• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d6 Star Wars] Inspirational supplements?

Turjan

Explorer
I haven't owned any d6 SW books so far, but yesterday night I saw a copy of Platt's Starport Guide in a second hand bookstore. It looked like fresh from the printer, and the great illustrations made me buy it. Upon reading, I found that it was a very inspirational source that nicely circumvented most of the stuff covered by the films but, nevertheless, seemed to be a good fit for some SW-like campaign.

For those of you who know the d6 SW books: Which books of that series did inspire great campaigns for you? I'm mostly interested in stuff not covered by the films, because there's enough non-RPG material available for a concise overview.

So, which ones are your favorites, and why?

Random Axe

Explorer
Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters was an excellent supplement for that, it put forward a great framework for a different kind of campaign, with a lot of simple rules for building, maintaining and upgrading the starships. I still use it to this day.

Pbartender

First Post
Lords of the Expanse is a great SW D6 campaign setting.

Imagine Machiavellian Italy in space, and you'd come pretty close.

Anticitizen One

First Post
I ran a star wars d6 game for a couple of years, and we had a lot of fun with it. West End made a lot of sourcebooks for it, some of them were good, some not so good. Here are a couple that I used a lot...

Pirates and Privateers has some good equipment, ships, and some cool locations. This book was pretty useful and inspired some memorable adventures. The Far Orbit Project was a big adventure that used stuff which from the Pirates book, I didn't run the adventure as written but I stole a ton of NPCs and locations from it.

Rules of Engagement deals with Rebel Alliance and Imperial special forces troops, and there is a lot of fun equipment and adventure ideas in here.

The Tales of the Jedi sourcebook was very cool. It tells you how to run a game set in the era of the Tales of the Jedi comics, about 4000 years before a New Hope. I used a ton of the items and equipment and lore in this book in my 'modern' star wars game, and it fleshed out a lot of details about the Jedi that were kind of vague at that point, pre Episide 1.

Galladinum's Fantastic Tecnology and Gundark's fantastic technology were cool books full of neat equipment and saw a lot of use. Cynabar's fantastic technology: Droids is highly useful if anyone is playing a droid character.

I'm sure there are more. I really liked playing Star Wars d6, but in my experience it gets pretty unplayable at higher 'levels,' when characters have to throw down dozens of dice every time they shoot something. I didn't really like Star Wars d20 (I only played the first edition, didn't really even look at the revised ones), but there is something to be said for using the d20 rules. Good luck!

Turjan

Explorer
Random Axe said:
Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters was an excellent supplement for that, it put forward a great framework for a different kind of campaign, with a lot of simple rules for building, maintaining and upgrading the starships. I still use it to this day.
They had that at the shop. Completely soaked in coke and dried afterwards. For $8 :\. But I should probably look out for a different source.

Turjan

Explorer
Pbartender said:
Lords of the Expanse is a great SW D6 campaign setting.

Imagine Machiavellian Italy in space, and you'd come pretty close.
Never heard of that one. Is this based on some comic or novel?

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
Anticitizen One said:
I didn't really like Star Wars d20 (I only played the first edition, didn't really even look at the revised ones), but there is something to be said for using the d20 rules. Good luck!
I actually like the d20 Star Wars rules, including some of the Jedi Counseling changes. I'm curious how the new rules coming out in May will be.

And thanks for the suggestions :).

Btw, I'm mostly interested in books that don't deal directly with the film conflict. I'm pretty sure I won't use the SW universe as written but something similar.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
If you can find it, a good one is the Planets Collection. It was actually a compilation of 3 volumes of Planets of the Galaxy supplements in one book. At 254 pages, its the fattest SW softback I own.

Anyway, its got good writeups of about 20 different planets, with NPCs, sites, critters, culture, industry etc. Its also got a neat do-it-yourself planet generation system.

Two chapters are just random planets. (we had fun on the ice planet of Garnib) The other chapter is the planets that make up the Elrood sector, which is more of a mini campaign setting...great for smuggler campaigns.

All the planets are original. The only crossover with the movies IIRC is that there are Imperials around.

Also, there used to be a Journal. I think it was just called Star Wars Journal. It was like Dragon Mag for Star Wars, except it was mostly black and white, and instead of a regular magazine it was like a really fat digest sized mag. (Sorry, I've lost my copies) These had fiction, new NPCs, starships, blueprints, locales etc. (Everything was pretty much original too...not drawn from the films) They were fun. Maybe see if any of those are kicking around.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
Turjan said:
Never heard of that one. Is this based on some comic or novel?

I don't think so; I think it was created whole-cloth by WEG. (It came out, IIRC, fairly late in their tenure with the product.)

Remove ads