D6 Star Wars RPG Thoughts

Applied Vectors

First Post
I loved the first edition Star Wars game, It still remains my favorite version of Star Wars ever!

Such an easy to use and fast system to learn, meant you could focus on the story rather than be bogged down by rules.

D6 Star Wars was the first RPG I ever played, the first one I ever ran, and one of my all-time favorites, if not my favorite (it would be between that and D&D 3.5).

In terms of mechanical thoughts:
1. I would do more to consolidate the Technical skills. There are a LOT of them, and they are often redundant. This goes double when you start adding in skills from some of the sourcebooks like (A) Space Station Engineering, (A) Capitol Ship Engineering, Mechanical Repair (from Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook, an NPC repairman on Coruscant had it, meant to represent ability to repair plumbing and other mundane utility/hardware issues).

I would fold Starfighter Repair, Space Transports Repair, Capitol Ship Repair, Space Station Repair and Starship Weapons Repair into just a Starship Repair skill. I would do the same with the (A) Engineering versions into a (A) Starship Engineering skill.

2. I would come up with a better way of handling wounds/damage. As-is, a starting wookiee with a starting strength of 6D has little to fear from a random 4D blaster pistol hit. If he's wearing any armor, he can basically shrug off anything except sustained fire and becomes a juggernaut.

3. I would genuinely love a well made sourcebook that incorporated events after WEG collapsed in '98. I've always been kinda upset that they folded right before the prequels got underway. What WEG would have done with the prequels could have been awesome. I've seen some fan-made works, but they were of varying quantity.

A lot of new powers, and new versions of old powers would need to be created. Probably some mechanic for keeping certain powers rare too. Morichiro is essentially a weaponized version of Place Other in Hibernation Trance. Emerald Judgement is a version of Force Lightning that isn't dark-side (i.e. easily game breaking if not restricted, and it's already tightly restricted in the setting).

Water Bob

Adventurer
1. I would do more to consolidate the Technical skills. There are a LOT of them, and they are often redundant. This goes double when you start adding in skills from some of the sourcebooks like (A) Space Station Engineering, (A) Capitol Ship Engineering, Mechanical Repair (from Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook, an NPC repairman on Coruscant had it, meant to represent ability to repair plumbing and other mundane utility/hardware issues).

Solution 1: Go back to the (fewer) mechanical skills in 1st edition.

Solution 2: Combine away. I don't think the game would suffer.

Solution 3: I suggest upthread a bit to allow a lot of overlap with the skills. If a character is trying to hide some data in a computer bank for his Rebel contact to find, and this character has a high Droid Programming skill, then allow the character to use that at a -1D penalty rather than standard Computer skill.

2. I would come up with a better way of handling wounds/damage. As-is, a starting wookiee with a starting strength of 6D has little to fear from a random 4D blaster pistol hit. If he's wearing any armor, he can basically shrug off anything except sustained fire and becomes a juggernaut.

1. In WEG's D6 Space game (free, see the link earlier in the thread to obtain it), a second method of handling wounds is offered.

2. Don't forget that, the more D6 you throw, the more centralized the distribution. More dice means highs and lows will on occur as often. The average on 4D is 14. The average on 6D is 21. BUT, you'll have bigger swings more often with the 4D throw. The spread can account for a Wookiee's toughness and ability to shrug off wounds.

3. Limit STR for rolling wounds. Use the same rules, but half STR. Or, apply wound effects and other penalities that do not normally apply. For example, a wookiee with 6D STR is -1D to all skill checks, but not the damage resistance roll, when wounded. Well, consider that a wounded wookiee cannot resist damage as well as a wookiee that is fully healed, and thus use the -1D penalty.

3. I would genuinely love a well made sourcebook that incorporated events after WEG collapsed in '98.

See the link up-thread for the fan made Clone Wars sourcebook. It will blow your mind. It looks just like a WEG product.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Here's a D6 Star Wars question that I haven't quite tweaked to my satisfaction.

Consider Character Points and piloting a starship. A pilot can use them to influence his throws, but that turns out to be a big burden for the pilot character. If you get into a couple of dog fights--and this is Star Wars, so you SHOULD get into dog fights, often--the pilot character burns up his character points while the rest of the player characters, manning other positions on the ship (gunner, navigator, or just as a passenger) still have all of theirs ready for personal combat.

Remove ads