• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage Interaction Question.

kmdietri

Explorer
Tonight in our session we fought a Larva Mage.

It has "takes half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 10 radiant,"

We had a melee attack which did +1d6 radiant damage thanks to Weapon of the Gods.

Should I have added the 10 vulnerable before I halved the damage or after I halved it?

Surgoshan

First Post
After.

Vulnerable means you take additional damage. So you take the damage from the attack (which is halved) then you take the additional damage from your vulnerability.

Underage AOLer

First Post
I seem to recall that if something has overlapping vulnerabilities and resistances, only the vulnerability would apply... but I can't find the reference. I'll let you know when/if I do.

Edit: I was wrong. Page 176 of the DMG has a blurb on overlapping abilities, and I guess I didn't remember it right. Listen to Surgoshan.

Last edited:

No, that just refers to whether the vulnerability still exists, not to the order you apply them.

In the case of a "half damage" effect plus a vulnerability, you add the extra vulnerability damage to the base damage, and then divide the whole thing by half.

So in the case of the OP, you'd roll 1d6+10, then halve the whole thing.

Last edited:

kmdietri

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
No, that just refers to whether the vulnerability still exists, not to the order you apply them.

In the case of a "half damage" effect plus a vulnerability, you add the extra vulnerability damage to the base damage, and then divine the whole thing by half.

So in the case of the OP, you'd roll 1d6+10, then halve the whole thing.

Sweet, that's how I ruled it.

Thanks Mouseferatu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads