Dark Reaper Prestige Class (formerly Grim Reaper)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Okay, I rewrote the beginning flavor and removed proficiencies other than scythes. I also defined Unnerving Presence as [mind-affecting, fear] and reduced the duration of Frightful Presence.

What say the the people of Enworld now?

Velmont

First Post
I would tell that after having taken a quick look, I would say that now the high level power are [Mind-affecting] [Fear], that seems a fine class. It makes the effect clearer and we know how to counter it (Remove Fear, Mind Blank, Paladin Aura, ect...). The high level power could turn quickly the tide of a combat, but someone prepare to it could handle him just as he would handle a figther.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Considering that Unnerving Presence has no mechanical effect on the vast majority of creatures (unless there's a Nervous condition that I'm unaware of), I don't see how it could turn the tide of a battle. And Frightful Presence had the descriptors from the start.

I think Grim Reapers will shine in battles against multiple weak opponents, but against an evenly matched opponent, they will fare about as well as any other character, and the benefit from their abilities will diminish when fighting creatures with HD much over theirs. And like rogues, their abilities will mostly prove unusable when fighting constructs and undead.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Ah. Thanks for the clarification/modification.

Probably the only thing that bothers me about this class is the flavor. Mechanically, it appears sound enough.

Why and how does one get all these supernatural abilities? How does using a scythe and being fearsome relate to getting a skeletal steed? Is there a progenitor, an ancient, powerful warrior whom Grim Reaper's emulate? Do their powers stem from Seto or some other Dark, Forbidding Entity, even though this Entity doesn't restrict the Reapers themselves? (since death is his goal and they do bring death and fear wherever they go). A little more in the ways of background would do.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hmm... the skeletal steed doesn't indeed make any sense anymore as Death was removed from the flavor text (which you'll note now contains references to the powers's origin, though it doesn't give anything definate).

Knight Otu

First Post
Except for the skeletal steed, I see no flavor or mechanical problem. I'll give this a Yes, provided something is done about the skeletal steed (either an explanation or replacement).

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hmm... Short of adding stuff how Seto rode a fearsome beast to battle to Seto's deity write-up, I don't think there's really a way to make it fit. So how about this alternative ability in its stead:

Skill of Fear(Ex): A sixth-level Grim Reaper learns new ways of using fear to his advantage. He can use the Intimidate skill with the following three options in addition to those normally available:
Attention of Fear: With a succesfull Intimidate check as a full-round action that doesn't draw an Attack of Opportunity, a Grim Reaper can hold a creature's attention. The target creature suffers a -5 circumstance penalty to Listen, Search and Spot check as their attention is inadvertantly drawn towards the Grim Reaper. This penalty doesn't apply agains the Grim Reaper himself. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to one-half the Grim Reaper's Charisma score, rounded up, or as long as the Grim Reaper remains visible to the target, whichever is less.
Faith of Fear: If the Grim Reaper acceps a -10 penalty to his Intimidate check while influencing an NPC, the NPC can be treated as Helpful instead of Friendly on a succesfull check. The NPC remains Helpful for 1d6 plus the Grim Reaper's Charisma bonus minutes, after which the NPC remains friendly untill 1d6 x 10 minutes after leaving the Grim Reaper's presence.
Lies of Fear: The Grim Reaper can choose to make an Intimidate check at a -10 penalty instead whenever he would be required to make a Bluff check, including feinting in combat. All normal modifiers for the believability of the bluff applies to the Intimidate check as do the normal modifiers for an Intimidate check, including the target gaining any save modifiers against Fear effects on its Sense Motive check.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Another option, to balance the number of scythe-related abilities in relation to the fear-related ones, would be

Reaper's Cut(Su): A sixth-level Grim Reaper's chosen scythe becomes even more vicious than it was. For the purposes of penetrating Damage Reduction and ignoring Hardness, the chosen scythe is treated as if made from adamantine instead of whatever material it is actually made of as long as it is being wielded by the Grim Reaper.

Basically, it's Ki Strike (Adamantine) usable only with the chosen scythe. The Grim Reaper gains it the earliest at character level 11 compared to 16 of the Monk. It might be a tad on the powerful side for an ability at that level.
It might be easier to just drop the Steed altogether, and move Immunity to Fear or Unnerving Presence to its place. Or allow the Reaper to add their Cha bonus to the number of rounds a creature stays demoralized. Or allow the Reaper to demoralize any number of creatures within their reach instead of just one. Or, or or...

Remove ads