Dark Sun: Dragon Kings... or Sorcerer Kings?

RodneyThompson

First Post
Basically, will the setting use the etymology of "Sorcerer Kings" (as in the original boxed set) or the term "Dragon Kings" (which was the name of the first product to be released for Dark Sun, if memory serves, and was commonly used throughout the rest of the product line)?

I don't think I'll get in any trouble for saying this right now, but the rulers of the city-states are the sorcerer-kings.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
With Dragon-blooded Sorcerers in the PHB II?
Both.

...if I were to hazard a guess anyway...

This is what I'm hoping for as well. There's no reason to do one term and not another, especially when both are iconic to the setting. Besides, dragon-themed sorcerers lend well to dragon-themed sorcerer-kings.

I'm hoping we'll see some dragon/sorcerer king and avangion epic destinies as well. :)

Dire Bare

Legend
This is WotC, you know. Of course there will be an over-emphasis on dragons. I mean, is there any question?

Don't be surprised if it is even public knowledge the rulers are Dragon Kings in 4e Athas.

Yeah, WotC crazy . . . putting all those dragons in their game Dungeons and DRAGONS!!! Crazy!

Dire Bare

Legend
This is what I'm hoping for as well. There's no reason to do one term and not another, especially when both are iconic to the setting. Besides, dragon-themed sorcerers lend well to dragon-themed sorcerer-kings.

I'm hoping we'll see some dragon/sorcerer king and avangion epic destinies as well. :)

I agree, both terms are well-used in the setting and are synonymous. Debating which term to use exclusively seems . . . well, very silly. Is anyone really going to be disappointed if the rulers are referred to as Dragon Kings throughout the new books? Let's get back to important questions like, do Dray have boobs. Sigh.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Debating which term to use exclusively seems . . . well, very silly.
Cute distortions.

If there is a debate, the debate is over what the rulers refer to themselves and how their subjects refer to them. In a world (not a game) with ONE dragon, (The Dragon), having all the rulers publicly refer to themselves as Dragon Kings is a prominent change in the world (not the game).

There is no debate over whether it is worthwhile to take dragon-themed rules and re-skinning them to be used in the setting. Though I think there is significant room for debate over whether just because the game is called Dungeons and Dragons that Athas must make room for chromatic and metalic dragons too, I mean, it's what the game is called! It's in the rules!

arscott

First Post
I don't think I'll get in any trouble for saying this right now, but the rulers of the city-states are the sorcerer-kings.
I'm thinking it would be really cool to take the apotheosis of the dragon kings and map that to some other sorcerer builds. Sure Borys turned into a dragon, and Kalak is on his way, but Tectuktitlay might be a cosmic sorcerer who's turning into something entirely different...

Wik

First Post
I'm thinking it would be really cool to take the apotheosis of the dragon kings and map that to some other sorcerer builds. Sure Borys turned into a dragon, and Kalak is on his way, but Tectuktitlay might be a cosmic sorcerer who's turning into something entirely different...

I was thinking along these lines a while ago, but never really went beyond "what if it wasn't a dragon?". But you totally got me thinking.

Andropinis becomes a Voidsoul of some sort. Tec is based around Blood Magic. Hamanu is a Storm Mage (or would that be Lalali-Put?). Nibenay is, of course, a shadow sorcerer. And Abalach-Re is obviously a Wild Mage.

Squizzle

First Post
Cosmic sorcerers could become a star, a la the Radiant One epic destiny. Storm sorcerers could become that, uh, really storm-focused epic destiny whose name escapes me. Dragon sorcerers are obvious. Wild sorcerers are a bit more difficult. Maybe the fate-based epic destiny in Arcane Power?

Remove ads