d6 the future of d20?

SemperJase

First Post
WEG is rereleasing their d6 system made famous (infamous?) when they had the Star Wars RPG license.

It looks like they want to be all things. They have Fantasy, (modern) Adventure, and Sci-Fi handbooks.

I realize people here are biased, but what are the pros and cons of d6? I've never played it myself.

Pbartender

First Post
SemperJase said:
WEG is rereleasing their d6 system made famous (infamous?) when they had the Star Wars RPG license.

It looks like they want to be all things. They have Fantasy, (modern) Adventure, and Sci-Fi handbooks.

I realize people here are biased, but what are the pros and cons of d6? I've never played it myself.

D6 is easily customizable to a character concept, since there are no classes or levels. Is very quick and easy to learn. The one downside is the Bucket o' Dice syndrome... Tallying up 12d6 for every skill check or attack roll can really bog down gameplay.

It's fun, but personally I preferred the d10 system used for the old 7th Sea game. It's similar to the d6 system, except you use d10's, and you've got two numbers... the number of dice you roll, and the number you get to keep to tally up for the check.

shadow

First Post
I never liked the d6 system. Essentially it is a die pool system. This means that characters with high skills roll buckets of dice. Some people really like it because it is fairly cinematic - all skills default to the attribute upon which they are based (so if you have a high sttribute you can use any skill based on it easily.) However, I found it slow and clunky. Of course, that's my personal bias.

haiiro

First Post
I haven't played it in years, but the d6 system made for Star Wars games that felt like Star Wars. It's a fun system.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
d6 is alright, I like d20 better. I played the old occaisonallystar wars which was a decent RPG. And I've played reguarly in past Shadowrun (great game). But I myself like d20 better. I like levels. I like how d20 has lots of strategies to be used in combat and lots of options. I like having having 6 different types of dice.
But I really dislike 7th sea, might've just been a crappy gm.

wizardneedsfood

First Post
Star Wars d6 was the second RPG I ever played behind Mechwarrior and I really enjoyed it. I thought the mechanics worked well and I still have so many books for that game it is not even funny. Honestly for me, going to d20 with its levels and classes was a bit jarring.

midknight12

First Post
Star Wars d6 was one of my favorite systems. As pbartender said, it is easy and a player could create almost anything they could imagine. The system was very versatile. Although the large number of dice never became much of a problem until u rolled above 10d6 which happened about 50% of the time especially when u were in your specialty. I am waiting for the fantasy game since none of my group wants to play sci-fi.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
I think it is a great system, but not without its faults. It is a easily learned, skillbased and loads of fun! My main problem, however, was with the way it handles damage resolution. Quite often I had a situation where the PC had more dice to soak an attack, than I had damage dice. I also had other episodes, witch proves the cinematic parts of the game. Once one of my players manages to kill a Krayt Dragon in one hit with his Vibro Axe. Similar events happened a few times.

Remove ads