• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

Lancelot

Adventurer
Nice. Gibbering Orb, despite the similarities, is not the FR nishruu. It's a creature from the 3e Epic Level Handbook... suggesting that this could be a very high level monstrosity (e.g. CR 21+).

It'll be very interesting to see how they fill out the slots at those levels. We've already heard about the pit fiend, war devil, orcus, etc. I'd love to see some other 3e "epic" opponents re-done for 4e, such as the various abominations, demi-lich, colossi, winterwight, worm-that-walks, and mithral/adamantine golems.

Zamkaizer

First Post
And the Blood Fiend, by Chris Stevens--another Dungeons & Dragons newcomer--is up, and it's damn fine. Two out of three ain't bad.

Kishin

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
Pete Venters drew the Gibbering Orb?

Here there be Magic: The Gathering artists.

They could do worse. MtG has some fantastic artists. Dan Dos Santos, Dan Scott, Rebecca Guay (Although her art probably wouldn't fit D&D's style), and a host of others.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Zamkaizer said:
And the Blood Fiend, by Chris Stevens--another Dungeons & Dragons newcomer--is up, and it's damn fine. Two out of three ain't bad.

Blood Fiend isn't a newcomer - it was in the 3e Fiend Folio (under the broad "demon" sub-category). Good to see it returning in 4e though... and possibly with an extra pair of arms? I can't recall if the "old" bloodfiend had four arms or not.

Nice artwork, although the 3e artwork was also quite exceptional.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Zamkaizer said:

Oops. Just realized you may have meant that the artist (Chris Stevens) was the newcomer, not the blood fiend. Sorry about that - I'm not familiar with the artist, but it is a nice work.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Kishin said:
They could do worse. MtG has some fantastic artists. Dan Dos Santos, Dan Scott, Rebecca Guay (Although her art probably wouldn't fit D&D's style), and a host of others.

Actually, Rebecca Guay has done illustrations for several 3E books, including The Book of Exalted Deeds and Complete Warrior.

Concerning my original observation though, I would personally love to see much of M:tG's talent (and budget) applied to D&D. Were artists like Christopher Moeller, Jim Murray, and Kev Walker to became regular illustrators in the new edition, that alone would justify my adopting it, or at least regularly checking the gallery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads