• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E d20 Modern 4e

Vigilance

Explorer
Aussiegamer said:
Me thinks there will be a "fee" as they are heading down that road.

Well you might "thinks" so, but Wizards has openly said there won't be a charge to publish materials under the OGL or access the SRD.

They've addressed this issue.

Aussiegamer

First Post
I don't get the time to read every bits of gossip about the new system and so ask here, if those with the real facts would be so kind as to tell us when I ask of them and that would alter the opinions of mne.

So once again I agree, there is to be no cost to access the MSRD.

Do you have an official link stating no cost to publish on a 3rd party for 4th ed?

or

Do you have an official link stating that to use aspects of some parts of the new system will not come at a cost or such?

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Aussiegamer said:
I don't get the time to read every bits of gossip about the new system and so ask here, if those with the real facts would be so kind as to tell us when I ask of them and that would alter the opinions of mne.

So once again I agree, there is to be no cost to access the MSRD.

Do you have an official link stating no cost to publish on a 3rd party for 4th ed?

or

Do you have an official link stating that to use aspects of some parts of the new system will not come at a cost or such?

Scott Rouse says here, there will be no fee to use the OGC.

They considered charging one for the d20 logo, but seem to have decided against that as well.

They're trying to figure out a way to make the d20 logo mean something, a mark of "quality".

But either way, they have definitively said in the post below that the OGL will cost nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

Zilch.

Which is what I told you above.

I didn't realize I needed to quote someone to prove it to you.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13448297&postcount=79

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
They're trying to figure out a way to make the d20 logo mean something, a mark of "quality".
You mean to rudely tell them aspiring third-party publishers "NO" to their mediocre and low-quality products?

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
You mean to rudely tell them aspiring third-party publishers "NO" to their mediocre and low-quality products?

I don't think it's that, because they are still going to have an OGL.

I think they want what they had before, in the early days of 3e, where the d20 logo was taken to mean that the product was more compatible, and OGL was a wild and whacky off the wall thing.

I remember when I first started working on books, the OGL was sort of radioactive. People wanted the d20 logo because they felt it would lead to sales.

Over time, products like M&M, which was the first book I can think of that was a big success without the logo, started to show that buyers weren't necessarily looking for that little logo like some of us thought they were.

And of course, little muckings around with the d20 STL encouraged publishers to begin using the OGL more as well.

One last point, and I don't think YOU were saying this Reg, but I frequently hear people saying 4e needs some sort of limited license to keep all us little guys from swarming out like rats and glutting the market with bad product.

Without naming names, I can think of some big publishers who were both responsible for more of the crap, and more of the glut, than I could ever have DREAMED of doing.

Kenson

First Post
Vigilance said:
Over time, products like M&M, which was the first book I can think of that was a big success without the logo, started to show that buyers weren't necessarily looking for that little logo like some of us thought they were.
Part of the reason being that the d20 System logo wasn't an assurance of anything: quality or even compatibility really. There are some fantastic d20 System products and OGL products, but also some incredibly bad examples in both categories. The lack of consistency ultimately rendered the d20 logo almost meaningless.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
I don't think it's that, because they are still going to have an OGL.
True, but at least they don't have to carry the d20 System logo.

Vigilance said:
I think they want what they had before, in the early days of 3e, where the d20 logo was taken to mean that the product was more compatible, and OGL was a wild and whacky off the wall thing.
That doesn't leave much room for new rules, mechanics or options.

Vigilance said:
I remember when I first started working on books, the OGL was sort of radioactive. People wanted the d20 logo because they felt it would lead to sales.
Well, that WAS the initial idea, just as much as seeing a computer game with a "Compatible with Windows" label on it.

Vigilance said:
Well, it's not like WotC (and Ryan Dancey) didn't see this coming.

Vigilance said:
And of course, little muckings around with the d20 STL encouraged publishers to begin using the OGL more as well.
If by this you mean, the latest version with additional "quality standards" restriction, then in some way, I agree.

Vigilance said:
One last point, and I don't think YOU were saying this Reg, but I frequently hear people saying 4e needs some sort of limited license to keep all us little guys from swarming out like rats and glutting the market with bad product.
All I can fess up to is my following request to WotC: "delay the release of 4e SRD for one year."

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kenson said:
Part of the reason being that the d20 System logo wasn't an assurance of anything: quality or even compatibility really. There are some fantastic d20 System products and OGL products, but also some incredibly bad examples in both categories. The lack of consistency ultimately rendered the d20 logo almost meaningless.
So, how does one give an almost meaningless logo something a customer would trust?

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
So, how does one give an almost meaningless logo something a customer would trust?

You'd either have to carefully screen the companies allowed to use the license, or screen individual products.

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
All I can fess up to is my following request to WotC: "delay the release of 4e SRD for one year."

What good would that do?

You want to keep it out of the grubby hands of the groundlings for awhile? Let it be pure and innocent for a time?

Remove ads