• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DAOM IS DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!!

Nagol

Unimportant
Then how does the whole "IP Ban" thing work?

Generally? Poorly.

You can ban ranges, but you risk alienating people who have done nothing wrong. IIRC, enworld currently bans all of North Korea (and maybe India) from signing up new accounts, for example, because of the amount of spam-style accounts.

You try to pick as narrow a range as possible that will still affect the targeted person. One way is to look at the record of IP addresses ever used by that person to post to the site and extract a rule from that.

The problem is there are quite a few ways to circumvent IP bans.

Luckily, most have inconveniences or costs in excess of the pleasure of continuing to interact with people that have banned you.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Yeah, you are right. When I said "gaming community," I guess I should have said "Internet gaming community."

I'm sorry if I came across as nitpicky or pedantic.

But I've been a lurker/part of the silent majority for a long time here. People often forget about us. :)

Thaumaturge.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, you are right. When I said "gaming community," I guess I should have said "Internet gaming community."

It's not 1999 any more. It's a perfectly representative sample both in terms of size and quality. Anyone who makes archaic business decisions assuming otherwise is in deep trouble. It's 2014.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It's not 1999 any more. It's a perfectly representative sample both in terms of size and quality. Anyone who makes archaic business decisions assuming otherwise is in deep trouble. It's 2014.
I agree, it certainly is. I meant no disrespect to the internet-based portion of our gaming community; it just seems that people who discuss D&D on the internet are the ones most likely to houserule D&D. It was that portion of the community I was referring to, when I mentioned that the burden of houseruling would be shifted from one side to another. Everyone else, as Thaumaturge pointed out, will be content to play it as-written regardless of this rule.

I guess I should have said "houseruling gaming community" when I should have said "internet gaming community." :)

This subject turned out to be a lot more delicate than I first thought. I'll tread a little more lightly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree, it certainly is. I meant no disrespect to the internet-based portion of our gaming community; it just seems that people who discuss D&D on the internet are the ones most likely to houserule D&D. It was that portion of the community I was referring to, when I mentioned that the burden of houseruling would be shifted from one side to another. Everyone else, as Thaumaturge pointed out, will be content to play it as-written regardless of this rule.

I guess I should have said "houseruling gaming community" when I should have said "internet gaming community." :)

This subject turned out to be a lot more delicate than I first thought. I'll tread a little more lightly.

I was houseruling a decade before the internet even existed. So was everybody I know. Houseruling is not an internet phenomenon; it's as old as RPGs are.

Nagol

Unimportant
I was houseruling a decade before the internet even existed. So was everybody I know. Houseruling is not an internet phenomenon; it's as old as RPGs are.

Heck it is at least as old as Monopoly! And likely came into existence shortly after the concept of playing games met standardisation.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I agree, it certainly is. I meant no disrespect to the internet-based portion of our gaming community; it just seems that people who discuss D&D on the internet are the ones most likely to houserule D&D.
That's intuitive: you have to be a little more of an enthusiast or hobbyist to start tinkering with rules, and you'd think such folks would be more inclined to be active in an on-line community.

OTOH, the 3.x era community on the WotC boards was positively hostile to house rules even being brought up outside of the (not particularly active) forum they were exiled to. RAW ruled.

(That's specifically rule /changes/, you saw plenty of PEACH threads for original PrCs or the like. Maybe the houseruling energies were just diverted in that direction?)

Remove ads