Dark Reaper Prestige Class (formerly Grim Reaper)

Dalamar

Adventurer
I don't particularly like doing this, but *bump*

Should I change the flavor more towards Seto? Should I do something particular to the class abilities?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
For Frightful Presence, I think 5d6 rounds is a little excessive.

My initial reaction to Reaper's Blade was that it was overpowered... however, the scythe must be bonded, and this ability is gained at 10th, whereas Improved Crit is available at 8th. In addition, this ability is Su, meaning that it can be counteracted by some things, whereas Improved Crit cannot. So that ability is fine.

Skeletal Steed is fine... it's roughly equivalent to a paladin's mount, gained at a much later level (11th at earliest).

I disagree with the proficiencies gained. Scythe proficiency should be a requirement, and this class should not gain any armor proficiencies or proficiency with shields. It doesn't quite fit the flavor of a dark scythe-wielder, in my opinion.

They don't have an HD listed. My thoughts would be either d6 or d8; d10 is just too high, in my opinion. I would personally go for d8.

Other than that, I like it. They don't necessarily need to be tied to Seto, in my opinion, though some would most certainly follow Seto.

Dalamar

Adventurer
GnomeWorks said:
For Frightful Presence, I think 5d6 rounds is a little excessive.
I took the duration straight from the SRD glossary description of Frightful Presence, though I agree that it might be a bit too much. I think the main reason for such long duration is the fact that the most prominent creatures with the ability are the true dragons, for which such a long duration indeed makes sense.
Maybe 2d6 + the Grim Reaper's Charisma bonus would be better?
My initial reaction to Reaper's Blade was that it was overpowered... however, the scythe must be bonded, and this ability is gained at 10th, whereas Improved Crit is available at 8th. In addition, this ability is Su, meaning that it can be counteracted by some things, whereas Improved Crit cannot. So that ability is fine.
I was first indeed considering just giving the Improved Critical feat with the cave-at at it must be applied to a scythe type that the Grim Reaper already has the Weapon Focus feat with. But then I realised that I was giving feat equivalents almost every level, and decided to tone it down a bit.
Skeletal Steed is fine... it's roughly equivalent to a paladin's mount, gained at a much later level (11th at earliest).
Indeed, a Blackguard gains their Fiendish Servant at the same level.
I disagree with the proficiencies gained. Scythe proficiency should be a requirement, and this class should not gain any armor proficiencies or proficiency with shields. It doesn't quite fit the flavor of a dark scythe-wielder, in my opinion.
An Arcane Archer gains proficiency with all Simple and Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, and Shields. I think we both agree that shield proficiency doesn't make sense for an archer, but there it is.
As Weapon Focus requires proficiency with the chosen weapon, the character already knows how to use at least one kind of scythe, so giving them the two others they might be missing isn't too much. Though maybe the general Simple weapons proficiency would be approriate to remove.
Also, the Grim Reaper is a fighting PrC, and to my knowledge, fighting PrCs almost exclusively give access to all or at least up to Medium armor proficiency, unless they have an AC-increasing ability (Duelist, for example) or clearly wouldn't gain any benefit from wearing such armor anyway (Arcane Archer and their practically required high Dexterity; Eldricht Knight and their spellcasting).
They don't have an HD listed. My thoughts would be either d6 or d8; d10 is just too high, in my opinion. I would personally go for d8.
The HD is in the title line of the table, listed as d10. Personally I wouldn't give d6 as HD to any class whose all (or close to) abilities are centered around being in melee combat. The Blackguard gains a useful ability almost every level, and has minor spellcasting in addition. Similarly, the Duelist enjoys from an ability every level, including much more potent extra damage than the Grim Reaper.
Though if the HD ends up being the only thing keeping the Grim Reaper from being approved, I could live with a d8 (pun intended). If Skill Focus (Intimidate) was added to the prerequisites (not replacing Persuasive), would you consider it okay for d10?

