[d20 Future] 22nd Century: Solar Odyssey to Hell. [The game]

Caine Freerover said:
Caine responds immediately, hoping to give Vincent more clues to pick up on.
In ann excited tone he asks, "Would that be the Shabu-Avindranath Corp.? I met one of their scientists yesterday, who used to have something of a reputation in the field."

Then he catches himself, embarassed. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked. Please
ignore the question, I wouldn't dream of asking you to break confidentiality. It's just that cybernetics are one of my passions."

Lambert flashes Caine something of a warning glance. He thinks Caine is being a little too obvious, but this makes him think of how he'll enter the conversation.

Jay Purr

First Post
Radley said:
Brendan sits in the shuttle with Jay, waiting in case of an emergency. He browses through a few things on his heads up display, looking for a file or somesuch on his computer card.

"You think the others are doing alright? he asks, making conversation.

Jay replies, "I trust that they will contact us directly if something untoward happens. Kecia is with them, and I believe she can handle anything short of truly overwhelming opposition. Still, I was wondering if we might not be well served by one us being 'suited up,' just in case. Yes, I would certainly be more comfortable if I had an extra layer of protection between me and the cold, hard emptiness of open space."

Glad to have the excuse and with unmistakable relief, Jay dons his medium combat armor. He leaves the helmet and gloves aside for the time being, relying on the shuttle's life support rather than that of the armor. Can he still carry the laser pistol hidden under the armor? Not useful there, of course, but its nice to have a backup if one is forced to remove armor...

"Brendan," asks Jay, "perhaps you could help me with some research? I would like to see if we can determine the current location of the ship Pilgrim."

Now that it occurs to him, Jay has a question for HAR-Vee. Contacting him via unicom, he asks, "HAR-Vee, when you get a chance, do you think you could modify one of the space suit EVA maneuver units to work with my medium combat armor?"

OOC: Turanil, we discussed tracking the current location of a ship in the Solar System on the "Talking the Talk" thread here. I am not sure what skill(s) would apply. Possibly navigation w/ a computer use synergy? Anyway, with or without Brendan's help, Jay would like to make the attempt. I'll leave the random number generation to you, unless you prefer otherwise.

Turanil

First Post
Jay Purr said:
OOC: Turanil, we discussed tracking the current location of a ship in the Solar System on the "Talking the Talk" thread here. I am not sure what skill(s) would apply. Possibly navigation w/ a computer use synergy? Anyway, with or without Brendan's help, Jay would like to make the attempt. I'll leave the random number generation to you, unless you prefer otherwise.

Jay attempts to track down the Pilgrim. This takes him some time. In fact his first attempt is a relative failure. To begin with, the shuttle's computer and radar cannot track down a small ship across the solar system. However, Jay connects the infosphere (Internet) and searches the public information available in the Space Traffic Control & Regulations Agency database. What he learns again, is that the Pilgrim departed in direction of Jupiter almost one month ago, and should have reached it by now, or should reach it soon. No distress signal, but also no infomorph message concerning the whereabouts of the old spaceship, was ever sent, or at least received.

You realize that to track down the Pilgrim you will have to either:

1) Ask the Space Traffic Control & Regulations Agency, and as such bring attention to yourself, and so to the Telarion and Sarteck Inc. Maybe it would be better to remain discreet? The fact is, you would have to give some explanations as why you want to know, and others could learn you want to know. After all, making such long-distance scanning requires the use of powerful radars and takes time, plus costs money.

2) You could try to use the equipment of the Telarion to do the search, but despite having high performance sensors and radars, it's unlikely that you spot them from such a distance. In any case, you must first know the signal code of the Pilgrim's beacon, if indeed he has one functionning.

[OOC: To discreetly learn the signal-code of the Pilgrim's beacon, requires a hack Computer-Use check at DC=25. Then, to locate the spaceship from a so long distance, using the Telarion's radar, is very unlikely. It would require one Computer-Use check at DC=20, PLUS one Search check at DC=35. It would be much more easy if the Telarion was around Jupiter to perform the search... Of course, if the Telarion goes on into space, it will have much time to do a thorough search (and thus "take 20" on the check), while the DC will decrease as Jupiter is closer.]

