• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Future

Alaska Roberts

First Post
Ok, everything I have read and heard has d20 Future coming out in August. So I go to check Amazon, and see when i can expect to get a copy and they have the date of release as September 1, yes i know its 1 day after August, but come on, why are the releases always at the end of the month? I was hoping for a August 3rd or something.

I must be out of my mind

Alaska

reanjr

First Post
Alaska Roberts said:
Ok, everything I have read and heard has d20 Future coming out in August. So I go to check Amazon, and see when i can expect to get a copy and they have the date of release as September 1, yes i know its 1 day after August, but come on, why are the releases always at the end of the month? I was hoping for a August 3rd or something.

I must be out of my mind

Alaska

They're always at the end of the month. I think I can give you an example of why this may be.

When a product is near release I will often run off to the store to see if it's out yet. Invariably, it never is. But then I'm at the store and I wanted to get something. So I find something else to buy. I then return to the store for the original product I wanted later. I am a consumer whore. I'm sure there are others like me.

Amazon, I have found, usually gets a product from Wizards a couple of days late. I don't know exactly why this is, but whenever I order something from Amazon, it hasn't shipped by the time it is available at the store. So I'll cancel my order sometimes and just go buy it at the store. On the other hand, sometimes Amazon ships it a day or two BEFORE the release date, so you get it on the release date. That's cool when that happens. Never happened with Wizards products for me though. Only DVDs

TDRandall

Explorer
Wasn't Amazon one of the distributors that got dinged when they sent out stuff early? This was "way back when", but I remember WOTC getting huffy about it for some specific (group of?) product(s).

Shoot, it's so cloudy in my memory - what was the actual product that caused the uproar? Was it the original 3.0 materials?

Anyway, if my mind isn't running down a completely wrong path, it would explain the wait for someone you think would always try to be ahead of the game. (ew, sorry about the punnish reference to the whole incident there!)

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Bran Blackbyrd said:
The one thing you CAN expect is that we won't get a straight answer about when any product is getting released. Ever.
That's because until the product is leaving your warehouse, you never really know.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I think Amazon is intentionally held back from sending WOTC (and other gaming books) early to protect Game Stores.

WOTC makes more money per copy on books sold at a gamestore as upposed to those sold on amazon.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Some of us, it's about our only way to get the book. We have no game stores within 3 hours of where we live in Ohio, so I have to order, for the most part, and pray.

--fje

Remove ads