• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dangerous health, + heal skill

bestone

First Post
Im thinking about implementing a rule, but i wanted peoples opinions

Your negative hp score is now equal to your con score (minimum -10), ie, if you have con 15, you can go to -15hp before DYING.

First off, Whenever a character drops below 1/3 thier health they are FATIGUED (this fatigue stacks with other effects, so fatigue + fatigue = exhausted)

Heal: Anyone attempting to heal can now try a dc 15 heal check. For every 3 points they score above the dc they may immediately heal 1 damage caused in the last battle only (this healed damage counts towards thier normal natural healing amount for the day).

You CANNOT die from massive damage, instead you pass out and are reduced to -1hp and dying.

Average Hit Points Option
Any player may, at his option, choose to take an average roll (rounded up) rather than rolling the dice when figuring hit points gained at a new level. Thus, a player may substitute a "3" for a d4 roll, a "4" for a d6 roll, a "5" for a d8 roll, a "6" for a d10 roll, and a "7" for a d12 roll.

arnon

Explorer
This is very similar to what I've got written down for my house rules for the next campaign.

Your negative hp score is now equal to your con score (minimum -10), ie, if you have con 15, you can go to -15hp before DYING.

I say there should be no minimum... a character with weak CON should die quicker.

Also, related to dying, i recommend this:

Stabilize
The character has a chance of becoming stable equal to his or her Constitution score (a character with a Constitution score of 16, has a 16% chance).
You can stabilize a dying character with a Heal skill check with a DC 10 + number of hit points by which character’s current total is below 0 (a character that dying and is at -7 HP, needs a Heal check of DC 17).

Regarding the Heal: Since i run a rare magic game i also allow Heal (skill) to return hit points, or rather, convert lethal to non-lethal damage. but doing this takes time, 10 minutes to be precise.

arnon

bestone

First Post
Noted on the con thing, i like most of it, and may use it, really like the stabilize thing

about the low con penalization: this may be too much with the fatigue for low hp - we'll see

arnon said:
Regarding the Heal: Since i run a rare magic game i also allow Heal (skill) to return hit points, or rather, convert lethal to non-lethal damage. but doing this takes time, 10 minutes to be precise.

arnon

I was actually thinking of doing something like this, non-lethal makes sense to me. I may just convert my heal skill to doing so.

Notmousse

First Post
You may wish to look at the Clobbered rules, I believe they're in CW, or DMG2. In short it's anytime you take more than half your remaining HP in damage you suffer for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads