D20 Modern Dungeon Crawling

The_Universe

First Post
28. Secret Chamber Beneath the Sphinx at Giza

Almost forgot this one. Secret chamber beneath the Sphinx at Giza is popular with conspiracy people and UFO enthusiasts. Reported to contain everything from the Ark of the Covenent to the Secret history of Alien Ancestors to humanity to the whereabouts of Atlantis, it was predicted to be discovered by several prominent psychics in the early part of the 20th century.

NOW I'm tapped.

Andy_Collins

First Post
d20 Modern dungeon crawls

The Descent, by Jeff Long, is a pretty interesting depiction of what a long-term modern "dungeon crawl" might look like. The characters investigate a newly discovered network of tunnels far, far underground that link entire continents.

Basically, it's D&D's "Underdark" concept transferred to a modern setting.

Rolzup

First Post
Andy_Collins said:
The Descent, by Jeff Long, is a pretty interesting depiction of what a long-term modern "dungeon crawl" might look like. The characters investigate a newly discovered network of tunnels far, far underground that link entire continents.

Basically, it's D&D's "Underdark" concept transferred to a modern setting.

Seconded.

I read the book a year ago, and was really torn by it. The plot and the characterization were...weak, at best.

But man, Long did an amazing job on the setting. Really brought the underground to life, and on that basis alone I've been recommending the book.

Rolzup

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
29: Tunnel complex beneath a large theme park.
It's a well known fact that there is a huge system of tunnels and control centers beneath Disney World. Sounds like a great place for a dungeon crawl.

Terrorists are holding the patrons of a large theme park hostage. There are mooks with automatic weapons guarding the exits, but the masterminds are likely controlling the show from underneath the park. Get in there and stop them.

A theme park has been closed following a string of fatal accidents. It won't be reopened until the state inspectors give it the OK, but the inspectors have failed to show up. Further checking will reveal that they have actually disappeared. Why have the inspectors gone missing, were the original accidents caused on purpose? (a park employee was smuggling large amounts of drugs into the park packed inside the pieces of a new attraction that was being built. With the park closed he and the drug smugglers he's gotten involved with are repackaging the drugs and shipping them before the park can reopen).

Depending on the size of the park you could have everything from computer controlled parades and animatronic dinosaurs interfering with the PC's progress, to fights that take place dangerously close to the underground gears of a carousel (of course in an ultra-cinematic campaign a cliched fight among the carousel horses might be better).

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
From another thread.

30: Airplane Graveyard
A vast scrapyard full of derelict airplanes.
The vintage WWII planes might be disappearing because aliens, whose probes (foo fighters) witnessed these flying machines during the war are collecting them; Maybe for an alien museum, a collection of human artifacts telling the story of our existence.

Maybe creatures that end up in the graveyard have started to come back out horribly mutated. One of the planes contains a Nazi super-weapon that was captured by an allied war hero. The weapon was forgotten about or never discovered by the government at large and its strange properties/energies are twisting whatever gets near it.

The spirits of countless plane crash victims haunt the aviation graveyard and they are becoming increasingly restless. The spirits have begun to merge with the scrap creating gear golems, and things of that nature. Three words, Animated Jumbo Jet.

In that same vein; the fallen heroes of the war (whichever war that may be) cannot rest and their planes rise aloft at night with an eerie glow. These Flying Dutchmen of the air patrol the nighttime sky seeking out their enemies. Perhaps somewhere there is a scrapyard full of enemy planes undergoing the same supernatural phenomenon...
The enemy planes need to be destroyed before the innocent populace comes to harm during one of these twilight raids. Then the heroes of yore can finally rest.

Something is hidden in the graveyard that a number of organizations with evil aims want. Maybe it's hidden technology from the war, maybe it's the remains of a UFO that collided with an aircraft, who knows. Whatever IT is, the PCs must retrieve it and make sure that it never falls into the wrong hands.

The graveyard could also be home to a growing toxyderm about to go on a rampage.

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
The_Universe said:
traps and technology.

19. Masonic Temple/Lodge

Large meeting places for the group most blamed for conspiracies in the world, these buildings tend to look like medieval citadels in urban cityscapes. Laborinthine structures with lots of symbolic architecture, these make for great "dungeons." Watch out for secret pyramid symbolism, all American leaders since WWII, and erotic-satanist rituals: all a part of the modern conspiracy mythology that belong here. ;)

Man, the fun I miss out on... I'm not alowed to do any Masonic riffs. Being married into a family of local Masonic Higher-Ups wth multi-generational pedigrees ensured anything like that is met with hostile spousal response. Espescially since said spouse is a former regional dictator or whatever they call it in the Eastern Star organization. :(

Edit: Lost the thread, interrupted while typing by hot chicken and mashed potatoes. :) Ahem. As I meant to finish...

I'm descended from a family involved in the Knights Templar, and I feel free to use them mercilessly. Pheh.

Last edited:

Remove ads