Last edited:

Brendan Radley

First Post
Jay Purr said:
Jay replies, "I trust that they will contact us directly if something untoward happens. Kecia is with them, and I believe she can handle anything short of truly overwhelming opposition. Still, I was wondering if we might not be well served by one us being 'suited up,' just in case. Yes, I would certainly be more comfortable if I had an extra layer of protection between me and the cold, hard emptiness of open space."

Brendan smiles at the mention of cold, empty space.

"Feel free, but like you said, we probably won't be needed," he says.

Jay Purr said:
"Brendan," asks Jay, "perhaps you could help me with some research? I would like to see if we can determine the current location of the ship Pilgrim."

"Anything to pass the time," Brendan replies, and gladly assists where possible, although they don't end up finding what they want.

Vincent Collins

First Post
Sensing the clear connection between Shabu-Avindranath Corp. and Shemezgan and Balmers, thanks to Dr. Cain Freerover’s poignant questioning, Vincent continues the charade accordingly,

“Ahh so you have had dealings in these parts before Mr. Shemezgan, if not for the expressed purpose of antimatter research. That is most enlightening… as it gives us the confidence we need to bring matters of acquisition back to our superiors. Naturally, this is the next step in any of these dealings. I have to approve any purchases with our corporate head officers before finalizing any negotiations. You know how these corporate purchase operations can be, any number of kinks and bugs to be worked out in the system before moving forward with anything concrete. Speaking of which, what was the price you were prepared to quote on these acquisitions…”

At the word bug, Vincent laughs dryly and shoots a knowing look at Corporal Tavernier at a discreet moment.

Vincent then follows the necessary conversational steps to insure that Sarteck’s offer to purchase the materials in question appears genuine before breaking off negotiations with promises to return with confirmation from the corporate heads.

Last edited:

Jay Purr

First Post
Jay would like to pursue a different line of research with regard to Pilgrim. Once comfortably attired in his medium combat armor, gauntlets and helmet close by, he seeks Brendan's assistance.

"Brendan," he suggests, "let's try a somewhat different approach. I am still somewhat suspicious of the use to which Pilgrim may be put. Let's see if we can track her maintenance and upgrade history."

Turanil, Jay would like to conduct this research discretely, but his goal is to see if he can at least find where the ship has been refitted in the past, applying Computer Use and/or other relevant skills. Once we know who has worked on the ship, it may be possible to dig deeper and find out what was done to it.

Note that this line of inquiry relates to my musings on the "Talking the Talk" thread here.

Last edited:

Brendan Radley

First Post
Brendan nods, impressed by the idea.

"Done and done," Brendan replies, sitting back and starting to pull up useful files from the infoshpere.

[ooc: Will aid another on whatever check is required once it's specified.]

Turanil

First Post
[OOC: Jay, make two rolls: one Computer Use check at DC=15, and one Search check at DC=15. Brendan: to "Aid Another" you make a skill check at DC=10, and if successful, this gives a +2 bonus to Jay's roll. You cannot take 10 or 20, since it is done in the shuttle during the time the others are in the station. Please use the Online Dice Roller, also sending the result to dominique.crouzet@libertysurf.fr BTW: if Kecia put the spying device somewhere, tell me where (under a chair, behind something, etc.), then roll a Hide check on the Online Dice Roller. Thanks.]

Last edited:

Brendan Radley

First Post
"Ah, now this should be useful," Brendan says, locating some things of interest, "Check these out."

Brendan uploads some beneficial information to Jay, hopefully making his associate's search easier.

[computer use: rolled 15 + 2 = 17
search: rolled 9 + 2 = 11]

Last edited:

Jay Purr

First Post
Seeking info on Pilgrim

Turanil said:
Jay, make two rolls: one Computer Use check at DC=15, and one Search check at DC=15.

Results:

Computer Use = 11 + 13 = 24
Search = 16 + 2 = 18

Last edited:

Remove ads