• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

damage reduction

zypherillius

First Post
this might be a noob question, but the dm and i got into a nasty argument about it last night. keep in mind, the dm is also my brother too.

vampires have Damage Reduction 10/silver and magic.

when it says 'magic,' that specifies just magic weapons and magic attacks, or weapons with magic on them, including or not including masterwork weapons?

magic attacks meaning natural attacks with magic fang or something being a spell like ability, maybe somebody can help me clairify this!

thank :)

rvalle

First Post
Howdy.

MW weapons are NOT magical. They are just high quality normal items. Per the rules a weapon does need to be MW before it can become enchanted.

There might be some debate as to the rest of it. We've allowed weapons (or fangs) with spells on them to overcome DR.

rv

painandgreed

First Post
IIRC, DR doesn't take damage off of spells or spell like abilities, only physical attacks made by weapons. Since it says "silver and magic" any such attack that is not silver as well as being magic, suffers -10 to damage done. Natural weapons usually will usually suffer from this DR because there are few creatures out there made of silver.

Bagpuss

Legend
Direct spell like fireball and the like always overcome DR.

DR/magic

means you need a magic weapon to defeat it. Now that can either be an +1 sword or the like; or it can be a mundane weapon enhanced by a spell like Magic Weapon or Bless Weapon. In the case of natural attacks then Magic Fang has the same effect.

As mentioned though DR/silver and magic means you need to be both in the same weapon so unless someone cast Magic Fang on a silver construct, you probably need a alchemical silver weapon.

Last edited:

dvvega

Explorer
DR/Magic indicates that to overcome the DR one must be wielding some kind of magic weapon (note that DR doesn't affect spell damage).

This does not include a the masterwork bonus which is not magical but based on weapon quality.

Spells that grant enhancement bonuses make the weapon magical as far as I know so Magic Fang counts against DR/Magic.

Also note that DR does not stack, rather the creature uses the best DR option for the situation.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
SRD:
Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Magic Fang gives your fists a +1 enhancement bonus on attacks and damage rolls. I'd assume that this is similar to that of a magic weapon, so it would be considered magic in terms of bypassing DR Magic.

Edit: Bwahaha. Being sidetracked means I'm TOTALLY late in answering this question.

Voadam

Legend
From the srd:

"Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."

So a weapon enchanted with the magic weapon spell that grants it a +1 enhancment bonus as a magic effect counts as magic while a masterwork weapon with a nonmagical +1 enhancement bonus does not. Casting a light spell on the masterwork weapon does not make the enhancement bonus magical so it does not count as a magic weapon for purposes of damage reduction, even though it will detect as magical under detect magic from the non weapon magic placed upon it.

Dracandross

First Post
Well none pointed out that any creature with Dr can pierce same type of resistance with its natural weapons. (Cant remember but i think it has to be natural resistance not gained by spell. But there may be flaw in rules)

That means forexample werewolf (it has dr/silver) with magic fang could pierce dr/silver AND magic.
Therefore certain summon spells might do the trick sometimes :)!

-Dracandross

3d6

Explorer
Only damage reduction/magic and damage reduction/epic work like that. Damage reduction/silver does not allow your natural attacks to overcome damage reduction/silver.

Remove ads