D20 Modern vs. Spycraft: Tell me which one you like better

Acid_crash said:
My .02 cents.

I've owned both, tried both, and like both. Add in Grim Tales, and we have three really cool systems that can emulate much of which any three can play.

If.... Spycraft 2.0 had been named Moderncraft 2.0, or just Moderncraft, then we would not be having the discussion of saying Spycraft 2.0 is primarily a "spy, espionage" game. When I think of Spycraft 2.0, I think of it as Moderncraft instead.

With the campaign qualities in the back, and the conversion documents on their forums, including the psionics and magic stuff, then it's easy to play a supernatural game using Spycraft.

I prefer to play d20 Modern more for one, and only one, reason... the way I run my campaigns, I like the Wealth system more than the Gear picks in Spycraft. I don't run mission style games myself, where people can choose to pick what gear they want for missions. That's not my preference, and so I will stick with the inferior game system simply because, for me, that's way easier for me to handle.

If you guys came up with a NON-GEAR-pick-selection system for equipment, for the classes, using a variable Wealth mechanic like d20M instead, then d20 Modern is history. Period. :)

-------------

On a SIDE Note: When are you guys coming out with FantasyCraft? Huh? C'mon, I know you are thinking about it. Lots of people have been asking, off and on, over the years since Spycraft first came out. What's taking you all so long? ;)
Couldn't you just port over the D20 Modern Wealth system? You will need to make up Purchse DCs for a lot of Spycraft-specific equipment, I assume, but technically, that's no big deal.

solkan_uk

First Post
The spycraft gear system is quite tied in, i.e. your two gear progressions Wealth and Gear are tied into which class you are - that said if you're aware of this you can compensate.

Personally I have no problem with with Spycraft Gear, I view it like Firefly - you have a few things that you always have on you (mals pistol & ship, Zoe's shotgun and body armour etc) and a few things that are around just for the episode (Jayne's grenades, disguises to get into a hospital on Ariel etc).#

D20 modern goes halfway on the abstract (your wealth is x, we don't worry about credit etc), but then gets you to actually buy all your gear - despite brushing over the fact that you'll still have other stuff in your home that doesn't get mentioned.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
solkan_uk said:
D20 modern goes halfway on the abstract (your wealth is x, we don't worry about credit etc), but then gets you to actually buy all your gear - despite brushing over the fact that you'll still have other stuff in your home that doesn't get mentioned.
On-Hand wealth checks.

solkan_uk

First Post
Hmm, for some reason I misinterpreted that rule when I used to play - I assumed mundane object was something not particularly useful - something like sunglasses, a zippo lighter, a can of hairspray etc.

EDIT: Besides which the whole paragraph about this was a tangeant anyway - I think the d20 wealth mechanic works fine, if a little on the hard to grasp side. My main post was just how I view the Spycraft wealth working, which works for most games IMHO.

I think rather than transplanting d20 modern wealth to Spycraft, you may get more mileage out of just using the spycraft wealth, but with the following changes.
Your gear does not reset at the start of each mission, however you may make a request check at the start of each mission to see if you can restore any items you've lost/broken (as per usual request checks). Every time you gain a level you can gain new equipment to make up the difference to your new wealth.
Gear found in the field can be kept from mission to mission.

Last edited:

Remove ads