• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DAOM IS DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!!

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
This controversy is still baffling to me. I mean, I get it, I have a strong simulationist streak and I want rules to 'make sense' within the game world and I want die rolls to represent definite events.

But with everything else that makes no sense in D&D, DoaM is the deal-breaker? Does it not bother other simulationists that characters can learn to dodge fireballs, but they can't ever learn to dodge swords better? :confused:

All things considered, DoaM seems a trivial concern.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I know, right?!?!
Glad I'm not the only one. :D

With DoaM -- it was something that required a particular archetype, right? -- I can explain it as "Well, some dudes literally never miss due to their training. It's martial magic." There, problem solved!

With AC being entirely independent of level, all I can do is sigh and swallow the gamey interpretation of hit points being shoved down my throat. :hmm:

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
At least you're swallowing and not spitting all over the place the Anti-DoaMers...
It's not like I'm spitting anything anywhere. I intend to play D&D the way that I have always played it (miss = no damage), using house rules if necessary. Half of the gaming community was going to houserule it to their liking anyway; this merely shifts the burden of houseruling from one side of the argument to the other.

Last edited:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
It's not like I'm spitting anything anywhere. I intend to play D&D the way that I have always played it (miss = no damage), using house rules it if necessary. Half of the gaming community was going to houserule it to their liking anyway; this merely shifts the burden of houseruling from one side of the argument to the other.

I think you're forgetting about the (mostly) silent majority who will mostly play the game as published and doesn't care either way.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads