• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Mecha: Anybody using it?

Gospog

First Post
jrients said:
Anybody using d20 Mecha from Guardians of Order? What are you doing with it?

Well, I'm hoping this sort of answers your question; as I am using the D20 Mecha Compendium from DP9. The Compendium is like the sister book to the d20 Mecha "main book" from GOO.

I'm actually using Mecha Crusade for my main mecha rules.
I ran a Mecha Crusade one-shot when the Polyhedron came out.
And now (steam powered) mecha will feature in a couple of episodes om my Second Season of Shadow Chasers. I am using the mecha builds from the Compendium for inspiration and some rules.

So I guess the short answer to your question is "no" ;)
But I hope you find my use of the Compendium answer enough.

And I'm curious to see what other posters answer. Is the GOO mecha book worth it for me?

Ranger REG

Explorer
For $20 print product, yes. For the free downloadable Mecha d20 System Reference Document, can you find a better bargain?

If you want a mecha creation rules or vehicle creation rules -- be it a jacked-up armored Corvette or a Russian tank, a 16-masted sailing ship or a space station -- it is definitely worth it.

It is definitely a good companion to the MECHA CRUSADE mini-game.

P.S. If you already have d20 Mecha Deluxe Compendium, no need to pick up d20 Mecha, since the bulk of the ruleset is already there, thanks to the Mecha d20 SRD.

Last edited:

nobodez

Explorer
Well, I've become a big fan of the system after buying a week ago during a con. I've built quite a few mechas, both for fun, and to compare it's results to those I find in already published games.

And, from what I've discovered, the Purchase DC rules need a bit of a tweek (though I'm not sure how exactly), the US$ and Purchase DC paragraphs need to be cross-checked (one says extra for space/underwater, the other space/flying). Also, either the credits rules are way off, or the LAAT/i Attack Gunship in the SW:RCR is way too cheap. (By an order of magnitude).

But, aside from that, I plan on using it to contruct some armored cars in my d20M game, and heopfully an armored vehicle or two for my d20SW game (though I'm gonna have to compare the SW and D20Mecha prices to get the price down).

Also, if you have the DP9 book, there is no need to get the GoO book, unless either you want a lighter, thinner book, or need a loaner copy for your players that doesn't have any mecha examples you're using in it. I plan on buying the DP9 book eventually, as well as the GoO d20 Mecha Military Vehicle book coming out this year (when I don't know).

whisper_jeff

First Post
nobodez said:
I plan on buying the GoO d20 Mecha Military Vehicle book coming out this year (when I don't know).

Please forgive me for using this as an opportunity to launch into a sales pitch, but d20 Military Vehicles is truly a RAWKIN' cool book!! Masterful game designer David Pulver and US Major Rich Spainhour did a truly fantastic job writing this reference on real-world military vehicles. I know I said this was a sales pitch but I honestly love this book. Anyone runningany sort of d20 game that uses military vehicles (or just interested in them, even if not running a game) must check this book out. It is fantastic. In every way.

You can see more info at the bottom of this page http://www.guardiansorder.com/d20/products.php

While this was a sales pitch, it's one that I'm behind 110%. I love this book and I think d20 fans are also going to love it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads