• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 future setting?

exile

First Post
Morgenstern,
I like what you have posted so far...A LOT. What is the title of teh product you posted the excerpts from? When do you think it will be available? Print or PDF? Can you tell us more about the thralls that were mntioned briefly?
Chad

kroh

First Post
OOOH! OOOOOH! I want illicit trading opportunitites! Sign me UP!

Do you run over ICQ? Play By Post? Telepathic gaming?

Regards,
Walt

JohnSnow

Hero
Personally, I could see WotC doing a revamped setting combining elements of both Star*Drive and Star Frontiers. They incorporated both into d20 Future, so it's kind of a natural mix.

Of course, basing a d20 Future setting on the new Battlestar Galactica series would be pretty awesome too. The truth is they just need to do a special d20 Future: Space Opera setting book, and incorporate some cool stuff that people can use to build their OWN settings. Like the Apocalypse and CyberTech books.

Sci-Fi is, IMO, too personal to use a canned setting. Even the Star Wars RPG fell a little flat and I really LIKE Star Wars.

Ranger REG

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
Personally, I could see WotC doing a revamped setting combining elements of both Star*Drive and Star Frontiers. They incorporated both into d20 Future, so it's kind of a natural mix.
But then this would be a totally different setting. How does one reconcile the role difference between the Concord Administrator (yeah, this name/title is one syllable too many and in need of revamping even if it is established in the original material) and a Star Law Officer?

JohnSnow said:
Of course, basing a d20 Future setting on the new Battlestar Galactica series would be pretty awesome too. The truth is they just need to do a special d20 Future: Space Opera setting book, and incorporate some cool stuff that people can use to build their OWN settings. Like the Apocalypse and CyberTech books.
Isn't d20 Future space opera ready? Are we missing some other elements?

JohnSnow

Hero
Ranger REG said:
But then this would be a totally different setting. How does one reconcile the role difference between the Concord Administrator (yeah, this name/title is one syllable too many and in need of revamping even if it is established in the original material) and a Star Law Officer?

Pick the cooler one. :cool:

Okay...that's a bit flippant. But the simple answer is that it would require a fairly delicate balancing act to preserve the flavor people liked in each setting. I freely admit that I haven't looked at the setting detail for either one in AGES, but what about something like this:

Out to the edge of "settled space," you have the various independent Stellar nations. IIRC, in Star*Drive, the Concord is like an interstellar U.N. It operated with the grudging support of the various stellar nations because it keeps the peace and deals with "real threats" to civilizations at large.

In the combined setting, Star Law (which is a Marshall service dealing with tracking down criminals) plays the same role for the Concord that Marvel Comics SHIELD does for the U.N. Alternatively, it could be tied to a specific nation.

Out on the stellar frontier is where the action takes place. Get back into settled space, and Star Law's jurisdiction may be severely limited. Of course, tracking fugitives that go from one nation to another would be in their purview...

Like I said, it would be tricky, but it's definitely doable. Besides, technology development and political changes since the release of either setting would force one to rewrite large portions of the "History of the Future" chapters ANYWAY.

TresGeek

First Post
JohnSnow said:
But the simple answer is that it would require a fairly delicate balancing act to preserve the flavor people liked in each setting.
I have heard that some have placed the setting from Star Frontiers into one of the outer regions in the Star*Drive settings -- either the Far Reach or the Orion Frontier. Bascially mankind went in two different directions and lost contact with each other. Some where down the road they meet again. Chaos ensues.

What time period is Star Frontiers set it? Star*Drive begins in 2501. I wonder if the timelines would match up. Not that it would matter too much though.

My vote for a new d20F setting? Something along the lines of a mixture of Cowboy Bebop and Firefly. Not too distant future, low tech. Guns, booze, and semi-legal cargo.

Crothian

First Post
DMH said:
There is another d20 space opera game, but it is not D20M/F. Center Space (pdf only) just had a major revision so I don't know how much of the funky rules in the conversion from the original ruleset stuck around.

It's interesting. It didn't grab me any more or less then other sci fi space opera settings I've read. Personally,I'd perfer to steal peices from that to expand another setting I like more then just use it.

Remove ads