• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Reaper Prestige Class (formerly Grim Reaper)

Knight Otu

First Post
I like Skill of Fear better overall, and I feel that Reaper's Cut would come a bit too early in this setup. Should Attention of Fear apply to Sense Motive, as well?

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hmm... That might be an approriate fit. It does open the target for easier feints by other characters, though, and I'm not sure if that's a desired result. Of course, there probably won't be that many characters able to really take advantage of it, so maybe it isn't that big of a problem.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Dalamar said:
Hmm... That might be an approriate fit. It does open the target for easier feints by other characters, though, and I'm not sure if that's a desired result. Of course, there probably won't be that many characters able to really take advantage of it, so maybe it isn't that big of a problem.

Well, if it does, Rinaldo will have found a new best friend in combat :p

Dalamar

Adventurer
The Grim Reaper has been re-updated to take into account feedback. If somebody made any posts after I made the changes last time, I didn't see them before the Big Crash ate them, so those need to reposted.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Unnerving Presence(Ex): The mere presence of a sevent-level Grim Reaper is unnerving. Creatures with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 don't approach a Grim Reaper that they can see within 30ft unless they are following a trick they know that requires them to come closer to him or are trained with combat general purpose. If the Grim Reaper approaches such a creature, they usually flee, or fight if fleeing isn't possible.

Creatures with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher that are within 30ft of a Grim Reaper they can see feel nervous, and know that the Grim Reaper is the source of their nervousness even if they don't know a specific reason for it.

Unnerving Presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.

The only issue I have with this ability is that it affects everyone. I think it should only affect creatures with fewer HD than the Grim Reaper - a character or NPC 10 levels higher than the Grim Reaper shouldn't really be that afraid of him, for example.

Xael

First Post
Personally, I'd (still) prefer changing the focus from the scythe to any weapon, as the class seems to be more about fear than scythes anyway.

This would require changing the preqruisite feat, Bonded Scythe, Reaper's Blade and Reaper's Touch. Of these only Reaper's Touch needs anything more than changing a word or two.

Ringwraiths FTW.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I don't think Unnerving Presence needs really any such restriction. The only mechanical benefit it gives is that animal-intelligence creatures don't approach him. They are not prevented from attacking him or penalized for being close to a Grim Reaper. The earliest it can possibly be gained is character level 11, the level at which a barbarian gains Greater Rage, a monk gains Greater Flurry, and most spellcasters gain their 6th-level slots (which, by the way, includes Antilife Shell for Clerics and Druids, which while smaller in area prevents all living creatures from approaching the caster and is not limited to creatures affected by mind-affecting effects).
Note that a creature isn't afraid of the Reaper due to Unnerving Presence, though maybe "nervous" for intelligent creatures isn't the best of words. Maybe "uneasy" would've been a better choice. It's not that he's frightening, he's just unsettling.
If I had opted to add a sentence saying "this also causes living creatures to feel uneasy near a 6th-level Reaper and animal-intelligence creatures to generally stay away from him as it feels like there is something slightly amiss with him" to Immunity to Fear instead, would you have the same problem with it?

Remove ads