeling Chi will allow you to harm ghosts and spirits with your unarmed attack. If you attack living beings, you get a +1 force damage to your damage rolls. Channel Chi is an encounter power that you can use if you are not bloodied, since it requires great amount of concentration. It last a number or rounds equal to your wisdom score, or until you get bloodied. All martially trained PC get this free. Other characters added later could gain once trained in a martial style.
[/sblock]

Basic Attacks:
Gun: +7 1d8+4 damage
Unarmed: +5 1d4+5 damage
[/sblock]

Remove ads