Bront

The man with the probe
Might I suggest a slight change in the PrC for flavor purposes? Instead of emulating death, perhaps they are trying to be Vessles of Seto, which could also serve as the PC class. Would be a bit more enworld specific, and yet not realy change the class mechanicaly.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hmm... I might add things about Seto, but I don't think all Grim Reapers should be followers of Seto, just like not all Clerics are followers of a deity.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Dalamar said:
Maybe 2d6 + the Grim Reaper's Charisma bonus would be better?

That would be much better, so far as I'm concerned. :)

I was first indeed considering just giving the Improved Critical feat with the cave-at at it must be applied to a scythe type that the Grim Reaper already has the Weapon Focus feat with. But then I realised that I was giving feat equivalents almost every level, and decided to tone it down a bit.

The ability you have works much better. It's equivalent, but it looks better.

An Arcane Archer gains proficiency with all Simple and Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, and Shields. I think we both agree that shield proficiency doesn't make sense for an archer, but there it is.

Indeed, shield proficiency doesn't make sense with an archer - nor a scythe-wielder, in my opinion. Just because a class that is roughly similar makes a poor design decision doesn't mean you should follow it.

As Weapon Focus requires proficiency with the chosen weapon, the character already knows how to use at least one kind of scythe, so giving them the two others they might be missing isn't too much. Though maybe the general Simple weapons proficiency would be approriate to remove. Also, the Grim Reaper is a fighting PrC, and to my knowledge, fighting PrCs almost exclusively give access to all or at least up to Medium armor proficiency, unless they have an AC-increasing ability (Duelist, for example) or clearly wouldn't gain any benefit from wearing such armor anyway (Arcane Archer and their practically required high Dexterity; Eldricht Knight and their spellcasting).

Again, just because other PrC's of roughly the same type do this, doesn't mean this class needs to. I think that giving proficiency with other scythes is appropriate, and perhaps a few other similar weapons, but giving broad proficiency just doesn't fit.

The HD is in the title line of the table, listed as d10. Personally I wouldn't give d6 as HD to any class whose all (or close to) abilities are centered around being in melee combat. The Blackguard gains a useful ability almost every level, and has minor spellcasting in addition. Similarly, the Duelist enjoys from an ability every level, including much more potent extra damage than the Grim Reaper.
Though if the HD ends up being the only thing keeping the Grim Reaper from being approved, I could live with a d8 (pun intended). If Skill Focus (Intimidate) was added to the prerequisites (not replacing Persuasive), would you consider it okay for d10?

I suppose it is mostly a combat class... this struck me as more rogue-ish in feel than fighter-ish, hence my thoughts for it being d8, but it works as d10.

Hmm... I might add things about Seto, but I don't think all Grim Reapers should be followers of Seto, just like not all Clerics are followers of a deity.

I agree with this assessment. The class might be favored by followers of Seto, but that doesn't mean that the class is meant for Seto-followers only.

Bront

The man with the probe
Dalamar said:
They don't all have to be followers, but I would think anyone who's looking to have the Vissage of Soto likely has some assosiation with the god, be it follower, imitator, or blasphimer.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Unnerving Presence(Ex): The mere presence of a sevent-level Grim Reaper is unnerving. Creatures with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 don't approach a Grim Reaper that they can see within 30ft unless they are following a trick they know that requires them to come closer to him or are trained with combat general purpose. If the Grim Reaper approaches such a creature, they usually flee, or fight if fleeing isn't possible.
Creatures with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher that are within 30ft of a Grim Reaper they can see feel nervous, and know that the Grim Reaper is the source of their nervousness even if they don't know a specific reason for it.

So, what happens when the Grim Reaper encounters a Vermin (nil intelligence)? Is it affected?

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hmm... Hadn't considered the fact that some creatures lack an Intelligence score.
I think I'll add a line that creatures without an Intelligence score aren't affected in any way, that should take care of unintelligent undead and constructs as well.

Remove ads